• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove OA or Not?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

A few years ago I picked up a special edition of the NYX X-23 Hard Cover that collects X-23 (2005) #1-6 & NYX #1-7. What makes this edition "special" is that it contains one of ten sketches of X-23 by Billy Tan. It's a fairly basic sketch of X-23, but there is something about it that I really like. She looks so fierce... almost possessed. I think it's a really cool take on the character. And, while it's not a published piece or an expensive commission, it's one of my favorite X-23 OA pieces.

I could care less about the book. I purchased it only for the sketch. Because it's part of the book, it sits on my bookshelf and not in my Itoya's or hanging on my wall, so unless I'm surfing through my (very modest) CAF gallery, I usually forget that I have it... out of sight, out of mind.

So, here's my question: how terrible would it be if I removed the page from the book? How would doing so affect the value/authenticity of the piece, if at all. I know it's my art and I can do what I want with it, but something keeps holding me back from removing it. I'm not sure what. I guess I don't want to diminish it's uniqueness as part of me feels like it's associated with being part of this limited, 1-of-10 offering.

I don't know. What do you think? 

A sincere thanks for your input/suggestions/comments.

IMG_1065.jpg

X-23 Ebay Purchase Pic2 Cropped.jpg

If it was just a sketch in a book, I'd say you could cut it out and not feel too guilty about it.

Since it's 1 of 10 drawings...

It may only matter if those 10 drawings were done as "official" drawings for the publisher or if Billy Tan had 10 complimentary copies and created his own "limited edition" to boost the value of his comp copies.  He could sell 10 comps at a convention for X dollars or sell them for even more with a sketch.

And if the book isn't generally highly valued, it may not matter whether or not the book has a limited sketch or not.

As for affecting the value I would say yes, it will take away value as this book/sketch was a limited edition promotion. Separating that loses the appeal, imo. If you plan on keeping it than rip away! It's all what you like!

You could make a hi-resolution scan of the art and make a personal copy to see if you like living with it, apart from the book.

This you could display for friends and family, while keeping the book intact.  Mark it clearly on the reverse as a reference print for personal use, not resale.

Best, David

First, thank you all for your comments/suggestions. Each of you have some amazing OA and I really appreciate your opinions.

A few additional comments...

10 hours ago, Will_K said:

If it was just a sketch in a book, I'd say you could cut it out and not feel too guilty about it.

Since it's 1 of 10 drawings...

It may only matter if those 10 drawings were done as "official" drawings for the publisher or if Billy Tan had 10 complimentary copies and created his own "limited edition" to boost the value of his comp copies.  He could sell 10 comps at a convention for X dollars or sell them for even more with a sketch.

And if the book isn't generally highly valued, it may not matter whether or not the book has a limited sketch or not.

I know very little about the background of these sketches. I’ve tried researching the what/where/when/what surrounding these sketches have basically come up with a goose egg. I did, however, find an owner of one of the other 10 sketches on CAF. I posed the same question and he told me he plans on keeping it in the book.

I think your last comment may be the most pertinent... I don’t think the book has much value outside of the cover price. It’s certainly not something I expect to increase in value nor is it something I would have purchased had the sketch not been part of it.

9 hours ago, Blastaar said:

As for affecting the value I would say yes, it will take away value as this book/sketch was a limited edition promotion. Separating that loses the appeal, imo. If you plan on keeping it than rip away! It's all what you like!

I don’t ever plan on selling it. It was the second piece of OA that I ever purchased... and my first X-23 piece... so it has some sentimental value to me. Additionally, I just really like the piece.

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I would never cut it from the book. If I were getting it framed, I would try a skybox with UV glass. 

Thanks Rick2you2. I’ll have to research this option. I’m not familiar with the term skybox, but will definitely look into it.

6 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Many of the sketches Carmine Infantino drew in his autobiography were cut out and resold. I’ve seen a few for sale, myself.

Thanks Michael!

6 hours ago, Skizz said:

This feels like a real moral dilemma.

I’d say do it, it’s no good having the art hidden away in the book. But at the same time it feel sacrilegious to cut the art out.

Sorry if I’m only adding to the indecision. 

Thanks Skizz. I think you hit the nail on the head. It does feel somewhat sacrilegious to remove the art. I want to respect the artist’s/publisher’s intent and the fact that this is one of ten. At some point, as crazy as it sounds, maybe all 10 sketches will be under 1 roof. 

all of that said, I couldn’t agree more with your first sentence... that’s what I’m leaning towards, I just don’t want to be selfish.

5 hours ago, aokartman said:

You could make a hi-resolution scan of the art and make a personal copy to see if you like living with it, apart from the book.

This you could display for friends and family, while keeping the book intact.  Mark it clearly on the reverse as a reference print for personal use, not resale.

Best, David

Great idea David. I need to consider this.

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

If OCD is driving you, I would probably keep as is. But that's me. If you are wanting to frame and put on the wall, I would not hesitate. 

Thanks JadeGiant. My initial plan was to have it professionally framed and hang it. But when I went to cut it out, I started having second thoughts. For whatever reason, it felt wrong.

I guess I’m the end, I bought the art to enjoy and I really can’t do that when it’s out of sight, out of mind...

Thanks again for all your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I really appreciate you all taking the time to do so.

9 minutes ago, MDK@cgc said:

First, thank you all for your comments/suggestions. Each of you have some amazing OA and I really appreciate your opinions.

A few additional comments...

I know very little about the background of these sketches. I’ve tried researching the what/where/when/what surrounding these sketches have basically come up with a goose egg. I did, however, find an owner of one of the other 10 sketches on CAF. I posed the same question and he told me he plans on keeping it in the book.

I think your last comment may be the most pertinent... I don’t think the book has much value outside of the cover price. It’s certainly not something I expect to increase in value nor is it something I would have purchased had the sketch not been part of it.

I don’t ever plan on selling it. It was the second piece of OA that I ever purchased... and my first X-23 piece... so it has some sentimental value to me. Additionally, I just really like the piece.

Thanks Rick2you2. I’ll have to research this option. I’m not familiar with the term skybox, but will definitely look into it.

Thanks Michael!

Thanks Skizz. I think you hit the nail on the head. It does feel somewhat sacrilegious to remove the art. I want to respect the artist’s/publisher’s intent and the fact that this is one of ten. At some point, as crazy as it sounds, maybe all 10 sketches will be under 1 roof. 

all of that said, I couldn’t agree more with your first sentence... that’s what I’m leaning towards, I just don’t want to be selfish.

Great idea David. I need to consider this.

Thanks JadeGiant. My initial plan was to have it professionally framed and hang it. But when I went to cut it out, I started having second thoughts. For whatever reason, it felt wrong.

I guess I’m the end, I bought the art to enjoy and I really can’t do that when it’s out of sight, out of mind...

Thanks again for all your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I really appreciate you all taking the time to do so.

A skybox is like a frame for thick 3D objects, usually with a depth of about two inches or so. They can be used for “framing” things like seashells, butterflies, the kid’s baby shoes, etc.

I bought one of Frazetta's sketchbooks that has 10+ sketches in it from his Lord of the Rings portfolio.  I don't have it in me yet to cut them out to frame up, like has been done with many/most of his sketchbooks. Not sure how this one survived the scisssors mostly unscathed (1 page is missing, which I have found in a blackhole collection).

I'm not sure if it's a viable option or not, but I would be curious to know if he might be willing to take the idea and flesh it out just a bit as a commission project.

As you say, it's a fairly simple sketch, but I'm sure he could capture a similar feel with a slightly more detailed piece.  

I say that admittedly having no idea what his commission rate is (or whether he even offers them), but it was an idea that came to mind as I considered your dilemma.

Thanks for the suggestions cstojano, ShallowDan, & grapeape... they’re much appreciated.

10 hours ago, cstojano said:

I bought one of Frazetta's sketchbooks that has 10+ sketches in it from his Lord of the Rings portfolio.  I don't have it in me yet to cut them out to frame up, like has been done with many/most of his sketchbooks. Not sure how this one survived the scisssors mostly unscathed (1 page is missing, which I have found in a blackhole collection).

I guess there is some precedent for removing art from its original source. Aside from personal affinity for the piece, I’m sure the Frazetta sketchbook is SIGNIFICANTLY more valuable than what I’ve got 😊. And, it sounds like all of the sketches are/were part of a single book, i.e. a true collection of sketches. I think I would have a much harder time breaking up a collection like that. Good luck pulling that final sketch from the blackhole... 

9 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

I'm not sure if it's a viable option or not, but I would be curious to know if he might be willing to take the idea and flesh it out just a bit as a commission project.

As you say, it's a fairly simple sketch, but I'm sure he could capture a similar feel with a slightly more detailed piece.  

I say that admittedly having no idea what his commission rate is (or whether he even offers them), but it was an idea that came to mind as I considered your dilemma.

Great idea ShallowDan... I never even thought of that as an option. Duh! 😊 I’ll reach out to him/his representation and see if that’s a viable solution. Thanks again for the great suggestion!