• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wondering how this would've worked out
2 2

15 posts in this topic

parusing Ebay I came across this auction

(thanks RCheli)

10,000+ Modern Comics-Comic Book Store-Marvel-DC-ASM #300-JLA-X-Men-HIGH GRADE

$36,000 Retail-Start Own Comic Book Store-FREE SHIPPING

the positives 10k of books  w/free shipping.  seller seemed  reliable, answered questions promptly, handful of keys watched this auction and planned on putting in a bit for a bit less than 25 cents per book  but just couldn't see myself pulling the trigger on this one, anyone else have hesitation on large purchases recently??? 

Edited by anstettoman

11 hours ago, anstettoman said:

eBay item number:

the positives 10k of books  w/free shipping.  seller seemed  reliable, answered questions promptly, handful of keys watched this auction and planned on putting in a bit for a bit less than 25 cents per book  but just couldn't see myself pulling the trigger on this one, anyone else have hesitation on large purchases recently???

Yes. Financial security > comic books.

There are a lot of things I would like to own now, but with the current economic climate, it's more important that I remain cautious of whether or not my company goes under and/or I maintain job security.

I know the seller of that lot, and while there may be a handful of "decent" books, I know he went through those boxes and picked out 95% of the good items. I mean, if you're buying 10,000 comics and the best thing is a mid-grade ASM #300, you're going to be stuck with a ton of junk. And with no conventions happening, where are you going to sell that stock? It's likely just going to sit in a storage locker where you're paying $100 a month.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes. Financial security > comic books.

There are a lot of things I would like to own now, but with the current economic climate, it's more important that I remain cautious of whether or not my company goes under and/or I maintain job security.

What percentage of an average sized bedroom do you think 10,000 comics would take up?

Also, what is the approximate weight? Would you need to reinforce the flooring?

I'm sure there are many people in here with 10,000+ comic collections but I am currently sitting at about 100 carefully selected issues and I am looking at about 5% of a bedroom closet.

tumblr_pyop8qmjPf1sh566ao1_1280.jpg

2 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

What percentage of an average sized bedroom do you think 10,000 comics would take up?

I'm sure there are many people in here with 10,000+ comic collections but I am currently sitting at about 100 carefully selected issues and I am looking at about 5% of a bedroom closet.

A long box will hold 250 to 300 comics so this would be about 35 longs.  Stacked 4 boxes high you'd have 8 to 9 stacks.  Figure a space of about 10 feet by 3 feet and 4 feet high.

17 hours ago, anstettoman said:

eBay item number:

My search for that item # is coming up blank so it's hard for me to judge the quality of the books.  In general for bulk deals of books that aren't worth a lot I pay 10 cents per book.

46 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

25%?

It's not just the weight and space, it's how easily you can access them. The last big collection I bought (which was smaller than this -- around 25 boxes), I loaded into my living room and I immediately began separating the good/decent from the bad. By the end of the night (around 1 AM), I had 12 decent boxes and 12 crummy ones. I listed the 12 crummy ones on Craigslist for $400 and sold them the following day. That left for a much more manageable collection in that I could organize more easily, bag/board/price them, and not be buried in too much stock.

And here's the closed auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-000-Modern-Comics-Comic-Book-Store-Marvel-DC-ASM-300-JLA-X-Men-HIGH-GRADE-/224030524930

thanks for your help Rcheli on pulling the info on the closed auction. 

I'm glad you personally know the seller. I feel like I didn't miss much but at 22cents per book I figured how bad could I have been beat up. However the lack of places to sell comics and storing them for another year before I could move them I figure I have better places to "invest" my time and money. 

On 6/11/2020 at 7:48 PM, anstettoman said:

(thanks RCheli)

25 cents per book for moderns is 5 times higher than the usual price all the wholesale buyers I know buy such collections at for their comic book stores. 

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

25 cents per book for moderns is 5 times higher than the usual price all the wholesale buyers I know buy such collections at for their comic book stores. 

If I can pick it myself, I have no problem paying $60 and up for a long box of non-key moderns. But if you have to take everything, 5 to 10 cents per book is about average. 

With buys this size, it's not just what good books you pull out of it, it's the bad ones too. I can sell any Spiderman or Batman book eventually. But how am I going to sell those 8 long boxes of post Unity Valiants or common Superman titles from the 00s and 10s or Power Packs... so many Power Packs.

11 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

24 Drawerboxes  easily fit under a King sized mattress and use the rest as a television stand.

My LCS buddy bought 100 longboxes for $500.  It was the biggest nightmare of his life.