• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POSTING ONCE AGAIN, STILL NEED HELP....

34 posts in this topic

Got this one a while ago and haven't been able to find where it has been published. Maybe it is unpublished? Hoping someone out there has any idea. I did notice that it might be from Wizard magazine but I have no back issues from 1994 (dated by Ron Lim and Tom Palmer?) Thanks for your feedback.

Beast.JPG

14 hours ago, INKREDIBLE BULK said:

Got this one a while ago and haven't been able to find where it has been published. Maybe it is unpublished? Hoping someone out there has any idea. I did notice that it might be from Wizard magazine but I have no back issues from 1994 (dated by Ron Lim and Tom Palmer?) Thanks for your feedback.

Beast.JPG

I went through ten issues from 1994 but could not locate this image. I know how frustrating that can be. Maybe Ron Lim remembers?

Edited by grapeape

34 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I went through ten issues from 1994 but could not locate this image. I know how frustrating that can be. Maybe Ron Lin remembers?

Thank you so much for looking. I really appreciate you doing that for me. I tried to message him through facebook but got no response. It just looks too polished to be unpublished. The quest continues..

16 hours ago, INKREDIBLE BULK said:

Beast.JPG

Wow, that's Tom Palmer? I'm guessing Marvel editorial dictated he ink like the "hot" style of the day. :facepalm:  Can't believe that's the same guy who inked those classic Neal Adams, John Buscema and Gene Colon books.  I will have a lot to answer to when I meet my maker. :angel:

7 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Wow, that's Tom Palmer? I'm guessing Marvel editorial dictated he ink like the "hot" style of the day. :facepalm:  Can't believe that's the same guy who inked those classic Neal Adams, John Buscema and Gene Colon books.  I will have a lot to answer to when I meet my maker. :angel:

There is a '94 beside Lim name
You and Lee were the "hot" style of the day.

I guess editors and artist had to follow the leaders...

:foryou:

22 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

There is a '94 beside Lim name
You and Lee were the "hot" style of the day.

I guess editors and artist had to follow the leaders...

:foryou:

Right, I knew it was an early 90's piece and I know that look is no longer the style du jour (I don't even ink like that anymore). It's just weird to see artists who already had established a great original style being "encouraged" to adopt an approach so different from what made them great to begin with, all in the name of commerce. But comics is a business, so I get it. 

25 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Right, I knew it was an early 90's piece and I know that look is no longer the style du jour (I don't even ink like that anymore). It's just weird to see artists who already had established a great original style being "encouraged" to adopt an approach so different from what made them great to begin with, all in the name of commerce. But comics is a business, so I get it. 

The Herb Trimpe stuff from the 90s hurts my head every time I see it...

4 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Yeah, I was going to say that didn’t look anything at all like Palmer. I have a couple of Palmer inked pages. One from the70’s and one from 1990. They look Nothing like that. And, of course, there’s all the Classic king he did on Adams, Gene Colan, Buscema, etc. 

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Sal Buscema started drawing in that 90’s style. And he actually kind of pulled it off. But his classic style was way better, IMHO. 

I thought this might have been part of a card group shot, or the back of a card image as part of the character bio. I know I've seen this before, but I also know I've seen this question about where this specific piece was used before in the last 10 years. Maybe even here on CGC.  Were there any Marvel Handbooks from this era? This really screams card art to me though, Lim did a lot of it. 

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

I would agree, that it was more than likely published. This was done in the high time of the X-men. There were novels, kids books, promo magazines, activity books, toy packages, watch packaging, board games, cards, shirts, you name it. I hope you can find it, but it may be a long search because most of those items are not scanned into the internet or at least not in a way that they can be easily found. You may have to find someone with a massive X-men ephemera collection and ask them to do a search. 

I did my own research on this the first time around and came up empty handed. 

I spoke to Bob Budiansky about it who was in charge of special projects at the time and he doesn’t recognize the piece. That can say a lot about the published status of the piece or his memory. (Or it could have fallen under a different editor.)

My money is on X-Men ephemera like Drewsky says. If so, that’s going to take a lot of patience and detective work. 

I’m also hoping Ron Lim or Tom Palmer could answer. 

There’s also the possibility that this is a rejected something or a really nice commission.