• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying Something You Don’t Like
1 1

59 posts in this topic

As a character specific collector, there are almost definitely cases where I would buy a piece of art I did not personally care much for. The art would generally have to either be part of a set I otherwise did care a lot about or be a key splash in the character's history. Fortunately this is not a problem I've had to worry about yet given the quality of the artists on Cosmic Ghost Rider.

I've done it once for the sake of completion though several years later I ended up selling the art.

In a similar vein, I've bought all of the classic DR WHO series on DVD, even though I don't care much for the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras - which are likely to remain as 'Viewed only once'.  It's the collector mentality.

If you can live with the cost of the art, maybe you should buy it  - if, for nothing, else, it will stop you agonizing over it.  You could always re-sell the art later on if you decide on a purge.

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

I've done it once for the sake of completion though several years later I ended up selling the art.

In a similar vein, I've bought all of the classic DR WHO series on DVD, even though I don't care much for the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras - which are likely to remain as 'Viewed only once'.  It's the collector mentality.

If you can live with the cost of the art, maybe you should buy it  - if, for nothing, else, it will stop you agonizing over it.  You could always re-sell the art later on if you decide on a purge.

I did. I won. I guess my last comment was too cryptic.

14 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

If you like the style, this one is about as good as they get. He did several books near the end of the Series 2 run, and I felt I needed one as a representative.

I'm not a fan of his work in the latter half of the PS run.

12 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Nice page - you planning to get the indicia recreated?

Debating that point. Probably not. I am not a fan of fixing work, but that glue smear is ugly.
If you like the artist, his stuff is not too expensive. I like it better than Dillin’s work, but to me, that is a very low bar.

17 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Debating that point. Probably not. I am not a fan of fixing work, but that glue smear is ugly.
If you like the artist, his stuff is not too expensive. I like it better than Dillin’s work, but to me, that is a very low bar.

I hear you re the smear - I would have the stat colored to match the page as I would find a bright white replacement more obtrusive than the glue but I would likely opt to have it replaced myself. 

I am familiar with GT and he inked over Sal Buscema for a good stretch. A lot of the art I don't care for enough to pay up for it but I will eventually get a Sal/GT page (not because I need a representation, rather I want one that appeals to me at a certain price point). 

Congrats - I like the page

6 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

I hear you re the smear - I would have the stat colored to match the page as I would find a bright white replacement more obtrusive than the glue but I would likely opt to have it replaced myself. 

I am familiar with GT and he inked over Sal Buscema for a good stretch. A lot of the art I don't care for enough to pay up for it but I will eventually get a Sal/GT page (not because I need a representation, rather I want one that appeals to me at a certain price point). 

Congrats - I like the page

Where and how would you get the stat? I can scan in an original page. Is there a better process than scanning and cutting in Photoshop?

14 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I did. I won. I guess my last comment was too cryptic.

Congrats!  I'd say that if you had to get something from an artist that you weren't crazy about you could do a LOT worse than this.  The page has a nice composition/layout.  Consider her the prettiest of the homely girls.

11 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

Congrats!  I'd say that if you had to get something from an artist that you weren't crazy about you could do a LOT worse than this.  The page has a nice composition/layout.  Consider her the prettiest of the homely girls.

True, but no BJ’s. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Where and how would you get the stat? I can scan in an original page. Is there a better process than scanning and cutting in Photoshop?

I know there are plenty of people that can do these but I haven't needed this done yet so I can't be more specific. There are probably threads started on the topic I would imagine. 

I like the splash, but as you're a Phantom Stranger collector I can see how you wouldn't. His figure is the worst part of it and looks kind of wonky. especially the face. But I dig the mummy and the setting. As a PS collector I can see why you'd want a representative piece from the artists who worked on the book, even ones you're not wild about. So my advice is keep it, enjoy it to the extent you can, and when/if you need to sell or trade something, it's a piece you won't find it hard to part with. Same if you find a Talaoc page from the series you like better to take its place. I understand your impulse...I love Herb Trimpe's Shogun Warriors art but I also bought a splash by Mike Vosburg even though I didn't especially like it (I didn't hate it either, and I like Vosburg's art on other stuff, just not this book) mostly because I like the characters and it showed all three robots and it was reasonably priced. I parted with it a couple years later and don't miss it.

3 hours ago, christosgage said:

I like the splash, but as you're a Phantom Stranger collector I can see how you wouldn't. His figure is the worst part of it and looks kind of wonky. especially the face. But I dig the mummy and the setting. As a PS collector I can see why you'd want a representative piece from the artists who worked on the book, even ones you're not wild about. So my advice is keep it, enjoy it to the extent you can, and when/if you need to sell or trade something, it's a piece you won't find it hard to part with. Same if you find a Talaoc page from the series you like better to take its place. I understand your impulse...I love Herb Trimpe's Shogun Warriors art but I also bought a splash by Mike Vosburg even though I didn't especially like it (I didn't hate it either, and I like Vosburg's art on other stuff, just not this book) mostly because I like the characters and it showed all three robots and it was reasonably priced. I parted with it a couple years later and don't miss it.

The jawline on PS is absurd. The pendent ought not be defining the amount of turtleneck shirt that is showing. The jacket over the turtleneck shirt is virtually non-existent, and he appears to have eliminated PS's testicles (probably atrophied anyway). And then, there is that mystical cape flipping up on the bottom. Was there a hugh updraft in that room? He did that with a number of his pages, which always annoyed me--having the cape bottom flip up for no good reason, and twisty high in some images, too (not so bad in this case).  The layout is good, and so is the way the story name is included. The background is detailed and better than average, but indirectly detracts from the main character.

Where it will come in particularly handy is via comparison with other splash page type images. You get to see what makes other ones look good (or bad) by comparison, and how styles differ. Much harder to do with panel pages because the images are so diverse. That helps me to define why I like something, and why not (a good exercise for any collector, IMO, who plans to buy more stuff).

I have looked at his art for sale before, and this is about as good as it gets (at least for my purposes). So, I doubt I will part with it since it will continue to serve its purpose.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The jawline on PS is absurd. The pendent ought not be defining the amount of turtleneck shirt that is showing. The jacket over the turtleneck shirt is virtually non-existent, and he appears to have eliminated PS's testicles (probably atrophied anyway). And then, there is that mystical cape flipping up on the bottom. Was there a hugh updraft in that room? He did that with a number of his pages, which always annoyed me--having the cape bottom flip up for no good reason, and twisty high in some images, too (not so bad in this case).  The layout is good, and so is the way the story name is included. The background is detailed and better than average, but indirectly detracts from the main character.

Where it will come in particularly handy is via comparison with other splash page type images. You get to see what makes other ones look good (or bad) by comparison, and how styles differ. Much harder to do with panel pages because the images are so diverse. That helps me to define why I like something, and why not (a good exercise for any collector, IMO, who plans to buy more stuff).

I have looked at his art for sale before, and this is about as good as it gets (at least for my purposes). So, I doubt I will part with it since it will continue to serve its purpose.

So I take it you won’t be changing your username on here to “TalaocMan” anytime soon?