• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2020 at 9:36 PM, valiantman said:

CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300 Newsstand (UPC barcode)  = SOLD for $4,500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-300-NEWSTAND-CGC-9-8-ORIGIN-1ST-APP-VENOM-BLACK-COSTUME/114277925881

I remember considering selling my 9.8 double cover UPC for $2500....glad I didn't. That's an unreal price. 

7 minutes ago, october said:

I remember considering selling my 9.8 double cover UPC for $2500....glad I didn't. That's an unreal price. 

I don't think anyone had determined that CGC 9.8 is something like 38-to-1 for direct-to-newsstand when you were thinking about that sale.

asm300analysis_slabdata.png

Paying two or three times the direct edition price (whatever the $4,500 sale represents) may end up looking like a bargain.

24 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

How about this sale on HA today?:whatthe:

B5948CF9-E8D6-48CB-A689-77C037A38D7E.png

I guess a newsstand would have been $20K. lol

But seriously, it's likely that someone recognized CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300 is a $2K book, and we know few CGC 9.8s are signed by both Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane, and no more can be signed by both, so if you have the money, paying almost 4 times the "normal rate" for a CGC 9.8 for a book that is more than 4 times harder to get is not as crazy as the price looks without doing the math. :foryou:

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

no more can be signed by both

That's (probably) not strictly true, though I have no idea how many have been signed by Stan but not Todd.

Good point!  The number of CGC 9.8 ASM #300s signed by Stan can't increase, so whatever the number is... the relative scarcity vs. unsigned CGC 9.8 ASM #300 will only increase in the coming decades.

I guess when you see a book like Ultimate Fallout 4 realizing the prices that it is, it makes sense that ASM 300 should go up also. It looks like a pretty good deal compared to UF4 to me. Different books, different era, different print run, I know, but a rising tide like that has to raise some other boats.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 11:25 AM, Poekaymon said:

That UPC was up for like 30 minutes.  I put an offer in on it, and then someone bought it at full price.  Feels bad.

Don't feel bad, it was a weak 9.8 with soft corners in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

This right here is why I can’t bring myself to buy an ASM300 9.8 online. I bought a 9.6 for $630 and called it good.

I agree. Some books I need to have in hand to see it to buy it.

This book is definitely moving up, even in 9.4 (now a $550 book) and lower grades.

Some recent sales on ebay:

-Jul 19 stan lee sig series = $3,250.  This would appear to be a pretty good deal given to recent run-up on this book

-Jul 17 = $2,900.  best offer accepted

-Jul 15 McFarlane sig series = $3,999.99.   best offer accepted

-Jul 12 = $2,750

-Jul 18 = $790

-Jul 18 McFarlane sig series = $1,190

-Jul 15 = $735

-Jul 6 = $800

-Jul 4 = $950 (newsstand)

On 7/20/2020 at 8:36 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

This book is definitely moving up, even in 9.4 (now a $550 book) and lower grades.

Some recent sales on ebay:

-Jul 19 stan lee sig series = $3,250.  This would appear to be a pretty good deal given to recent run-up on this book

-Jul 17 = $2,900.  best offer accepted

-Jul 15 McFarlane sig series = $3,999.99.   best offer accepted

-Jul 12 = $2,750

-Jul 18 = $790

-Jul 18 McFarlane sig series = $1,190

-Jul 15 = $735

-Jul 6 = $800

-Jul 4 = $950 (newsstand)

I really have the urge to seek out a newstand just so it can become coupled with my direct...but Valiantman is unto something if the ratio is 38:1 with that logic it should be 38× the value of a direct, and the logic makes sense to me...I see that gocollect.com prices on FMV have settled, but it is still an amazing book

56 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I really have the urge to seek out a newstand just so it can become coupled with my direct...but Valiantman is unto something if the ratio is 38:1 with that logic it should be 38× the value of a direct, and the logic makes sense to me...I see that gocollect.com prices on FMV have settled, but it is still an amazing book

um no.  you are making a lot of illogical assumptions here, including one whereby folks are willing to pay more for a newsstand vs direct copy.  I think the minority of ASM 300 collectors are willing to pay a premium, but perhaps 2x or 3x the direct copy value, but that's all.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

um no.  you are making a lot of illogical assumptions here, including one whereby folks are willing to pay more for a newsstand vs direct copy.  I think the minority of ASM 300 collectors are willing to pay a premium, but perhaps 2x or 3x the direct copy value, but that's all.

Well it did sell for under 2× 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:08 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 7/25/2020 at 7:08 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

It wasn't that long ago that people on this messageboard were scoffing at the idea that newsstand would be even a 25% premium.  People who scoff at things are dumb.

I scoff at dumb people. 

(:

53 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It wasn't that long ago that people on this messageboard were scoffing at the idea that newsstand would be even a 25% premium.  People who scoff at things are dumb.

I scoff at dumb people. 

(:

I personally wouldn't pay a penny more for a newsstand ASM 300, but I'm a realist and won't dispute the fact that some folks are willing to do so.