• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

5 new sales were recorded for asm 300 cgc 9.6 blue label, white pages yesterday on GPA:

so it looks like ASM 300 continues its upwards price increase in this grade, albeit at a slower rate than the previous week, when it jumped up by $200 on average.

the 9.4’s also saw strong prices this week:

i think a few upcoming auctions will show that 9.4’s are now averaging $1K per copy.

11 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I was looking over my newsstand copy and I had a question for the ASM 300 production quality experts. The right side of the front cover has kind of a jagged cut. Is this common on this issue or totally unheard of? The rest of the issue is high grade (no spine ticks or stresses, small tear to top of spine). It is subtle, and not noticeable at a distance, but it is not as straight as the other edges. I am thinking something to do with the thickness of the book and slight overhang of the cover, but I want to make sure it is not trimmed. 

With regards to the jagged right edge, do you mean something similar to the copy pictured in the thread below?

53 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

With regards to the jagged right edge, do you mean something similar to the copy pictured in the thread below?

It's nowhere near as bad as that and it does sound like it is common after all, so I am somewhat relieved. My copy is very high grade so I think today's prices are forcing me to submit for grading. I couldn't find a 9.8 newsstand on Ebay but I'm guessing they're going for more than the current direct 9.8's are going for...

Can a copy with evident jagged right edge get 9.8?

16 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

It's nowhere near as bad as that and it does sound like it is common after all, so I am somewhat relieved. My copy is very high grade so I think today's prices are forcing me to submit for grading. I couldn't find a 9.8 newsstand on Ebay but I'm guessing they're going for more than the current direct 9.8's are going for...

I was referring to this below in the scan, very large spine stress, and one smaller one below it.

As for a jabbed corner, CGC may see it as a manufacturer print issue and over look it, but not sure?

All I know is any spine ticks that break color may not get 9.8. That is why that book is so hard to pull a 9.8 grade.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

The jagged right side of the front cover is not too common, but it is known, and cgc does not deduct for it.  In 9.6 and 9.8, I wouldn’t pay the same amount as a copy without the jagged right side.

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I was referring to this below in the scan, very large spine stress, and one smaller one below it.

As for a jabbed corner, CGC may see it as a manufacturer print issue and over look it, but not sure?

All I know is any spine ticks that break color may not get 9.8. That is why that book is so hard to pull a 9.8 grade.

s-l1600.jpg

Correct.  Based on the copies I have on hand, in order to get a cgc 9.8, there should’t Be any spine stresses that break colour.

to get a cgc 9.6, it looks as though up to two small stresses that break colour are acceptable.

again, the above is what I see based upon my personal collection on hand.

A raw ASM 300 just went for $1,625 on eBay. It looked to be a beautiful book and has the potential to grade high and I was in the running up until the last 30 minutes when the price and the risk got to high for me. If it does not grade at least a 9.6 the winner overpaid IMHO.  And, as someone has pointed out in this thread, there is now a glut of ASM 9.8 Blue and yellow labels up for sale on eBay. Either auction or BIN. 21 issues currently.

Edited by Greatwhite
additional info

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:

A raw ASM 300 just went for $1,625 on eBay. It looked to be a beautiful book and has the potential to grade high and I was in the running up until the last 30 minutes when the price and the risk got to high for me. If it does not grade at least a 9.6 the winner overpaid IMHO.  And, as someone has pointed out in this thread, there is now a glut of ASM 9.8 Blue and yellow labels up for sale on eBay. Either auction or BIN. 21 issues currently.

Agreed.  The $1,625 for the raw ‘NM+’ is a significant risk to the owner, and after taxes and slabbing fees, I’d say they’re into the book for nearly $1.8K.  Hopefully, it comes back a 9.8, otherwise, they’ve wasted their time as there’s several 9.6’s available below $1.7K on eBay.

re: the glut of 9.8’s...checking Clink, HA, CC, etc., there are very few 9.8’s available so I’d say the glut rests firmly with eBay, and the cause for that is extremely exuberant BIN pricing.  If these ‘sellers’ would lower their BINS to FMV, I’m certain we wouldn’t be seeing this many available 9.8’s

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Agreed.  The $1,625 for the raw ‘NM+’ is a significant risk to the owner, and after taxes and slabbing fees, I’d say they’re into the book for nearly $1.8K.  Hopefully, it comes back a 9.8, otherwise, they’ve wasted their time as there’s several 9.6’s available below $1.7K on eBay.

re: the glut of 9.8’s...checking Clink, HA, CC, etc., there are very few 9.8’s available so I’d say the glut rests firmly with eBay, and the cause for that is extremely exuberant BIN pricing.  If these ‘sellers’ would lower their BINS to FMV, I’m certain we wouldn’t be seeing this many available 9.8’s

It looked to be a pristine copy based on the photos provided but it is so hard to really judge. I wanted the book but I also looked at photos from the books up for auction on Comiclink and, honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the 9.8 cover and the 8.0 cover based solely on the cover photos so Once the price jumped to $1300 I bowed out.

11 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

It looked to be a pristine copy based on the photos provided but it is so hard to really judge. I wanted the book but I also looked at photos from the books up for auction on Comiclink and, honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the 9.8 cover and the 8.0 cover based solely on the cover photos so Once the price jumped to $1300 I bowed out.

Unless you can see the book in person and hold it in your hands, a 2-dimensional photo, no matter how clear, will ALWAYS hide defects.  That’s why CGC slabbed copies, while not perfect or consistent, are the best deterrent against the aforementioned risk.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Unless you can see the book in person and hold it in your hands, a 2-dimensional photo, no matter how clear, will ALWAYS hide defects.  That’s why CGC slabbed copies, while not perfect or consistent, are the best deterrent against the aforementioned risk.

Just picked up a ASM 300 9.6 cgc on ebay,it was graded in 2008. Any insight as to weather the grading critiria was less strict or more back then?

8 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

never buy raw books on feebay unless you know the dealer well.

For whatever reason, Clink results are not included in GPA, but there's been a few ASM 300 auctions that closed within the past week on Clink, to add to our collective knowledge.

All books are CGC-graded, blue label direct, with white pages unless otherwise noted.

9.8 = $4300

9.6 = $1750

9.4 = $907

9.2 = $710

9.0 = $559

8.5 = $479

8.0 = $460 (ow/w pages)

18 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

For whatever reason, Clink results are not included in GPA, but there's been a few ASM 300 auctions that closed within the past week on Clink, to add to our collective knowledge.

All books are CGC-graded, blue label direct, with white pages unless otherwise noted.

9.8 = $4300

9.6 = $1750

9.4 = $907

9.2 = $710

9.0 = $559

8.5 = $479

8.0 = $460 (ow/w pages)

Watching eBay on my end, a few BINs went for ~$5,200, watched an auction close last night at $4,200.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:54 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

For whatever reason, Clink results are not included in GPA,

I believe everybody here already knows the exact reason why.  :gossip:

CL is interested in only allowing selective auction results to be included in GPA and also the right to exclude auction results which does not "paint" the right picture.  :screwy:

As we all know, this would most definitely result in very biased and skewed information which would give users a misleading picture of what is actually happening in the marketplace. (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine