• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-color breaking scratch

6 posts in this topic

I heard somewhere that a 2" crease with no more than 1/2" CB merits a 9.0 (My rule of thumb is to allow up to twice the length of a CB in a non-color breaking crease).

I've heard that scratches are considered more critically than creases.

So in a cover that is otherwise flat and glossy, what does this 2-1/2" non-color breaking crease do?

IMG_20200612_101826.jpg.922c4f84c8f3ea2efb19942cf2774afe.jpg

Not interested in slabbing, more interested in the general grading question.

I can do the math, it suggests 8.0, maybe 8.5, but curious what the consensus is.

FWIW based on other covers in the lot, I don't think it was pressed.

Gratias!

ETA The scratch is much more visible in the photo than IRL, where it is only visible when held at an angle under a light.

Edited by Taylor G

Just now, Taylor G said:

Let's say 9.4 to be safe.  There is a small dimple under the logo.

But this isn't PGM, I'm more interested in general guidelines for grading scratches.  I couldn't find anything specific in searching old discussions.

Everything's relative, though. This particular scratch in this condition I think would fall to 8.5 at the worst. 2c

On 6/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, Taylor G said:

Here's another similar situation.  This does not break color, but there is a 3-1/2" vertical indentation on this cover (ignore the bit of horizontal printing crease at the bottom).  Is this book now down to 7.0?  It's pretty nice otherwise, better than another copy that is pristine, but that one has glue flexing that CGC doesn't care about.

IMG_20200625_145019.thumb.jpg.b6d0da28f28d1d6822fc12cc0b47e47e.jpg

At this point, it would be much easier to simply take a scan of the entire comic (or lots of pictures including one of the entire comic) and post it here so that everyone can get a good sense of the book in general and give their proper opinion.
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/