• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Possibly - but it really depends on whether demand stays high.  ASM #300 spent a long time at $2K and has only spent a short time above $2K. 

There would be a big difference between temporarily peaking at $10K and becoming a "$10K book" (as the normal price).  It's been a "$2K book" for a while.

I couldn't agree more....

13 hours ago, MR SigS said:

I think they're both unattractive (shrug)

If only they could have done it this way with all DE.

Sure, but unfortunately that's not what happened and we can only pick the better of the two.

13 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This has to be the worst signature placement I've seen on a book. Why wouldn't you have people sign over the "300" pattern rather than over Spidey?

I agree, there is an ASM #238 on eBay with the same scenario. Sign in other areas besides all over the characters.

I put my question about the unexplained hike in ASM #300 prices on the Modern Age section by mistake. (ref. ASM#300 Hype)

Anyway, someone put me right and I can see there's alot of people as mystified as I am about it on the Copper Age forum.

Someone falls in love with the cover (and it is good) plus the 1st Venom angle and throws silly money at it and it suddenly trends up to a rediculous price like $3400. For a moment I thought Todd MacFarlane had died or something ??

I don't own a copy, but wouldn't bother until common sense comes back into fashion.

Can anyone claim to understand the comics market with this sort of thing going on, I wonder.

Colin

32 minutes ago, Colin Nash said:

I put my question about the unexplained hike in ASM #300 prices on the Modern Age section by mistake. (ref. ASM#300 Hype)

Anyway, someone put me right and I can see there's alot of people as mystified as I am about it on the Copper Age forum.

Someone falls in love with the cover (and it is good) plus the 1st Venom angle and throws silly money at it and it suddenly trends up to a rediculous price like $3400. For a moment I thought Todd MacFarlane had died or something ??

I don't own a copy, but wouldn't bother until common sense comes back into fashion.

Can anyone claim to understand the comics market with this sort of thing going on, I wonder.

Colin

I agree. I was on the verge of getting swept up in it as well. I was buying raw #300's on eBay hoping to score a high grade so I could send it to cgc and maybe make a profit. I bought two at around 600 to 700 dollars but they are not going to grade higher than 9.0 so I may recoup my money in a few years. I was in the running for a couple of 300's that looked beautiful from the photos but had to let some common sense creep in when they went for 1400 to 1700...to much of a risk for me.

38 minutes ago, Colin Nash said:

Colin

I've mentioned this before, but one interesting thing to note is the comparison of ASM 300 to Hulk 181, in the sense that 181 was a slow increase on value for years and then seemed to take off about 30-35 years after its initial release. We're currently at 32 years on ASM 300. Both books are the first full appearance of what became massively popular characters, and 300 has the extra kick of a massively popular artist and an anniversary issue. My take on it is that there were people who missed on out major keys in the past like IH 181 when they were still affordable, and they don't want to make that mistake again with what is arguably the top mass-appeal key of the Copper Age that is still widely attainable (yes, I'm aware of TMNT 1, but that is also not affordable for many/most at this point).

For me, I bought in on ASM 300 in the price/grade I felt comfortable affording, which was an 8.5, in mid-September (happened to be a newsstand). I paid $380. The last 5 sales of a CGC blue label 8.5 on eBay were $585, $500, $675, $600 and $536, between 10/20-10/26.

I wrote the below in an earlier post, highlighting a post I found from 2010 where people were saying Hulk 181 was overvalued, prices were skyrocketing for no reason, the bubble would burst, and if you paid $1,000 for a copy you wouldn't make your money back:

"In 2010, $1,000 would have probably gotten you a VF or 8.0 copy of IH 181. FMV on that copy today - 10 years later - is more than 4x that at about $4,300."

So my opinion is that we're seeing people who want to get in while it's still relatively low, who may have missed out on other keys before they went high - GSXM 1, IH 181, etc.

3 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

Colin

I'm not following current Marvel comics, but it's my understanding from posts on these boards that Cates's current Venom run is very popular. And it seems that he's really expanding the symbiote corner of the Marvel universe. So it could be that excitement for that is prompting people to go out and get Venom's keys. Especially if the current runs results in Venom becomes an A-list character completely separate from the Spider-man connection.

12 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I've mentioned this before, but one interesting thing to note is the comparison of ASM 300 to Hulk 181, in the sense that 181 was a slow increase on value for years and then seemed to take off about 30-35 years after its initial release. We're currently at 32 years on ASM 300. Both books are the first full appearance of what became massively popular characters, and 300 has the extra kick of a massively popular artist and an anniversary issue. My take on it is that there were people who missed on out major keys in the past like IH 181 when they were still affordable, and they don't want to make that mistake again with what is arguably the top mass-appeal key of the Copper Age that is still widely attainable (yes, I'm aware of TMNT 1, but that is also not affordable for many/most at this point).

For me, I bought in on ASM 300 in the price/grade I felt comfortable affording, which was an 8.5, in mid-September (happened to be a newsstand). I paid $380. The last 5 sales of a CGC blue label 8.5 on eBay were $585, $500, $675, $600 and $536, between 10/20-10/26.

I wrote the below in an earlier post, highlighting a post I found from 2010 where people were saying Hulk 181 was overvalued, prices were skyrocketing for no reason, the bubble would burst, and if you paid $1,000 for a copy you wouldn't make your money back:

"In 2010, $1,000 would have probably gotten you a VF or 8.0 copy of IH 181. FMV on that copy today - 10 years later - is more than 4x that at about $4,300."

So my opinion is that we're seeing people who want to get in while it's still relatively low, who may have missed out on other keys before they went high - GSXM 1, IH 181, etc.

Difference is ASM - 300 in 9.8 = 1343, IH 181 in 9.8 = 137 (thumbsu

44 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Sure, the total census amount is definitely a difference, but I'm not saying that ASM 300 is going to become a $40,000 book or whatever 181 is now in a 9.8. I'm just saying that there are parallels that can explain why ASM 300 is growing in price, if my theory is correct that people don't want to miss the boat on a relatively affordable key that still has some meat on the bone in terms of realizing more value. I think available supply is a better metric than total overall census too - and there are more total available copies of ASM 300 for sale than IH 181, but the comparison ratio starts to go down when you look at that in relation to total existing copies.

For example, there are currently 126 blue label CGC 9.8s of IH 181 on the census. 2 are for sale right now on eBay, which is 1.58% of existing copies for sale. And there are 1,048 blue label CGC 9.8 ASM 300, and 13 are available on eBay for sale - that's 1.24% of existing copies for sale.

10 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

this is irrelevant. how many boardies have a hulk 181 in a grade less than 9.8? 99.9 percent of us. 

when people want a book, they buy the grade they can afford. around 11,000 graded 181s out there, and 18,300 asm300s. 

supply and demand are all that matter. venom is very very popular. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is irrelevant. how many boardies have a hulk 181 in a grade less than 9.8? 99.9 percent of us. 

when people want a book, they buy the grade they can afford. around 11,000 graded 181s out there, and 18,300 asm300s. 

There are nearly 20K graded New Mutants 98, and 12.7K in 9.4 or above, and probably countless more that haven't been graded but are in decent condition (since that was from an era when tons of people were trying to keep books in Near Mint condition), and that hasn't stopped it from becoming a $1000 book in 9.8

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

The demand is that pre spent stimulus check :banana:

Im too young to have gotten any cheap silver age key issues.

I was poor when IH181 was affordable.

I splurged and got my ASM300 9.6 in 2018, no regrets. I wanted a 9.8 but refused to pay over 2X a 9.6 without being able to inspect it in hand.

I can’t see myself dropping $5K on a 9.8 today, but I also can’t see this book going back to $2K for 9.8.  I think this book is the next IH181, but at a lower price point overall due to higher grades and larger supply. It’s even an actual 2nd appearance, just like IH181, 😂.

I've posted about GoCollect's seeming inability to keep up with this book in the past, but now I'm honestly starting to wonder if something shady is going on with them. Before I thought they maybe couldn't keep up with this book, since it seemed to continue to climb at an unbelievable rate - that was at least plausible and maybe understandable. But now... in the past couple of days they finally upgraded FMVs a bit - 9.8 was at $3,400, 8.5 was at $475 (I paid attention to these two as basically the top grade and the grade I own).

But today they updated again. They downgraded FMVs across every single grade. For example, they downgraded 9.8 FMVs to $2,700 and 8.5s to $375.

The last 5 eBay sales of CGC blue 9.8 were $4,999; $4,124.95; $4,451; $4,368 and $5,200. The last 5 eBay sales of 8.5s were $500; $585; $500; $675 and $600.

Up to now, it was a point of annoyance in what seemed like a situation where GoCollect couldn't keep up to the FMVs of a fast-increasing book. At this point though, after a half-measure upgrade two days ago and then a seemingly blatant downgrade of this book's FMV on 10/31, it begs the question if there are ulterior motives at play to suppress the true value of this book. I know GPA is the standard, but for a lot of people (like myself) who don't deal in a lot of graded books, GoCollect was billed as the best alternative. But if FMVs are this far off, and especially if they're being manipulated, that's a big problem.

17 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:
On 10/30/2020 at 10:16 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Then again, how many boardies have multiple copies of a Spidey 300 either raw HG or in a slabbed grade less than 9.8?  hm

I would say 99.999% of us.  lol