• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

This book is crazy. An 8.0 Newsstand auction just finished at $530. I paid $380 for my 8.5 just three weeks ago.

That’s about a 40% increase. Insane.

i was looking at completed CBCS prices out of curiosity and was surprised to see them doing pretty well also.

a 9.4 CBCS just sold for $900

an 8.5 CBCS sold at $500

Edited by Crushingame

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would assume equivalent graded Newsstand copies should be going for signifcantly more money as compared to the Direct copies from the LCS's.  hm

yes one would think so. 

Blue Labeled 9.4 Newsstands 

most recent sales:

25 Sept: Blue Label  CGC 9.4 WP Newsstand sold at $920

10 Oct: Blue Label CGC 9.4 WP Newsstand sold at $1345

Direct copies seem to be in the $800-$850 range.

9.6 Copies:

The Avg price for the last three sales for Blue Labeled 9.6 WP Newstand copies is $1575

The Avg price for the last three sales for the Direct Copies are at $1883. Of course that includes the most recent sale which was an astounding $2550 old 9.6 Blue label. Without that one included the avg price is at at $1533. So pretty similar.  $1575 compared to $1533

so it seems like the Newsstand in 9.4 does better than the direct copies and opposite with the 9.6 

On 10/1/2020 at 11:03 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 10/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I would do what I did this and check the CGC census to find out that there is already well over 1,300 copies of this book in CGC 9.8 graded condition along with another 10 copies in CGC 9.9 graded condition and you are certainly correct, something is most definitely weird here.  lol

And I would say to that: where are they?  Haven't seen a 9.9 in a loooong time.  and by the way, why are there so few 9.9's of this book, given the number of submissions? (shrug)

Well, since you put it that way, I guess I would have to say it's most likely because I haven't gotten around to sending any of my copies in for grading to this point in time yet.  lol

Seriously though, it's all good as long as I can recoup the money that I paid for them when I cherry picked a few copies off the shelves of the LCS's when the book first came out.  Definitely not something that I would normally do, but this was an anniversary issue and I was also planning to have them signed by the hot local comic book artist at the time at one of the local comic cons that he usually attended back then.  Ended up not being able to find them when the con finally came around and had to fork over another $2.50 at the time to pick up a back issue copy at the con.  :censored:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

Can any experienced speculator help me? In February of this year, I bought an ASM 300 9.0 with MacFarlane signature for $ 430. Now I plan to resell it for $ 700 (you need to understand that in Russia, when ordering from America, we pay 15% duty and this is taken into account when reselling). I really love my copy of the ASM 300, but it seems to me that this increase in prices is temporary and after the release of the film, prices will fall again. Am I right? If not, then I will not resell my copy

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since you put it that way, I guess I would have to say it's most likely because I haven't gotten around to sending any of my copies in for grading to this point in time yet.  lol

Seriously though, it's all good as long as I can recoup the money that I paid for them when I cherry picked a few copies off the shelves of the LCS's when the book first came out.  Definitely not something that I would normally do, but this was an anniversary issue and I was also planning to have them signed by the hot local comic book artist at the time at one of the local comic cons that he usually attended back then.  Ended up not being able to find them when the con finally came around and had to fork over another $2.50 at the time to pick up a back issue copy at the con.  :censored:  :whee:

Cherry picked...9.2s?

1 hour ago, rfhbv100 said:

Can any experienced speculator help me? In February of this year, I bought an ASM 300 9.0 with MacFarlane signature for $ 430. Now I plan to resell it for $ 700 (you need to understand that in Russia, when ordering from America, we pay 15% duty and this is taken into account when reselling). I really love my copy of the ASM 300, but it seems to me that this increase in prices is temporary and after the release of the film, prices will fall again. Am I right? If not, then I will not resell my copy

I'll give it a shot.

firstly, I'd like to address the 15% duty that you pay for importing books into the country by stating that you're not alone.  In fact, far from it as most countries require full declaration of imported items for duty.  15% may seem steep, but its not the highest duty amount placed on imported goods, especially in comparison to some European countries.

Secondly, ASM 300 has seen a sharp increase in value recently for several reasons: Venom movie, covid stimulus funds, market catch up (it plateaued for quite a while previous to this run up), and just a general collective awakening of the importance of this book.  As prices continue to rise (you will see more strong results this week), more copies will become available.  We've actually started seeing this on ebay and elsewhere.  For example, look at how many copies are available currently vs two weeks ago and you'll see the difference in availability for yourself.

Eventually, and I'm not sure when, the book will plateau for a while, and once people realize/are aware and comfortable with the new pricing 'norm', the book will rise again.  Rinse, and repeat.  We've already seen evidence of this on Hulk 181, which continues to reach new highs vs ASM 129 which is currently experiencing a plateau in its highest grades.  Other factors may also come into play regarding demand for the book, such as what are Disney's plans for the character?  I imagine demand would spike further once they make a TV/Streaming/Movie announcement?

Ultimately, the decision comes down to your current financial decision...do you need the money now or can you ride this current upwards trend until it plateaus?

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I'll give it a shot.

firstly, I'd like to address the 15% duty that you pay for importing books into the country by stating that you're not alone.  In fact, far from it as most countries require full declaration of imported items for duty.  15% may seem steep, but its not the highest duty amount placed on imported goods, especially in comparison to some European countries.

Secondly, ASM 300 has seen a sharp increase in value recently for several reasons: Venom movie, covid stimulus funds, market catch up (it plateaued for quite a while previous to this run up), and just a general collective awakening of the importance of this book.  As prices continue to rise (you will see more strong results this week), more copies will become available.  We've actually started seeing this on ebay and elsewhere.  For example, look at how many copies are available currently vs two weeks ago and you'll see the difference in availability for yourself.

Eventually, and I'm not sure when, the book will plateau for a while, and once people realize/are aware and comfortable with the new pricing 'norm', the book will rise again.  Rinse, and repeat.  We've already seen evidence of this on Hulk 181, which continues to reach new highs vs ASM 129 which is currently experiencing a plateau in its highest grades.  Other factors may also come into play regarding demand for the book, such as what are Disney's plans for the character?  I imagine demand would spike further once they make a TV/Streaming/Movie announcement?

Ultimately, the decision comes down to your current financial decision...do you need the money now or can you ride this current upwards trend until it plateaus?

Not to mention the spike on prices with the Newsstand copies as more and more collectors are finally starting to realize the difference in high-grade rarity between the two.

2 hours ago, rfhbv100 said:

I am far from an expert, but I will mention this. Last 9.0 McFarlane sold Aug 26th. That was a Newsstand as well and went for $550

A 9.0 McFarlane Direct copy sold Aug 9th at $599

So fast forward to now. We’ve seen some pretty big jumps in prices within the past few weeks or so. $700 for yours seems well within reason and could possibly sell for more who knows.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

17 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

Я далеко не специалист, но отмечу это. Последние 9.0 McFarlane проданы 26 августа. Это тоже был газетный киоск, который стоил 550 долларов.

Копия McFarlane Direct версии 9.0 была продана 9 августа по цене 599 долларов.

Так что перенесемся в настоящее время. Мы видели довольно большие скачки цен в течение последних нескольких недель или около того. 700 долларов за ваш кажется вполне разумным и, возможно, можно продать дороже, кто знает.

Удачи в том, что вы решили делать.

Thanks. $ 700 is the maximum I can get for my copy of a newsstand. Since in Russia, few people are ready to spend more than $ 10 for one comic. And a maximum of two people in the country are ready to give $ 700, and I am not exaggerating.

Edited by rfhbv100

30 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

Not to mention the spike on prices with the Newsstand copies as more and more collectors are finally starting to realize the difference in high-grade rarity between the two.

Meh.  The direct vs Newsstand prices is a mixed bag, based on recent sales by grade

18 minutes ago, rfhbv100 said:

Thanks. $ 700 is the maximum I can get for my copy of a newsstand. Since in Russia, few people are ready to spend more than $ 10 for one single. And a maximum of two people in the country are ready to give $ 700, and I am not exaggerating.

Why are you sellling only to Russia?

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Почему вы продаете только в Россию?

I buy comics for the collection and therefore deliver them to myself through the warehouse immediately. To sell in America, you need to either leave comics in a warehouse or send them to the same warehouse from Russia. And I am afraid that the comics will get lost on the road or I will indicate something incorrectly and they will go to a different address and get lost. Although ... I can try to sell them in europe, where there are a lot of comic book collectors

I have a question. Someone who’s been following this book📙 for awhile:

Has there been an increase ⬆️in the amount of Newsstand copies showing up freebay recently compared to before?

i thought I read something like that somewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Crushingame said:

Are you trying to imply that comic book speculators are rather dense and don't have much commoin sense?  :devil:

I believe most collectors would know that Newsstand copies are far tougher to find in grade as they are generally just shoved haphazardly onto those 2-sizes too small comic book racks for younger purchasers to read and enjoy.  The Direct copies, on the other hand, are placed neatly onto the shelves of the LCS's to be carefully cherry picked by the OCD collectors who places them right into a mylar bag with backing board without even daring to open up the comic book to read.  hm

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Are you trying to imply that comic book speculators are rather dense and don't have much commoin sense?  :devil:

I believe most collectors would know that Newsstand copies are far tougher to find in grade as they are generally just shoved haphazardly onto those 2-sizes too small comic book racks for younger purchasers to read and enjoy.  The Direct copies, on the other hand, are placed neatly onto the shelves of the LCS's to be carefully cherry picked by the OCD collectors who places them right into a mylar bag with backing board without even daring to open up the comic book to read.  hm

I am indeed, to include myself.  🤪

quoted by @valiantman

”The direction of the information on ASM #300 is clear.  If you prefer direct edition, you might want to buy newsstand now... then trade for direct editions later.  You could probably get 2 or 3 for the price of 1 later, since it's literally 38-to-1 in the slabs now.”

I somewhat think this will be the new direction to gon with. Just not now, because there aren’t enough Newsstand copies to do so...especially i high grade.

Are SS Slabs included when the numbers are discussed? Or are they considered to be in a different category?

example: There aren’t 6 copies? 

There are only 4 SS McFarlane newsstand copies compared to 2 Blue Label Newsstand copies.

is that how we would count the totals or what? 

Edited by Crushingame

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-300-Vol-1-Near-Perfect-High-Grade-1st-Appearance-of-Venom/402380545232

Any opinions. Of all the non graded copies on eBay right now this appears to me to be the nicest with the fewest imperfections based on the photos provided. However it does have an unverified Marfarlane signature on the first inside page so I assume this will be a Green Label or will it be a Blue label graded down? Anyone think it is worth acquiring?