• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying Something You Don’t Like
1 1

59 posts in this topic

I have been debating whether to post this or not, because saying it out loud sounds pretty stupid. I am thinking about buying a piece that I don’t like, and was wondering if anyone has done that before. If so, did you ever think later it was a good idea? No, this is not about buying for investing.

The art in question is by an artist whose work I do not like. I have not liked it for over 30 years. But, the piece in question would be a good representative of the artist’s work on a certain run of books, and my completist instincts do like that. I also like to compare art, and this would be an excellent example to compare to things I do like. It provides a good contrast in styles. Part of me actually wants to buy it so I can say to myself, boy is that bad (it actually isn’t horrible, just uninteresting, with flourishes in all the wrong places). Some people find the Rocky Horror Show worth watching.  

Anyway, it’s a slow Saturday. 

I almost do that
there was a Rob Liefield Splash for sale.

I hate Lifield work, I like the character in the splash.
yes even when I hate liefield I was debating to have an example of his work in my collection...

Finally I decide no...

14 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have been debating whether to post this or not, because saying it out loud sounds pretty stupid. I am thinking about buying a piece that I don’t like, and was wondering if anyone has done that before. If so, did you ever think later it was a good idea? No, this is not about buying for investing.

The art in question is by an artist whose work I do not like. I have not liked it for over 30 years. But, the piece in question would be a good representative of the artist’s work on a certain run of books, and my completist instincts do like that. I also like to compare art, and this would be an excellent example to compare to things I do like. It provides a good contrast in styles. Part of me actually wants to buy it so I can say to myself, boy is that bad (it actually isn’t horrible, just uninteresting, with flourishes in all the wrong places). Some people find the Rocky Horror Show worth watching.  

Anyway, it’s a slow Saturday. 

Are you talking about the Phantom Stranger by Talaoc?

1 hour ago, MagnusX said:

Are you talking about the Phantom Stranger by Talaoc?

Bingo. The way he drew PS ..., but the layout is okay.

Do you like his work? Some people must, since it has some time left before closing, and I think it is at, or almost at, market.

Edited by Rick2you2

17 minutes ago, Will_K said:

All good points.  You didn't indicate cost was a factor.  If not, do it.

Are you posting so that you'll be convinced to not buy a piece that you don't like ?

Cost is not a direct factor, but I am in the process of buying some other pieces, and like everyone, I do like to watch my cash flow.

My other half thinks I am nuts to consider going for it. 

1 hour ago, Skizz said:

Others have already mentioned that what you’re thinking is not unusual from a completionist perspective. But if I can add another thought to that.

There is the idea of looking at your collection as a whole.  Just because every piece in the collection is individually amazing, doesn’t necessarily mean the collection as a whole is interesting (or even great). 

If you think of the collection like roller coaster or a cinema, there ought to be high and lows. An ugly piece in of itself can actually become beautiful as part of a larger collection. Or at least it can give that collection more depth and meaning.

So I guess the question for you to ask may be ‘does this piece make my overall collection better as a whole?’.

Hope that helps.

I have actually taken that perspective in a different way by pursuing distinctly different styles and subjects. For example, I have a double cover from Scribblenauts Unleashed with a cuddly Phantom Stranger. I commissioned Colleen Doran to do a female version. I have a funny animal version. Then there is the more typical variation between super-realism and stylistic work (which I prefer these days). But I passed on an Alan Kupperberg story from Firestorm and have passed on a lot of mediocre stuff. So, to put it differently, is this bad enough in my eyes (other opinions may vary) that it warrants special attention?

Let me add something: is it wrong to try buying something I don’t like if it denies the piece to someone who does like it? Yes, that also bothers me.

Edited by Rick2you2

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Bingo. The way he drew PS ..., but the layout is okay.

Do you like his work? Some people must, since it has some time left before closing, and I think it is at, or almost at, market.

I am not familiar with his art.
But this is a very solid piece
Large Phantom Stranger, Splash, Title page, 1975, Mummy killing, Egyptian background. 

I don't think this had reach his potential, still 2 more days to go.
Easily $ 1,500

We are talking about a 45 years old piece/splash/ title page
you keep it in your closet for 5 years
and suddenly it become a half century piece of art...

Edited by MagnusX

Personally, I would never buy anything I don’t like.  However, I’m not really a completist so I don’t have that sort of dilemma.

So, if your completist sense compels you to buy the piece, if you can reasonably afford it and it is readily available, then I don’t see it as a problem.  And should you have second thoughts afterwards, perhaps it can be used later in a trade for a piece you really do like.

1 hour ago, MagnusX said:

I am not familiar with his art.
But this is a very solid piece
Large Phantom Stranger, Splash, Title page, 1975, Mummy killing, Egyptian background. 

I don't think this had reach his potential, still 2 more days to go.
Easily $ 1,500

The problem I have is mostly with his style. I just don’t like it much. I also think the detailing of PS is mediocre. Ordinarily, I would figure in the $1,000 to $1,500 range, but this discussion may affect it. 

It’s not such a foreign concept to me. Not as much as the misnomer that additional detail in any way = more value or quality for a given piece of art.

As one who also used to have a very deep character-based collection, I remember the mindset well. In my case it was having examples of my character of choice, by as many artists as I could get, especially those that I admired. Even to the point of disliking the actual work.

Ever seen Jack Kirby’s Deadman? Yucky poo! But I had it. Deep in my portfolio. Dan Jurgens, Action Comics... :sick:

I had much buried deep in my portfolio. When my priorities shifted, and the nature of my collection shifted, it was so easy to get rid of these pieces. And then I couldn’t believe how much of what I had tied up in stuff I really didn’t like, just because I thought it gave the collection some imagined intellectual/checklisty importance it never really had.

I actually bought a piece I didn’t like to try and replace one I let get away. Early 2000’s I sold a four panel John Buscema/ Dan Adkins Silver Surfer Page for good money.

Later on, missing the page, I found a Marvel Fanfare Page by Buscema with inks by Jack Abel. I did not like the inking but it was affordable. My thinking was that prices were going up on The Silver Surfer original series and I might not ever afford another page. So despite my misgivings I bought the Marvel Fanfare Page:

I tried to love it. When I received it in the mail it looked worse in person then the photo online. The inking was dreadful.

I kept it for two years then sold it for a small profit.

Later on a miracle took place and I landed what many collectors have told me is their grail interior John Buscema Silver Surfer Page. This made me whole.

Its not crazy to bite on a page you don’t necessarily love. I suspect you at some point will let it go if you get it. Unless it grows on you which is possible.

I’ve never collected from a completist perspective. Because it fits into the way you like to collect I will urge you to go ahead and win that page.

🍇 🦍 

I can understand your motivations with something like this, but I would probably save the "piece I hate" for the last part of the collection I was assembling.  Unless your funds are such that this purchase would be using the equivalent of change found behind the sofa cushions, I'd say first focus on that which you like.  

...although in my case poorly-timed, ill-advised purchases do have a way of bringing to light something that I really want (once the other funds are officially spent)

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

I actually bought a piece I didn’t like to try and replace one I let get away. Early 2000’s I sold a four panel John Buscema/ Dan Adkins Silver Surfer Page for good money.

Later on, missing the page, I found a Marvel Fanfare Page by Buscema with inks by Jack Abel. I did not like the inking but it was affordable. My thinking was that prices were going up on The Silver Surfer original series and I might not ever afford another page. So despite my misgivings I bought the Marvel Fanfare Page:

I tried to love it. When I received it in the mail it looked worse in person then the photo online. The inking was dreadful.

I kept it for two years then sold it for a small profit.

Later on a miracle took place and I landed what many collectors have told me is their grail interior John Buscema Silver Surfer Page. This made me whole.

Its not crazy to bite on a page you don’t necessarily love. I suspect you at some point will let it go if you get it. Unless it grows on you which is possible.

I’ve never collected from a completist perspective. Because it fits into the way you like to collect I will urge you to go ahead and win that page.

🍇 🦍 

It is also now getting into a price range in which I may prefer to wait for a cheaper one from the artist. Not due to a lack of funds, just an unwillingness to spend them.