• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2020 at 10:17 AM, Frankielo said:

Just picked up a ASM 300 9.6 cgc on ebay,it was graded in 2008. Any insight as to weather the grading critiria was less strict or more back then?

Was it graded in early 2008 or late 2008?  By the end of 2008, the grading standards changed so drastically 2009 doesn't look anything like 2007.

205534813_asm300pct981.png.75d32486d5aa78e6fcc66fc2b205a666.png

Graded on 8/18/2008 I have the pics on PGM  (wrong forum I’m told) and being told it doesn’t even look like a 9.6 so seems the grading was more liberal  then. that’s why it’s tough to buy a book on eBay, can’t say there’s any wrongdoing by the seller but boy I’d like to return it. I just don’t think that’d be the right thing.I’ll just re-holder and live with it.

14 hours ago, Frankielo said:

Graded on 8/18/2008 I have the pics on PGM  (wrong forum I’m told) and being told it doesn’t even look like a 9.6 so seems the grading was more liberal  then. that’s why it’s tough to buy a book on eBay, can’t say there’s any wrongdoing by the seller but boy I’d like to return it. I just don’t think that’d be the right thing.I’ll just re-holder and live with it.

nothing wrong with a 9.6 frankie! even if it appears slightly overgraded, you will have no trouble selling it when you choose to do so. tons of buyers just buy the label, not the book. especially on feebay. 

I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread already, as I am new to it, but I have a question on the newstand editions.

I have been reading that there is a big market this year in particular for newstand editions over direct editions on Copper books. Is that across the board, or on some books in particular?

Also, anyone have the numbers on how many newstand editions exist vs. the direct ones? 

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Controversial, of course, when there is any shift in the market that doesn't benefit everyone.

Those who remember newsstand books as "those beat up copies at the grocery store (or gas station)" are the ones most likely to value high grade newsstands vs. direct editions.

Those who have 99% direct editions in their collection are the ones most likely to say "I think barcodes are ugly, so I don't like newsstands".

At the end of the day, though, we just don't have much data right now since CGC has not separated newsstands and direct editions in their grading except for cases of different cover prices or different content.

ASM #300 being the most submitted book to CGC, though, there have been opportunities to "take notes" through the years, and this is a summary of what "taking notes" has shown us:

asm300analysis_slabdata.png

http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2020/amazing-spider-man-300/

There is no "across the board" application of ratios, though - because newsstand books were often very popular (and protected very well) when the direct editions sold out immediately at comic shops. 

ASM #252 and ASM #361 are not hard to find in newsstand, even in high grade, because both books sold out quickly at most comic shops, and the newsstand books were scooped up and went to collectors far more often than other newsstand issues of the same title.

Anyone with a direct edition that says a newsstand is ugly needs to give their head a shake

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Controversial, of course, when there is any shift in the market that doesn't benefit everyone.

Those who remember newsstand books as "those beat up copies at the grocery store (or gas station)" are the ones most likely to value high grade newsstands vs. direct editions.

Those who have 99% direct editions in their collection are the ones most likely to say "I think barcodes are ugly, so I don't like newsstands".

At the end of the day, though, we just don't have much data right now since CGC has not separated newsstands and direct editions in their grading except for cases of different cover prices or different content.

ASM #300 being the most submitted book to CGC, though, there have been opportunities to "take notes" through the years, and this is a summary of what "taking notes" has shown us:

asm300analysis_slabdata.png

http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2020/amazing-spider-man-300/

There is no "across the board" application of ratios, though - because newsstand books were often very popular (and protected very well) when the direct editions sold out immediately at comic shops. 

ASM #252 and ASM #361 are not hard to find in newsstand, even in high grade, because both books sold out quickly at most comic shops, and the newsstand books were scooped up and went to collectors far more often than other newsstand issues of the same title.

Thanks for posting this V. Most enlightening👍

12 hours ago, blowout said:

Thanks for posting this V. Most enlightening👍

Given the number of raw newsstands in 9.4 or lower being offered/sold this past month, watch for significant changes in the next 6 months to the direct vs newsstand chart that Valiantman has provided.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

17 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Given the number of raw newsstands in 9.4 or lower being offered/sold this past month, watch for significant changes in the next 6 months to the direct vs newsstand chart that Valiantman has provided.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to get a snapshot of new graded books within a specified date range? Like could you see only all new graded books from Sept. 1, 2020 to date for example? I know they don't differentiate newsstands vs direct, but it'd be interesting to see the amount of new books graded in a given timeframe.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

23 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Anyone with a direct edition that says a newsstand is ugly needs to give their head a shake

:eyeroll:

Clueless people could just not post incessantly.

Incidentally, congrats on having more posts than me. :shy::whistle:

9 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to get a snapshot of new graded books within a specified date range? Like could you see only all new graded books from Sept. 1, 2020 to date for example? I know they don't differentiate newsstands vs direct, but it'd be interesting to see the amount of new books graded in a given timeframe.

Yes. Go to valiantman's site: CGCdata.com

On 10/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, valiantman said:

Controversial when the cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation more efficiently than any fountain.

Don't forget those who believe the ridiculous numbers that are invented by cheap hucksters.

Plus, I've seen plenty on Newsstands on the rack that were not beat up, as well as far too many Directs in comic shops that were beat up.

You got that backwards. And I wish the percentage (74% here, despite my preference influencing my purchases) was anywhere near that high.