• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I've posted about GoCollect's seeming inability to keep up with this book in the past, but now I'm honestly starting to wonder if something shady is going on with them. Before I thought they maybe couldn't keep up with this book, since it seemed to continue to climb at an unbelievable rate - that was at least plausible and maybe understandable. But now... in the past couple of days they finally upgraded FMVs a bit - 9.8 was at $3,400, 8.5 was at $475 (I paid attention to these two as basically the top grade and the grade I own).

But today they updated again. They downgraded FMVs across every single grade. For example, they downgraded 9.8 FMVs to $2,700 and 8.5s to $375.

The last 5 eBay sales of CGC blue 9.8 were $4,999; $4,124.95; $4,451; $4,368 and $5,200. The last 5 eBay sales of 8.5s were $500; $585; $500; $675 and $600.

Up to now, it was a point of annoyance in what seemed like a situation where GoCollect couldn't keep up to the FMVs of a fast-increasing book. At this point though, after a half-measure upgrade two days ago and then a seemingly blatant downgrade of this book's FMV on 10/31, it begs the question if there are ulterior motives at play to suppress the true value of this book. I know GPA is the standard, but for a lot of people (like myself) who don't deal in a lot of graded books, GoCollect was billed as the best alternative. But if FMVs are this far off, and especially if they're being manipulated, that's a big problem.

I looked at what you are saying and found they use a 180 day average. Since the massive increase happened around 60 days ago, there are a large number of $2K 9.8 sales dragging down the average of the newer much higher sales. 
Assuming you have paid subscription, you can dive deeper and set your own average. I just changed mine to 90 day avg, and the 9.8 rises to $3,700. 180 day avg is too long for a high volume seller, I think.
The recent large FMV change you mentioned is beyond my understanding. I can guess it has something to do with not having any ebay sales entered for 13 day in October, then the subsequent catch-up after fixing the bug.

GoCollect has a very responsive and helpful customer service in my experience. I’m sure they can help.

23 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is irrelevant. how many boardies have a hulk 181 in a grade less than 9.8? 99.9 percent of us. 

when people want a book, they buy the grade they can afford. around 11,000 graded 181s out there, and 18,300 asm300s. 

supply and demand are all that matter. venom is very very popular. 

I used to think similarly, but recently I've changed my thinking based on the increasing number of time-payment transactions that I've experienced, heard from other collectors and dealers, and witnessed.

Time payments enable folks who couldn't otherwise afford a purchase today, the time to generate additional funds via sales of their comics or other merchandise, allocate future salary or commissions, collect on IOU's, obtai an LOC or what have you from a financial institution, etc.

As the books continue to increase in price, we will see more purchases made via time payments.

15 hours ago, Joosh said:

It’s even an actual 2nd appearance, just like IH181,

They're both first full appearances, but ASM 300 isn't even Venom's second appearance in the title, let alone overall.

Just took a look at the GPA prices for 9.8’s, blue label, direct, white pages, and likewise for the 9.6’s over the past two weeks and noticed significant volatility.

During this period, 9 copies in 9.8 sold from $4115-5750.  That’s nearly a 40% swing.  It should be noted that the lower and upper prices were sold within a day of each other.

Average Price of the 9 copies = 4,805

in the same period, 20 copies in 9.6 sold from $1281-2125.  And that’s a 66% swing!

Average price of the 20 copies = $1,563

Tomorrow, i’ll look into the 9.4’s and lower.

20 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just took a look at the GPA prices for 9.8’s, blue label, direct, white pages, and likewise for the 9.6’s over the past two weeks and noticed significant volatility.

During this period, 9 copies in 9.8 sold from $4115-5750.  That’s nearly a 40% swing.  It should be noted that the lower and upper prices were sold within a day of each other.

in the same period, 20 copies in 9.6 sold from $1281-2125.  And that’s a 66% swing!

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/150744

yet gocollect went down to $2800 idk

On 10/30/2020 at 12:57 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I've mentioned this before, but one interesting thing to note is the comparison of ASM 300 to Hulk 181, in the sense that 181 was a slow increase on value for years and then seemed to take off about 30-35 years after its initial release. We're currently at 32 years on ASM 300. Both books are the first full appearance of what became massively popular characters, and 300 has the extra kick of a massively popular artist and an anniversary issue. My take on it is that there were people who missed on out major keys in the past like IH 181 when they were still affordable, and they don't want to make that mistake again with what is arguably the top mass-appeal key of the Copper Age that is still widely attainable (yes, I'm aware of TMNT 1, but that is also not affordable for many/most at this point).

For me, I bought in on ASM 300 in the price/grade I felt comfortable affording, which was an 8.5, in mid-September (happened to be a newsstand). I paid $380. The last 5 sales of a CGC blue label 8.5 on eBay were $585, $500, $675, $600 and $536, between 10/20-10/26.

I wrote the below in an earlier post, highlighting a post I found from 2010 where people were saying Hulk 181 was overvalued, prices were skyrocketing for no reason, the bubble would burst, and if you paid $1,000 for a copy you wouldn't make your money back:

"In 2010, $1,000 would have probably gotten you a VF or 8.0 copy of IH 181. FMV on that copy today - 10 years later - is more than 4x that at about $4,300."

So my opinion is that we're seeing people who want to get in while it's still relatively low, who may have missed out on other keys before they went high - GSXM 1, IH 181, etc.

It's also in Amazing Spiderman so that helps with the value

On 11/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

yet gocollect went down to $2800 idk

Folks please correct me if I am wrong, but I think GoCollect includes info on private sales that GPA does not.  How it gets that info, I dunno.  It's not as transparent as GPA, where you generally can see the actual sales in eBay or Heritage.  This gives me some pause relying on GoCollect, certainly if its the only source.   

Edited by Pantodude

21 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Folks please correct me if I am wrong, but I think GoCollect includes info on private sales that GPA does not.  How it gets that info, I dunno.  It's not as transparent as GPA, where you generally can see the actual sales in eBay or Heritage.  This gives me some pause relying on GoCollect, certainly if its the close to the only free  source.   

Fix that for you, and I know, cause I'm finding that our myself.

I half way new when I bought a x-men 30 center slab and Gocollect has yet to acknowledge that sale, it has its fmv as there were enough sales, but it says the grade 8.5 last sale was like a year before the purchase I made. I could email them, but never got around to it and time has past, a lot of time

On 11/3/2020 at 1:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Continuing with the 9.4’s, 11 copies sold during this two week period from $650-$975.  That’s a 50% swing

average price for a 9.4 during this period was $845.

For 9.2’s, there were 14 sales during this period from $636-$1037, which is a 63% swing!  The average price was $767.

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

20201112_172800.jpg

:x

A new addition to someones collection hadn't been posted by a board member in a minute, glad to see it's being sought after!

:whee:

13 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I’ve lost count 😂 

i decided to focus only on 9.6’s and 9.8’s (although, I’d love to own a 9.9).

so i’ve Also sold and traded some of my under copies.  Guess I’ll have to count them 😃 

Sorry I don't remember, but what is your opinion on direct vs newsstand