• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Denny O'Neil
5 5

70 posts in this topic

Huge loss.

I think of him primarily for his role of bringing DC into the Bronze Age - having written such definitive "return to seriousness" issues as:

- Detective 395 / Batman 217/232/234/251 (Batman)

- Wonder Woman 178

- Superman 233

- Green Lantern 76

- Brave & Bold 85

- The Shadow 1

Crazy to think he was still involved with Batman when I was collecting in the early 1990s, helping launch Legends of the Dark Knight & co-creating Azrael.

22 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Another great achievement of his is being part of the renaissance at Marvel in the 80s, as an editor. Were it not for him and others (like his boss Shooter), Marvel would probably not exist today.

He had a great DD run as well. Obituaries are really starting to make me feel older.

31 minutes ago, romanheart said:

He had a great DD run as well. Obituaries are really starting to make me feel older.

Man, I would have never considered that run of DD to be "vintage", more akin to a modern book instead. But the other day, someone was selling them and stating that they held their value in the past 40 years and I was like 40 YEARS!!?!?! 

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

RIP

I'm reminded of the story Peter David told IIRC; during a screening of Batman & Robin when Batman pulled out a credit card, Mr. O'Neill loudly sighed and walked out

That reminds me of another DC story -- when I was interning there, Warner Bros screened "Superman IV:  The Quest for Peace" for the entire DC staff before the movie was released.  (They had a little mini theater on one of their floors across the street in Rockefeller Center.  You never know what is in those high-rise offices.)  There were so many groans, guffaws and smart-alec "Mystery Science Theater"-type shouts at the screen that I almost peed my pants.  I don't recall specifically if Denny was there for that.

A classic writer from my Bronze Age childhood, and a very sad loss.   :frown:

One of his runs that hasn't been mentioned yet is his excellent Copper Age 80s Iron Man, not so much for the super-heroics, but for the descent into worsening alcoholism, dysfunction, loss, and eventual homelessness of Tony Stark, a progression from David Michelinie and Bob Layton's earlier 'Demon in a Bottle' storyline. A very dark, powerful and ultimately very, very tragic tale, also making it necessary for someone else, James Rhodes, to become his Golden Avenger replacement.

Overlooked when compared to his more famous 70s relevance material such as Green Lantern / Green Arrow, but still, a later example of his trademark, socially-orientated storytelling.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, mrc said:

My earliest recollection of a Denny story ...............RIP :sorry:

DIG028507_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Great starting point.

Mine was a reprint of Batman 251 in a mini-digest comic, late 70s.  One of his best stories, and perfect synergy with some of Neal Adams' career-best artwork; a BA classic.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

I am not familiar with his work as I usually only buy very specific things, though I have heard his name before. Sounds like he did some great stuff. 

He created Ra's al Ghul, Lady Shiva & Dr Leslie Thompkins, to name a few.

45 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Probably one of the comics I remember him the most for is Iron Man #182.

1MtSOHP.jpg

Yup. That’s the very, very tragic scene I referred to.

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 hours ago, paperheart said:

RIP

I'm reminded of the story Peter David told IIRC; during a screening of Batman & Robin when Batman pulled out a credit card, Mr. O'Neill loudly sighed and walked out

I am confused little bit. So Dennis had a bad credit or what?

Edited by JollyComics

17 minutes ago, JollyComics said:
7 hours ago, paperheart said:

I am confused little bit. So Dennis had a bad credit?

I believe Dennis was watching a movie,  in which batman pulled out a credit card....

And o'Neil while watching the movie and upon seeing Batman pulled out a credit card o'Neil sighed loudly :tink:edit meaning he was exasperated about batman using or the thought that he'd pull out a credit card, not a reflection of himself

Edited by ADAMANTIUM