• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm brand new here. So new that this is my first post. I'm not new to collecting, however, and have a 6,000+ collection of mostly copper age books. 

This thread caught my eye because I realize I have a nice copy of ASM 300 sitting in a long box. It's not slabbed - it's not even in mylar, but in a standard plastic bag. I have no great affection for it and given the prices I've seen here, I could happily sell it and use the money to further my other collecting goals. Further complicating this is that I have never sold a comic, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

What would this group recommend I do to realize the best price for it? Should I have it graded? Sell it on eBay? Consign it to Heritage? Hang on to it for another five years? 

(I do recognize I should get in a mylar bag asap).

Thanks in advance

IMG_9734.jpg

I thought this was going to the one. A very short duration listing a few days under the weekend radar. I had snagged it but with a second left, a 1 feedback bidder sniped it from me. If it wasn't for him, would have it on the cheap. So I landed runner-up; what are the odds I get a 2nd chance offer? 

ASM 300 9.8 SS TM

5 minutes ago, astrometric said:

I thought this was going to the one. A very short duration listing a few days under the weekend radar. I had snagged it but with a second left, a 1 feedback bidder sniped it from me. If it wasn't for him, would have it on the cheap. So I landed runner-up; what are the odds I get a 2nd chance offer? 

ASM 300 9.8 SS TM

If that's cheap I definitely need to figure out how to sell mine.

24 minutes ago, astrometric said:

ASM 300 9.8 SS TM

....... if you are the under bidder and get the 2nd chance

I assume you'll take it, but what would it be price wise, your max bid? That it jumped to? Or the minimum max bid?

You dont have to say the amount exactly if you dont want to :foryou:

See it's still selling at auction for 4k regularly in blue label

Those $5k sales were optimistic bin, those sellers must be riding the wave!

20 minutes ago, TappanZee said:

Surfs Up!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

....... if you are the under bidder and get the 2nd chance

I assume you'll take it, but what would it be price wise, your max bid? That it jumped to? Or the minimum max bid?

You dont have to say the amount exactly if you dont want to :foryou:

See it's still selling at auction for 4k regularly in blue label

Those $5k sales were optimistic bin, those sellers must be riding the wave!

It appears that 1 feedback bidder was legit. Feedback just went to 2; quite often those large sellers have auto feedback which is immediately given upon payment.

My initial max on this was $4500 but of course I overbid @$4777. Reality is without the top bidder, it would only have taken $4596 to win. These have been selling between $5500-$6000 while the dual SL/TM has broken $7K. I thought given the PQ on this particular one and the jagged right edge, could have gotten it on the cheap but in reality I didn't stick to my goal and bid too much, so ultimately probably a blessing it played out like this. I just need to wait and be patient. I should just wait until 2021 post-movie. 

2 minutes ago, astrometric said:

It appears that 1 feedback bidder was legit. Feedback just went to 2; quite often those large sellers have auto feedback which is immediately given upon payment.

My initial max on this was $4500 but of course I overbid @$4777. Reality is without the top bidder, it would only have taken $4596 to win. These have been selling between $5500-$6000 while the dual SL/TM has broken $7K. I thought given the PQ on this particular one and the jagged right edge, could have gotten it on the cheap but in reality I didn't stick to my goal and bid too much, so ultimately probably a blessing it played out like this. I just need to wait and be patient. I should just wait until 2021 post-movie. 

That makes sense, I'm hoping the price doesnt fluctuate too much, but with ss in the picture on such a high profile book, itll always be a premium in some fashion, I'm sure :eek:

EEK

1 hour ago, astrometric said:

These have been selling between $5500-$6000

You referring to TM yellow label 9.8? Where have you seen those numbers? If things get too out of control next year there's more 9.6 yellow Mcfarlanes and 9.6 yellows might be more coveted anyway for a 33 year old book. 

1 hour ago, TappanZee said:

Yours appears to be in solid shape. It looks like there may be some surface dirt on the corner price box. I think I might consider submitting that for a press and grade.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

You referring to TM yellow label 9.8? Where have you seen those numbers? If things get too out of control next year there's more 9.6 yellow Mcfarlanes and 9.6 yellows might be more coveted anyway for a 33 year old book. 

Actually after your comment, I looked back. The only saved sold auctions I had were 2X SS 9.8 TM/SL in $7K range. There were several single TM SS 9.8s listed in $6K-$6.5K range but it appears these were all sold offline as the listings were ended early by seller(s) and "no longer available." There was another two floating here on the boards that I tried to negotiate on via PM but that sold for $5K and the other one a higher amount that I'm not sure of. 

9 hours ago, astrometric said:

Actually after your comment, I looked back. The only saved sold auctions I had were 2X SS 9.8 TM/SL in $7K range. There were several single TM SS 9.8s listed in $6K-$6.5K range but it appears these were all sold offline as the listings were ended early by seller(s) and "no longer available." There was another two floating here on the boards that I tried to negotiate on via PM but that sold for $5K and the other one a higher amount that I'm not sure of. 

The highest price paid for a cgc 9.8 sig series (McFarlane sig only) is $4827, according to GPA, which does seem low to me.  I think it’s safe to say that there has been several private sales in the vicinity of $5.5K

9.8’s with Stan and Todd’s sigs have sold for a  significant premium, with the bulk of the additional value owing to Stan’s sig.  Given the number of copies Stan has signed, this surprises me.  Regardless, per GPA, copies have sold for 6.2-7K this year

58 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The highest price paid for a cgc 9.8 sig series (McFarlane sig only) is $4827, according to GPA, which does seem low to me.  I think it’s safe to say that there has been several private sales in the vicinity of $5.5K

9.8’s with Stan and Todd’s sigs have sold for a  significant premium, with the bulk of the additional value owing to Stan’s sig.  Given the number of copies Stan has signed, this surprises me.  Regardless, per GPA, copies have sold for 6.2-7K this year

$4000 for blue seems to be 90 day average, can't see Todd's sig or remark being worth much more then $200 in my opinion.

Where do you see the book (blue) in 12 months time? I'm starting to feel as though I might have 'overpaid for a blue label. Though I took into account the value I bought the 4 books I used in trade at the time of purchase so it works out to a 9.8 just over 3k

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

$4000 for blue seems to be 90 day average, can't see Todd's sig or remark being worth much more then $200 in my opinion.

Where do you see the book (blue) in 12 months time? I'm starting to feel as though I might have 'overpaid for a blue label. Though I took into account the value I bought the 4 books I used in trade at the time of purchase so it works out to a 9.8 just over 3k

I don’t speculate on pricing for this book because I have a significant interest in it and I wish to remain as neutral as possible.

i share facts based on previous sales, at least, those that are public sales, and then I may take the data points and drill down a bit more to share with forum members.

17 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yours appears to be in solid shape. It looks like there may be some surface dirt on the corner price box. I think I might consider submitting that for a press and grade.

Thanks. Yeah, the more I poke around, the more it seems like that's the smart thing to do. With no record as a seller on eBay, I can't imagine anyone would give me a great price if I sold it raw. If it comes back graded at 2.0 I can always hold on to it for another 33 years.

That 4800 Mcfarlane only yellow was the last sale and it was this month. It's way above all the priors by a mile. The last Stan, Mcfarlane yellow of 7k was the last sale and it was equally a mile above all priors. Safe to say this tide will substantially lift all these boats. 

On 10/20/2020 at 9:41 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

I'll admit I'm not a paid member of GoCollect so I can't dig down too far, but their assessment of FMV on this book continues to baffle me. Here's the link: https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/150744

And here's a screenshot to capture the current FMV:

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.40.55 AM.png

So since this posting, we have 1,051 9.8 universal with a gain of 8 and a loss of 1 SS? :facepalm:

image.thumb.png.305bf4b7825751363be051c36392af51.png

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

Man, these things are so much like tulips it's freaking me out.  Anybody holding on to one of these things is setting themselves up for serious regret later.  There are 13,000 copies certified in 9.2 are above.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  There are tens of thousands in collections that are raw and practically forgotten about.  You really won't like it when those start pouring in for the gold rush.  The speculators will run for the hills in a heartbeat and prices will plummet back to earth.

If you can find somebody else willing to pay you thousands of dollars for this book right now, I recommend doing so.  Very soon.  2c

18 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Man, these things are so much like tulips it's freaking me out.  Anybody holding on to one of these things is setting themselves up for serious regret later.  There are 13,000 copies certified in 9.2 are above.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  There are tens of thousands in collections that are raw and practically forgotten about.  You really won't like it when those start pouring in for the gold rush.  The speculators will run for the hills in a heartbeat and prices will plummet back to earth.

If you can find somebody else willing to pay you thousands of dollars for this book right now, I recommend doing so.  Very soon.  2c

Sounds about right. I am holding off. Looking at other books in the meantime. It's not a book that will be "Rare". There will always be several listed in any condition all over the net.

23 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

The tulip bubble is an interesting analogy. Have there been other similar spikes in prices for comics that weren't based on their scarcity?  

FWIW, I'm about to ship mine off for grading but from what you're saying by the time I get it back it may be too late. Oh well.

2 hours ago, TappanZee said:

The tulip bubble is an interesting analogy. Have there been other similar spikes in prices for comics that weren't based on their scarcity?  

Many, many times.  Think Silver Surfer 50 in the early 90s, Kamala Khan Captain Marvel, etc.  This is definitely a hype period and I guarantee there are many, many people out there sitting on a dozen or more high grade copies thinking they've got the next IH 181 on their hands.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has an unopened case of them squirreled away.  This is not a rare, scarce, or even uncommon book.  Not even in 9.8.

2 hours ago, TappanZee said:

FWIW, I'm about to ship mine off for grading but from what you're saying by the time I get it back it may be too late. Oh well.

Short answer is get it graded and sell it ASAP.  Long answer is this-  I don't know what you have into your copy, but let's say you paid a bunch for a raw copy 15 years ago, say $200 (yes, you could get raw NM+ for that much then).  If it grades a 9.8 and you sell it for $4k, that's a return of 20x on your initial investment.  How long would you have to wait for it to do that again?  Until the price is (or ever will be) $80,000.  That's assuming it just keeps going up which it almost definitely won't.  Wouldn't you rather take that $4k and buy other books that have a much better potential ROI?  

Don't believe the hype.  This too, shall pass.

5 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Many, many times.  Think Silver Surfer 50 in the early 90s, Kamala Khan Captain Marvel, etc.  This is definitely a hype period and I guarantee there are many, many people out there sitting on a dozen or more high grade copies thinking they've got the next IH 181 on their hands.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has an unopened case of them squirreled away.  This is not a rare, scarce, or even uncommon book.  Not even in 9.8.

Short answer is get it graded and sell it ASAP.  Long answer is this-  I don't know what you have into your copy, but let's say you paid a bunch for a raw copy 15 years ago, say $200 (yes, you could get raw NM+ for that much then).  If it grades a 9.8 and you sell it for $4k, that's a return of 20x on your initial investment.  How long would you have to wait for it to do that again?  Until the price is (or ever will be) $80,000.  That's assuming it just keeps going up which it almost definitely won't.  Wouldn't you rather take that $4k and buy other books that have a much better potential ROI?  

Don't believe the hype.  This too, shall pass.

Counterpoint:

There are about 1,300 CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300 on the CGC Census and 10 graded at CGC 9.9.

The CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300 sells for around $4,000.

There are 8,000 PSA 8 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan cards on the PSA Census and 3,000 graded at PSA 9 or higher.

The PSA 8 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan sells for around $6,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Fleer-Michael-Jordan-RC-PSA-8-/353277719892

Which collectible to do you think "shall pass" back down in value first or fastest?