• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying Something You Don’t Like
1 1

59 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, lobrac said:

So I take it you won’t be changing your username on here to “TalaocMan” anytime soon?

In fairness, art is a matter of taste, and even the best artists have bad days. So I don’t want to sound completely negative. But no, this run is not what I like (and I can be picky).

By way of counter-example, I generally like John Byrne’s work, but not on Wonder Woman.

Edited by Rick2you2

I’ve done it , but only when there were other factors at play.    I would never generally be willing to pay enough for something I don’t like to end up with it these days

4 hours ago, lobrac said:

So I take it you won’t be changing your username on here to “TalaocMan” anytime soon?

Heh, I might, I just bought a complete issue of his work, but not Phantom Stranger.

Malvin

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

In fairness, art is a matter of taste, and even the best artists have bad days. So I don’t want to sound completely negative. But no, this run is not what I like (and I can be picky).

By way of counter-example, I generally like John Byrne’s work, but not on Wonder Woman.

Well then, maybe register this domain name:  I-generally-like-John-Byrne’s-work-but-not-on-Wonder-Woman.com

On 6/17/2020 at 3:01 PM, Jeffro. said:

Buying something I don't like could prevent me from buying something I do like so no way in hell I would buy something I don't like. 

It’s a risk, but sometimes, you get something out of it which is better than art you like.

3 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Not sure it is directly related to this thread, still interesting (and haunting) read...

Yeah, it is somewhat tangential but the point about buying things you don't really want or like (to varying degrees) is spot on. Most people who have the collecting gene (I do) experience the "completest drive" at some point and end up buying for the wrong reasons. Luckily I learned this and self-corrected well before I discovered art. 

6 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Yeah, it is somewhat tangential but the point about buying things you don't really want or like (to varying degrees) is spot on. Most people who have the collecting gene (I do) experience the "completest drive" at some point and end up buying for the wrong reasons. Luckily I learned this and self-corrected well before I discovered art. 

When I was around 6 years old, I went to summer day camp where I actually collected sticks of various sizes and shapes because I thought they were interesting. What still gets to me, however, is the kid down the block actually stole some of them rather than find his own. 

I bought a piece that has admittedly terrible art that I don't like. But, the page itself has one of my favorite superhero teams on it, and there are some cool historical (character-wise) anecdotes to it that just made me want to own it. And despite the ugly art, looking at it in person still makes me appreciate the work behind it. I just like looking at the little details in all of my OA. Here's a link to it in my CAF gallery: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1657108

5 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I bought a piece that has admittedly terrible art that I don't like. But, the page itself has one of my favorite superhero teams on it, and there are some cool historical (character-wise) anecdotes to it that just made me want to own it. And despite the ugly art, looking at it in person still makes me appreciate the work behind it. I just like looking at the little details in all of my OA. Here's a link to it in my CAF gallery: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1657108

I definitely get that. I have a page from Adventures Into the Unknown with Nemesis on it by Chic Stone (supposedly, but it looks suspiciously like Kurt Schaffenburger). I don’t care for that style much, but as a child, I loved the hero. If you are not familiar with him, try and visualize a cross between a low powered Spectre and a 1960’s era sitcom, with a dash of the 1930’s movie “ Here Comes Mr. Jordan” (Mr. Keeper and the view of Heaven). It was actually charming. Naturally, when a page came up for sale, I grabbed it. I don’t dislike it, but if not for that connection, I never would have bought it. Maybe I’ll post it later.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I definitely get that. I have a page from Adventures Into the Unknown with Nemesis on it by Chic Stone (supposedly, but it looks suspiciously like Kurt Schaffenburger). I don’t care for that style much, but as a child, I loved the hero. If you are not familiar with him, try and visualize a cross between a low powered Spectre and a 1960’s era sitcom, with a dash of the 1930’s movie “ Here Comes Mr. Jordan” (Mr. Keeper and the view of Heaven). It was actually charming. Naturally, when a page came up for sale, I grabbed it. I don’t dislike it, but if not for that connection, I never would have bought it. Maybe I’ll post it later.

Here's the Nemesis page I bought. The art: feh. But the dialog and thinking from the 1960's in the bottom two panels is priceless. Women are nothing more than man-traps who want to get married; marrying a dead guy (Nemesis) makes perfect sense to a woman who wants to have children and start a family (as seen in other stories), and in panel 1, we have our hero flying into a 1960's style TV western. Interesting costume choice, too. Long sleeve shirt with a hoodie, and striped shorts

Nemesis.thumb.jpg.a113fb8718751384bea180e80ff069ad.jpg

8 hours ago, Will_K said:

I don't see any Schaffenberger.

I have read that Schaffenberger was moonlighting at the time from his job at DC, and he did so under Stone’s name. You could be right; I may be seeing something that isn’t there.