• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

It just boggles my mind that there are over 23,000 slabs! There are probably just as many raws if not more....

Hearing those numbers makes me more of a bear on this specific comic.

Please check your PM's lol

I really don't get al the venom ASM 300 hype, there are a zillion of these out there, It has to level off at some point. I've a 3 9.8's about a half dozen 9.6s and 9.4s, sold them all off around the Venom movie hype. Now they all have doubled in price. For what reason?  Donny Cates?  

26 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

So you don’t think there are more than 23,000 people who want this book in CGC?

compared to how many people there are in the world, 23,000 people isn’t a lot. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Wait, 7 billion people want an ASM 300?  I hate to imagine, based on this theory, how much my dog is worth.  There's only 1 of him D:

5 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

And the point also, it will never be "rare", as a listing is always on eBay. It's a matter of, do I want this in my collection?

I can live without a high grade copy.

No you can't!

The train has left the station.

It can only go up. :wishluck:

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

50 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

They may want it but will they be willing to pay the premium?

I think this may go up temporarily but a lot of people will probably sell once they see these prices. That will flood the market because there is A LOT...

I think some people will be caught bag holding these

This isn't tmnt 1 first print with 3000 copies... slabbed and raw together....

Edited by Wolverinex

49 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

And this doesn’t even account for the rabid fanatics who want more than one copy for their collection!

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

And this doesn’t even account for the rabid fanatics who want more than one copy for their collection!

Well you own 80 copies or want to own that many. So your feelings toward this is different than mine. I just own one Newsstand.

I think it's feeling like a bubble to me. ... instead of paying 5K for near-mint ASM 300 I'll probably look towards a low-grade X-Men 1 for that amount of money.

But then again take my thoughts with a grain of salt. It's just my opinion.(shrug)

22 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

No you can't!

The train has left the station.

It can only go up. :wishluck:

I feel that way for UF 4 too, and for some reason I want one....uggh

Someone has a decent deal but I'm conflicted...he is about $200 too much

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

It just boggles my mind that there are over 23,000 slabs! There are probably just as many raws if not more....

Hearing those numbers makes me more of a bear on this specific comic.

I've never been fully on board with the comparison of overall census to value, simply because I feel like the true measure (or at least a large measure) should be current copy supply available for sale. I think if there are 23,000 in the census, but only a few hundred readily available copies at any given time, then the supply of copies vs the demand of people who want them is what will determine the market, not the total of all existing copies.

That's why I made the comment that we're starting to see increased supply on eBay and other auction/sales sites, which to me signals that the price will soon level out or potentially dip. But I still see this as a longer-term hold personally.

4 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I've never been fully on board with the comparison of overall census to value, simply because I feel like the true measure (or at least a large measure) should be current copy supply available for sale. I think if there are 23,000 in the census, but only a few hundred readily available copies at any given time, then the supply of copies vs the demand of people who want them is what will determine the market, not the total of all existing copies.

That's why I made the comment that we're starting to see increased supply on eBay and other auction/sales sites, which to me signals that the price will soon level out or potentially dip. But I still see this as a longer-term hold personally.

I agree

But this book is a paradox...it's value is not based on the amount of copies available (which I actually think all books should be) it's an iconic cover and an iconic character....but then again so is say....Deadpool 

11 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Well you own 80 copies or want to own that many. So your feelings toward this is different than mine. I just own one Newsstand.

I think it's feeling like a bubble to me. ... instead of paying 5K for near-mint ASM 300 I'll probably look towards a low-grade X-Men 1 for that amount of money.

But then again take my thoughts with a grain of salt. It's just my opinion.(shrug)

Is it a CGC9.8w?

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree

But this book is a paradox...it's value is not based on the amount of copies available (which I actually think all books should be) it's an iconic cover and an iconic character....but then again so is say....Deadpool 

Um, if that’s how you feel, then Atomic Mouse #1 should be worth much more than AF15

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Um, if that’s how you feel, then Atomic Mouse #1 should be worth much more than AF15

Atomic mouse over Spiderman? Um no

What I was saying was I think the value of a book should be based on several factors 1. Being a characters popularity and that's what you are seeing here

The value of ASM 300 is purely based on the characters popularity as well as Iconic cover and New Artist, because the book is readily available 

Edited by Hollywood1892

Reminder that this book is basically the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan of comic books.  There are more slabbed (PSA, BGS, SGC) Michael Jordan cards than ASM #300... and it is worth a LOT more than ASM #300 in all grades.

Michael Jordan is retired, while Venom is still going strong.

10 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

We have seen dozens more copies of this book available this past week than the previous several weeks.  The sales results will let us know if its time to plateau, and if so, then I think you’ll see a lot less copies available.  So perhaps prices will take a breather for a bit, but I don’t think they’ll decrease now...too much stimulus money in the economy.

just a quick look at the recent sales shows many copies have sold in the past few days.

the ones that haven’t sold are those with ridiculous BINS.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Atomic mouse over Spiderman? Um no

What I was saying was I think the value of a book should be based on several factors 1. Being a characters popularity and that's what you are seeing here

The value of ASM 300 is purely based on the characters popularity as well as Iconic cover and New Artist, because the book is readily available 

Thanks for clarifying...that’s not the way your previous  post read.

Not to keep hammering home the IH 181 comparisons, but I did find this post from 2010 (from these forums) interesting:

On 2/5/2010 at 9:36 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:
TheDanimal said:
I thin Hulk 181 is a great book to own. Maybe common but definitely not overrated! It's an important book IMO and great cover!

yep but if you buy one copy today for a thousand dollars, the odds are it will still be worth a thousand dollars 5 years from now, the profit for this book is 9.6 and up.

Same thing can be said for Giant Size X-men 1 and X-men 94, you can spend your grand on them now and only expect that same grand back after holding them for the next 5 years. They are great books but the profit has sailed on these if now bought at current market prices.

In 2010, $1,000 would have probably gotten you a VF or 8.0 copy of IH 181. FMV on that copy today - 10 years later - is more than 4x that at about $4,300. That's if you're able to get a copy at dead-on current GoCollect FMV (which, if their FMVs of ASM 300 is any indication, is spotty at best). My point is that this same argument is always made about key books like this that start to catch fire.

3 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:
TheDanimal said:
I thin Hulk 181 is a great book to own. Maybe common but definitely not overrated! It's an important book IMO and great cover!

yep but if you buy one copy today for a thousand dollars, the odds are it will still be worth a thousand dollars 5 years from now, the profit for this book is 9.6 and up.

Same thing can be said for Giant Size X-men 1 and X-men 94, you can spend your grand on them now and only expect that same grand back after holding them for the next 5 years. They are great books but the profit has sailed on these if now bought at current market prices.

In 2010, $1,000 would have probably gotten you a VF or 8.0 copy of IH 181. FMV on that copy today - 10 years later - is more than 4x that at about $4,300. That's if you're able to get a copy at dead-on current GoCollect FMV (which, if their FMVs of ASM 300 is any indication, is spotty at best). My point is that this same argument is always made about key books like this that start to catch fire.

So, never take comic investment advice from @ComicConnoisseur ... got it! lol

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:
12 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:
TheDanimal said:

So, never take comic investment advice from @ComicConnoisseur ... got it! lol

But seriously - that comment was February 2010 and a CGC 9.0 Hulk #181 sold for $1,050 in December 2009.  Current value would be $5,500.

$1,000 would have bought 3 copies of CGC 5.0 Hulk #181 in 2010.  They are currently $2,500 each... $7,500 total.

Edited by valiantman