• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission Help
1 1

10 posts in this topic

If this information is posted in another forum, please just direct me to that. 

Is there a good resource for understanding all of the options when submitting books to CGC? A good walkthrough on how to submit? I have watched a couple of videos, but they are pretty basic and just say, chose this, click this, etc. They don't explain what all the options are. Here are the items I am currently unsure of:

What is the box on the "Enter Comic Info" page that says "Has Pedigree"? When do you select that?

What is the difference between all the grading tiers? For example, why would I pick "Value" over "Modern"? To me, value sounds like a tier for if you want to get a discount, but maybe it will take longer to get your book, or there is some other service that won't be included. But Value cost more than Modern. 

If I want to submit a comic that is older than 1975, is the cheapest option "Economy"?

Does the "Value" tier of quick press not have a minimum requirement? Can I choose that and pay more per issue, but not have to submit 15 books?

What is "Image" for $5? Is that a scan of my book before it is slabbed? After it is slabbed? Is that in a database I can access at any time, or is it sent to me as an attachment?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I signed up for my CGC account about a month ago. As part of my membership I was supposed to get a large shipper kit with my membership, and have yet to receive anything. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get that?

Sorry again if these questions are addressed somewhere else. Thank you to anyone that can help me out as a new first time submitter. 

You can get a lot of this info on the CGC website, but unfortunately there isnt a step by step explanation or tutorial. Hopefully the answers below help. 

For pedigree see : https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/
You probably want to leave that blank, it is optional.

Modern vs Value vs everything else: https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc/ 
The main difference is the age of the book you can submit. Modern is for books 1975 - present. If your book is older than 1975 you can use Value since it is the cheapest of the other options. Something to keep in mind is the value of the book. You will have to use the appropriate tier that corresponds with the age AND value of the book you are sending in. The value is used for insurance purpose, so pick an amount you are comfortable getting in the rare case your book is lost, damaged or destroyed.
There is no additional charge to using the full value amount on the tier, for example if you have a modern book that is worth $100 there is no extra charge to use the full $200 amount. You might not get that amount if your book is lost, damaged or destroyed, but it doesnt cost any extra so better extra safe. Should also point out that you cant drastically under value a book in order to get the cheaper rate. I believe CGC will adjust this when they charge you.

Pressing: https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/ccs/
The 15 book minimum requirement applies to both tiers. You pay extra due to the age of the book.

Image: https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/faq/
Ive never tried the image option, but its an image of the book after encapsulation.

Shipping kits:
I think there was a forum post that said it takes about a month to get the free kit. Im not 100% sure on this. CGC customer service is pretty responsive via email in case you want to follow up on the kits

Hope some of this helps.

9 minutes ago, Knightwing J said:

Thanks so much! That was all super helpful. I completely missed the year qualification between value and modern. I think I have enough to get started now. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

One thing I forgot to mention. CGC invoices the different tiers separately, so if you have 5 modern and 5 value you can enter them online at the same time, but it should create two invoices at checkout. Basically you'll get charged shipping and handling for each invoice.

2 hours ago, Avi said:

One thing I forgot to mention. CGC invoices the different tiers separately, so if you have 5 modern and 5 value you can enter them online at the same time, but it should create two invoices at checkout. Basically you'll get charged shipping and handling for each invoice.

This is a really important point that I didn't understand the first submission I sent in. The most cost effective way to submit books is to try to bundle them together in 25 book batches if you can to get the best shipping rates. For example if you sent in 25 modern books and 1 value book you would need to pay separate shipping for each tier.

If you look at the picture below it is $32 to ship 1 book back but $72 for 25 books or $2.88/book. Of course you don't want to slab books that aren't worth it but just be aware that it is more economical to try to bundle books into 25 book bundles/tier.

CGC Shipping Rates.jpg

2 hours ago, Angelo. said:

My submission went from Scheduled For Grading to Grading/Quality Control then back to Scheduled For Grading...and there it remains.....whaddup with that G?

That's unusual. You should call them. Their phone customer service is quite good. 1-877-NM-COMIC

Same thing here on my end.  All of my submissions are suddenly missing.  I'm guessing there is some kind of server issue on their end.

1 hour ago, Angelo. said:

Now I can't even see any of my submissions...it says I havent sent in a submission within the last 8 months. I've got 2 subs in...one was in Grading/Quality Control and the other was in Scheduled for Grading.  What's up with that?

2 hours ago, Angelo. said:

Now I can't even see any of my submissions...it says I havent sent in a submission within the last 8 months. I've got 2 subs in...one was in Grading/Quality Control and the other was in Scheduled for Grading.  What's up with that?