• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 25 BA Marvel Keys (No DC)
2 2

57 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, piper said:

What if we take out the price variants as well?

I kind of ignore those for the purposes of most lists unless dependent on extant copies or market value.  

Here’s a list of titles (in no order) along with a few other characters that made 1st appearances for Marvel. I don’t think I included anyone that came after the first month or so of 1981. Folks can add/delete as they see fit.  @piper can further define criteria.

1.     Incredible Hulk 181
    2.     GSXM 1
    3.    X-Men 94?
    4.    Marvel Spotlight 5 - Ghost Rider
    5.    Marvel Premiere 15 - Iron Fist
    6.    Hero For Hire 1
    7.    Marvel Preview 4
    8.    TOD 10
    9.    TOD 1?
    10.    Special Marvel Edition 15 - Shang Chi
    11.    Nova 1
    12.    She Hulk 1
    13.    X-Men 130 -Dazzler
    14.    Marvel Spotlight 28 - Moon Knight
    15.    Iron Man 55
    16.    ASM 101
    17.    ASM 129
    18.    Conan 1
    19.    ASM 194 - Black Cat
    20.    Avengers 195 - Taskmaster
    21.    Marvel Spotlight 32 - Spider-Woman
    22.    Marvel Spotlight 2 - WWBN
    23.    Savage Tales 1 - Man-Thing
    24.    Marvel Feature 1 - Defenders?
    25.    Astonishing Tales 25 - Deathlok
    26.    DD 168 ?
    27.    Machine Man 19 - Jack O’Lantern?
    28.    Eternals 1

29.   Captain America 117

Tigra, Shanna The She-Devil, Moondragon, Valkyrie, Killraven, Son Of Satan, Black Goliath, Captain Britain, Ms. Marvel, Howard The Duck, Machine Man...

Edited by steveinthecity
Add list.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, piper said:

I scoured the Bronze Forum and didn't see anything recent, so I thought I would start a new thread.

I'm looking to put together a nice, higher grade grouping of Bronze Marvel first appearances and wondered what I should include.

Here's my list so far in no particular order:

1. Hulk 181 (have it)

2. GS X 1 (have it)

3. MS 5 (have it)

4. MP 15

5. HFH 1

6. Marvel Preview 4 (have it, should this be on the list?)

7. TOD 10

8. SME 15 (have it)

Maybe Nova, She Hulk, Rocket Racoon?

Thanks,

John,

great ... thanks for making me feel like tihs..

many hunters are after Iron Fist 14.. I always considered that a big BA book... a longtime key wall book 

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

They can be more popular/valuable, but never more important as comics.

What about GI Joe # 21?

It's a key Marvel Copper Age book by any measure, but you'd disavow it because it was a cartoon first?

It's important not just for the first appearance of Storm Shadow but also for its unique (for the time) storytelling style.

5 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I kind of ignore those for the purposes of most lists unless dependent on extant copies or market value.  

Here’s a list of titles (in no order) along with a few other characters that made 1st appearances for Marvel. I don’t think I included anyone that came after the first month or so of 1981. Folks can add/delete as they see fit.  @piper can further define criteria.

1.     Incredible Hulk 181
    2.     GSXM 1
    3.    X-Men 94?
    4.    Marvel Spotlight 5 - Ghost Rider
    5.    Marvel Premiere 15 - Iron Fist
    6.    Hero For Hire 1
    7.    Marvel Preview 4
    8.    TOD 10
    9.    TOD 1?
    10.    Special Marvel Edition 15 - Shang Chi
    11.    Nova 1
    12.    She Hulk 1
    13.    X-Men 130 -Dazzler
    14.    Marvel Spotlight 28 - Moon Knight
    15.    Iron Man 55
    16.    ASM 101
    17.    ASM 129
    18.    Conan 1
    19.    ASM 194 - Black Cat
    20.    Avengers 195 - Taskmaster
    21.    Marvel Spotlight 32 - Spider-Woman
    22.    Marvel Spotlight 2 - WWBN
    23.    Savage Tales 1 - Man-Thing
    24.    Marvel Feature 1 - Defenders?
    25.    Astonishing Tales 25 - Deathlok
    26.    DD 168 ?
    27.    Machine Man 19 - Jack O’Lantern?
    28.    Eternals 1

29.   Captain America 117

Tigra, Shanna The She-Devil, Moondragon, Valkyrie, Killraven, Son Of Satan, Black Goliath, Captain Britain, Ms. Marvel, Howard The Duck, Machine Man...

Why focus exclusively on first appearances but then include X-Men 94 (which is absolutely a Top 10 Marvel key, but has no first appearances)?

I'd include books like ASM 120-121 and Marvel Premiere 1 -- and yes - Star Wars 1 - before the first appearances of Jack O'Lantern, Man-Thing, or even Deathlok (whom I love).

Nobody will care about Taskmasker in a year - that's a short-term speculation play only, not a key.

And X-Men 129 (first White Queen and Kitty Pryde) trumps 130 (first Dazzler). White Queen's evolved from a villain to a major X-Men member/team leader over the last 20 years.

Mystique's also far more important than Dazzler, so Ms. Marvel 18 continues to be key, even if no one cares since she's already been in 7 movies.

And, to echo previous posters - you're still missing Werewolf 32 and Iron Fist 14.

Iron Fist 14's dropped off because there's no current movie speculation (since he's already appeared in two films), but it's still a major key.

Also, why Marvel Preview # 4 but not # 7?

# 7 (first Rocket Raccoon) makes the top 20 most-valuable Overstreets list; # 4 does not. Importance-wise - I see the characters as basically equal.

Edited by Gatsby77

37 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Scooby Doo #1 is a top bronze key .......

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

The Overstreet's list is validated by GPA. Excluding two $.35 variants, Scooby Doo # 1 is the 2nd-most valuable book of the decade - after only Hulk 181.

It costs a lot more, grade-for-grade, than Marvel Spotlight # 5, Giant-Size X-Men # 1 or House of Secrets # 92.

5 hours ago, littledoom said:

great ... thanks for making me feel like tihs..

many hunters are after Iron Fist 14.. I always considered that a big BA book... a longtime key wall book 

:tonofbricks:

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Why focus exclusively on first appearances but then include X-Men 94 (which is absolutely a Top 10 Marvel key, but has no first appearances)?

Nobody will care about Taskmasker in a year - that's a short-term speculation play only, not a key.

And X-Men 129 (first White Queen and Kitty Pryde) trumps 130 (first Dazzler). White Queen's evolved from a villain to a major X-Men member/team leader over the last 20 years.

Mystique's also far more important than Dazzler, so Ms. Marvel 18 continues to be key, even if no one cares since she's already been in 7 movies.

And, to echo previous posters - you're still missing Werewolf 32 and Iron Fist 14.

Also, why Marvel Preview # 4 but not # 7?

# 7 (first Rocket Raccoon) makes the top 20 most-valuable Overstreets list; # 4 does not. Importance-wise - I see the characters as basically equal.

Trying to follow the OP’s criteria. Thought the list would be a fair jumping off point and be adjusted as we go along. X-Men 94 seemed redundant as a first appearance.

4 hours ago, piper said:

Ok. How about top 25, no DC, no variants, any key ok for whatever reason, based on importance to the hobby?

Based on “importance to the hobby” implies consideration of value (to me anyways), so that list is easy. Top 25 BA Marvel at current fmv.  Nothing really to discuss or haggle about. :)

On 6/13/2020 at 7:44 AM, steveinthecity said:

I think one thing that might work against Star Wars(for some) is it not being any part of the larger Marvel Universe.  Conan doesn’t seem affected the same way, even though he’s on his own outside of Red Sonja and What If?.

And the 2099 universe ;)

3 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

Based on “importance to the hobby” implies consideration of value (to me anyways), so that list is easy. Top 25 BA Marvel at current fmv.  Nothing really to discuss or haggle about.

:p No, value is based on supply and demand, not importance. If two equally important and in-demand books have different supplies (for any reason), their prices will be different.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

:p No, value is based on supply and demand, not importance. If two equally important and in-demand books have different supplies (for any reason), their prices will be different.

I get supply and demand.  What defines “importance” in this context? Is Scooby-Do 1 important to the hobby? More or less than Star Wars 1?  

45 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

I get supply and demand.  What defines “importance” in this context? Is Scooby-Do 1 important to the hobby? More or less than Star Wars 1?  

Scooby Do while a great kids cartoon and hard to find is in my opinion not important to the hobby. 

I think Conan is important as it brought in a new era of sword and fantasy comics.