• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is the artist?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Garcia-Lopez.  And it might have some age to it.

I would say that it was probably not originally bought directly from Garcia-Lopez.  When Scott Dunbier was selling JLGL's art, none of it was signed.  After getting the art, I'd have to wait until later to get it signed.

Although Spencer Beck handles JLGL art these days and I don't think those pieces are sold with signatures either.

But I think this version of JLGL anatomy goes back to he 80's.

19 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Garcia-Lopez.  And it might have some age to it.

I would say that it was probably not originally bought directly from Garcia-Lopez.  When Scott Dunbier was selling JLGL's art, none of it was signed.  After getting the art, I'd have to wait until later to get it signed.

Although Spencer Beck handles JLGL art these days and I don't think those pieces are sold with signatures either.

But I think this version of JLGL anatomy goes back to he 80's.

Are you certain it is JLGL's? The face looks different than his usual Superman style. I tried contacting JLGL a couple of years ago, but never heard back from him and have no way getting in touch with him. I also tried going through Spencer to get clarification, he didn't think it was JLGL's style and said he would contact him, but again never heard back. It wasn't purchased from Spencer.

Edited by Captain Canuck

The only thing that looks "off" to me is Superman's left bicep.

I don't say it's JLGL because you mentioned it first.  It's because I believe it.  JLGL from a certain period is very distinctive.

3 hours ago, Fred Chamberlain said:

Jose said that it it may be a prelim that d"didnt go anywhere: and is asking if it is on tracing paper. Send me a scan and I'll forward it

Thanks Fred. I will try and get a better scan of it tonight and identify the paper. Does Jose, think he drew it?

1 minute ago, Fred Chamberlain said:

As I mentioned, he thinks it may be a prelim, but would need to see a clearer image.

Is there a chance it was used for a poster or anything promotional? Here is another scan I have of it, I used Photoshop to darken the pencils, but will take a photo of the original tonight.

jgl_supes_bullet-Garcia-lopez2.jpg

Sorry, just being sarcastic. The piece is obviously by JLGL "(a)nyone who says different doesn't know a thing about art." Btw, do you mean comic art or art in general? Again, just joking!

Fred was kind enough to contact JLGL and he was able to confirm that he drew it. Regarding when and if it has been used for anything, he was not sure. I can confirm that it was drawn on bristol. Does anyone know if they have seen it used for any merchandising or posters?