• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine cracking and grading impact
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong channel for this question. I have a book that I'm considering sending in for grading (photos attached). It has fairly extensive spine cracking but is otherwise in great condition. How does this sort of cracking typically impact the grade of the book? Is a 9.8 or 9.6 possible with cracking like this? I realize that the best way to confirm this would be to send the book in to CGC for screening, but I was hoping some of you with more experience might be able to comment based on prior experience. Thanks.

IMG_6283.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

I have been wondering about that myself.  Seems like a printing defect at time of manufacture, but maybe someone has more knowledge on that.  How would you differentiate it as a manufacturing defect vs. an abrasion to the spine (actual wear)?

20 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I have been wondering about that myself.  Seems like a printing defect at time of manufacture, but maybe someone has more knowledge on that.  How would you differentiate it as a manufacturing defect vs. an abrasion to the spine (actual wear)?

Yeah, so hard to figure that out. I'm at a loss.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:30 AM, Lightning55 said:

In my experience it depends upon how prevalent the defect is throughout the print run on the issue, or in some cases (such as Marvel's 2000 gatefold books) if it is endemic throughout the publisher's entire line. The best thing you can do is try to find graded copies and see if they have the defect. I have always referred to this as "flaking" at the spine, because cracking and splitting imply much more serious damage.  

On 6/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, seanfingh said:

In my experience it depends upon how prevalent the defect is throughout the print run on the issue, or in some cases (such as Marvel's 2000 gatefold books) if it is endemic throughout the publisher's entire line. The best thing you can do is try to find graded copies and see if they have the defect. I have always referred to this as "flaking" at the spine, because cracking and splitting imply much more serious damage.  

Appreciate the reply. And thanks for the flaking suggestion. I guess cracking does make it sound worse than it is. I'll dig in to existing graded copies and see what I can find out.

39 minutes ago, seekbus said:

Appreciate the reply. And thanks for the flaking suggestion. I guess cracking does make it sound worse than it is. I'll dig in to existing graded copies and see what I can find out.

Yes, seanfingh is right on the money with this. It depends upon how prevalent this defect is on other copies. If it's common (the CGC grading phrase used to be "they all have it") and the rest of the book is perfect, the grade usually fluctuates between 9.6 and 9.4. 

I hope this helps...  :foryou:

1 hour ago, Lookie Lou said:

How about on an X-Men #4 (1963)? Mine has this problem and I've never seen it on any of my others SA books.

My guess is that would be viewed very differently. I'd guess that it's just normal wear and tear that has occurred over the years...