• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POSTING ONCE AGAIN, STILL NEED HELP....

34 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I thought this might have been part of a card group shot, or the back of a card image as part of the character bio. I know I've seen this before, but I also know I've seen this question about where this specific piece was used before in the last 10 years. Maybe even here on CGC.  Were there any Marvel Handbooks from this era? This really screams card art to me though, Lim did a lot of it. 

I did some research on 1994 X-Men work.. I nearly had a heart attack, with all the puzzle, coloring, activity, trading cards, etc., the list is never ending. I also think it was a big year for the animated series as I found a panini sticker album.

There was also some Marvel magazines at that time, like Spider-Man The Magazine For Kids that had spot illustrations in them, though most - but not all - were drawn by Wayne Murray.

The image looks too simplistic to be a comic pinup and has more of a spot illustration look, in my opinion. I don’t recall Lim ever drawing an X-Men book with the Beast in it, so I’m leaning more toward it being drawn for a magazine article.

There also was those Marvel annual stock reports and the books they put out previewing what was coming the next year (again, for stockholders).

I, too, saw this when it was first posted on here and have looked far and wide to try to help, but I haven’t been able to come up with anything.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:58 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Based on the simplistic style, the repeated Xs, the sans serif font and the exclamation point, I would say this was from a children's book -- one for 6-10 year olds and meant as an intro to the X-Men. Marvel put out a ton of X related non-comics material for kids in the mid 90s (to include a book with an attached cassette tape!). I'd search for 1995 and above materials... art/content is usually done at least a year prior to the publishing date in the book world.

EDIT: FOUND IT! It is from the Feb 1995 issue of Disney Adventures magazine, Vol 5 #4. BTW I don't own this... am just darn good at research :)image.png.ddea5405aa8d4eeb37fd665e63c84fe6.png

Someone needs to get PayPal'd enough to cover a Fresca, at least. 

On 2/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, comix4fun said:

Someone needs to get PayPal'd enough to cover a Fresca, at least. 

LOL it was fun... took me about 20 minutes.... once I worked thru Ebay searches of "X-Men childrens book," "X-Men coloring book" and "X-Men animated series book" from 1995-1997, I ran a search on "X-Men childrens magazine" starting with 1995. I'm just lucky that one seller (my FOUND IT is hyperlinked to the auction) decided to flip the book and post the Beast page... it was all luck at the end!

On 2/27/2023 at 11:21 AM, KirbyCollector said:

LOL it was fun... took me about 20 minutes.... once I worked thru Ebay searches of "X-Men childrens book," "X-Men coloring book" and "X-Men animated series book" from 1995-1997, I ran a search on "X-Men childrens magazine" starting with 1995. I'm just lucky that one seller (my FOUND IT is hyperlinked to the auction) decided to flip the book and post the Beast page... it was all luck at the end!

I knew it had to be a children’s magazine because of the simplistic style and the copy that seemed geared toward a young child. Fantastic!

On 2/27/2023 at 8:58 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Based on the simplistic style, the repeated Xs, the sans serif font and the exclamation point, I would say this was from a children's book -- one for 6-10 year olds and meant as an intro to the X-Men. Marvel put out a ton of X related non-comics material for kids in the mid 90s (to include a book with an attached cassette tape!). I'd search for 1995 and above materials... art/content is usually done at least a year prior to the publishing date in the book world.

EDIT: FOUND IT! It is from the Feb 1995 issue of Disney Adventures magazine, Vol 5 #4. BTW I don't own this... am just darn good at research :)

image.png.ddea5405aa8d4eeb37fd665e63c84fe6.png

YOU ARE THE MAN!! Been looking for years!! Thanks a bunch!!

On 2/27/2023 at 2:33 PM, Michael Browning said:

I knew it had to be a children’s magazine because of the simplistic style and the copy that seemed geared toward a young child. Fantastic!

I wouldn't call it simplistic. Although a bit too muscular. Looks somewhat like Liefeld. Still hard to believe that Ron Lim and Tom Palmer worked on these. I found the rest and post them.

Edited by INKREDIBLE BULK
error

On 2/28/2023 at 12:41 AM, INKREDIBLE BULK said:

I wouldn't call it simplistic. Although a bit too muscular. Looks somewhat like Liefeld. Still hard to believe that Ron Lim and Tom Palmer worked on these. I found the rest and post them.

No offense meant, but, for that time period, the drawing looks very light and simple like the kids magazine drawings, is all I was saying.

it’s not an action-packed pinup or splash and the subject matter is very self-explanatory - so much so that a kid could understand it - and, as it turns out, that’s exactly what it is.