• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

It's been a while since we chatted about updated numbers on blue (universal) direct 9.4's so I thought I'd check back on GPA and see what's going on, or should I say, up?

It should come as no surprise that sales on 9.4's continue to benefit from the recent escalations on 9.6's and 9.8's, and they are becoming a bit  pricey for the average collector, hence more collectors are flocking to the next highest grade they can afford, which is a 9.4.

In March, a 9.4 with white pages would have set you back approximately $425, +/- $10.

The past five sales are as follows:

Sep 21 = 749

Sep 21 = 643

Sep 15 = 800

Sep 15 = 683 (newsstand)

Sep 15 = 675

Sep 13 = 675

Sep 13 = 725

Sep 11 = 700

Sep 8 = 795

7 hours ago, thedude said:

Those are great, if they were newstand versions, they would go for a premium, with 80s common keys, collectors are looking to differentiate with more rare versions.

I prefer finding a 9.8 ASM 300 that's perfectly centered, no production defect (jagged edges), and with a deep red color (instead of the orange). Personally, I stay away from copies with jagged edges. 

I have noticed this as well. I lost my Amazing Spider-man collection last year including the entire McFarlane run. I managed to recoup my #300 on eBay this past Spring. I paid $1,575 for a 9.8 Green Label(I don't care about that). At the time other #300 9.8 Blue labels were going for $1,700 to $2,000. Today (09/22/2020) there is a #300 9.8 Blue Labels listed for $4,500. (listed, not sold). At the same time I recouped ASM  #361(first Carnage) 9.8 Blue Label which I paid $360 for. There are two listed on eBay today which have bids approaching $600. Why the huge spike in just a few months? I think it is because of the success of the movie and the anticipation of Venom 2 with Carnage coming out soon. 

Edited by Greatwhite
Error in facts

23 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

Today (09/22/2020) there are several #300 9.8 Blue Labels listed between $3,500 to $4,500. (listed, not sold). 

Where did you look?  There are no blue label asm 300’s in 9.8 available on eBay today... none!  There used to be sooooo many copies available daily, but today, there’s only 2 or 3 yellow label 9.8’s, with the cheapest being $5,880.

41 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Where did you look?  There are no blue label asm 300’s in 9.8 available on eBay today... none!  There used to be sooooo many copies available daily, but today, there’s only 2 or 3 yellow label 9.8’s, with the cheapest being $5,880.

But  you are correct. I had to bid on and lose a half a dozen auctions before I got my 300 9.8 Green Label. There were a lot of 9.8 Blue Labels in the Spring. Very few now. And the prices are out of my reach.

21 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

But  you are correct. I had to bid on and lose a half a dozen auctions before I got my 300 9.8 Green Label. There were a lot of 9.8 Blue Labels in the Spring. Very few now. And the prices are out of my reach.

Why don't you care about green label? What was the qualifying issue?

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

Why don't you care about green label? What was the qualifying issue?

It has an unverified McFarlane signature. i just wanted a good copy of the book. i bought it without knowing anything about the green blue label thingy...i wondered why there were fewer bids on it than other books that were selling at the time but didn't learn until i had it in hand. didn't even notice the difference when i was bidding. But i am just happy to have a nice copy as i cannot afford one now. I have no plans to sell it. it will be going to a lady friend's little boy who loves Venom. so because i will not sell it, who cares what color the label is. i did get ASM 361, 362, and 363 9.8 Blue labels which have nearly doubled in price on eBay since the Spring. Wanted to get them before Carnage makes his appearance in the second Venom movie. But those will go to the little boy as well as he loves, loves "Red Venom". I think comics are skyrocketing right now because of the popularity of the MCU.  But it is a bubble and when the movie craze dies down there will be a correction downward in the prices.

Edited by Greatwhite
additional information

28 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

It has an unverified McFarlane signature. i just wanted a good copy of the book. i bought it without knowing anything about the green blue label thingy...i wondered why there were fewer bids on it than other books that were selling at the time but didn't learn until i had it in hand. didn't even notice the difference when i was bidding. But i am just happy to have a nice copy as i cannot afford one now. I have no plans to sell it. it will be going to a lady friend's little boy who loves Venom. so because i will not sell it, who cares what color the label is.

That’s really the best cause for a green label.  Usually it is something that is a dealbreaker for me, like a missing page.

5 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

It has an unverified McFarlane signature. i just wanted a good copy of the book. i bought it without knowing anything about the green blue label thingy...i wondered why there were fewer bids on it than other books that were selling at the time but didn't learn until i had it in hand. didn't even notice the difference when i was bidding. But i am just happy to have a nice copy as i cannot afford one now. I have no plans to sell it. it will be going to a lady friend's little boy who loves Venom. so because i will not sell it, who cares what color the label is. i did get ASM 361, 362, and 363 9.8 Blue labels which have nearly doubled in price on eBay since the Spring. Wanted to get them before Carnage makes his appearance in the second Venom movie. But those will go to the little boy as well as he loves, loves "Red Venom". I think comics are skyrocketing right now because of the popularity of the MCU.  But it is a bubble and when the movie craze dies down there will be a correction downward in the prices.

I guess I would agree, if ya gotta go green label, that is probably the best way to do it. I get the SS series and all that, but sometimes, it's tough that CGC will not recognize any signature other than those they've witnessed as anything but a defect. 

A local guy here in town has one for sale and would sell it to me for $1000 even. 

I just started collecting and that would by far be my centerpiece. I’ve compared to eBay prices and based on the last several sales (1200 range) I’d say it would be dumb not to grab it. He wants $1000 cash or $1100 if using a debit/credit  card. It’s gonna set me back a tiny bit, but I feel it’s worth it at the end of the day. 

4 hours ago, Crushingame said:

A local guy here in town has one for sale and would sell it to me for $1000 even. 

I just started collecting and that would by far be my centerpiece. I’ve compared to eBay prices and based on the last several sales (1200 range) I’d say it would be dumb not to grab it. He wants $1000 cash or $1100 if using a debit/credit  card. It’s gonna set me back a tiny bit, but I feel it’s worth it at the end of the day. 

Is it graded? If so, what's the grade?

38 minutes ago, thedude said:

Is it graded? If so, what's the grade?

you have to be really careful with that. you may be paying 3 to 4 times what it is worth if it is ungraded. if you want it as an investment that is something to consider. but if you just want to own it and enjoy it then it's value is what it means to you. 

9 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I guess I would agree, if ya gotta go green label, that is probably the best way to do it. I get the SS series and all that, but sometimes, it's tough that CGC will not recognize any signature other than those they've witnessed as anything but a defect. 

I am new to CGC. I have collected comics seriously twice in my life but stopped about 20 years ago., Last year I had six long boxes of books stolen including all of my Amazing Spiderman with some expensive key issues. That is why I am trying to get a few back. I want to leave the special ones to the little boy. What he does with them will be up to him. 
But I really do not understand this "verified signature" nonsense to much. And I definitely do not get why CGC is so militant about it. If I had a Spiderman book signed by Stan Lee and I took it to a convention and had McFarlane sign it in front of a CGC rep I understand why they would verify the McFarlane signature but not the Stan Lee signature. That is one scenario. But If I took this Green Label book signed by McFarlane to a convention and he was sitting right next to a CGC rep and he stated, "Absolutely. That is 100% my signature. I signed that.", and they still would not verify it based on his statement then, to me, that is just stupid. But, as I stated above the value to me is not in what CGC has to say about them. It is what they mean to me and, hopefully, to the little boy who will get them...

7 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

you have to be really careful with that. you may be paying 3 to 4 times what it is worth if it is ungraded. if you want it as an investment that is something to consider. but if you just want to own it and enjoy it then it's value is what it means to you. 

It is a CGC 9.6 Copy.

sorry I forgot to mention that.