• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I haven’t bothered to buy one yet, I don’t think it’s worth 5K. Even if I decided to, there is always one listed somewhere. It’s not rare.

I used to think the same about Marvel Spotlight #5, about 10 year ago, and IM #55 after its initial run up in the early 90's.  After the movie hype, the value of Marvel Spotlight was stagnant...until recently.  We'll see what happens with IM #55 over the next few years.

But, it is important to note that Marvel is pumping out Venom series after series, expanding the Venomverse & its influence on the Marvel Universe on Earth and elsewhere.  Venom's influence is spreading, but only time will tell what happens to the value of ASM 300 after the next movie...or the third movie in the series, etc.

Again, I am neutral in all discussions relating to the value of ASM 300.  One the one hand, I have several dozen copies of the book.  On the other hand, I still need to acquire a few dozen more.  And in the midst of my quest to obtain 80 copies, I am also upgrading, shifting my focus to 9.6's, 9.8's, and Lord help me, I'd love a 9.9! :cloud9:

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I used to think the same about Marvel Spotlight #5, about 10 year ago, and IM #55 after its initial run up in the early 90's.  After the movie hype, the value of Marvel Spotlight was stagnant...until recently.  We'll see what happens with IM #55 over the next few years.

But, it is important to note that Marvel is pumping out Venom series after series, expanding the Venomverse & its influence on the Marvel Universe on Earth and elsewhere.  Venom's influence is spreading, but only time will tell what happens to the value of ASM 300 after the next movie...or the third movie in the series, etc.

Again, I am neutral in all discussions relating to the value of ASM 300.  One the one hand, I have several dozen copies of the book.  On the other hand, I still need to acquire a few dozen more.  And in the midst of my quest to obtain 80 copies, I am also upgrading, shifting my focus to 9.6's, 9.8's, and Lord help me, I'd love a 9.9! :cloud9:

Yeah, it's like Venom is #1 now. 80 copies let's me know who has one when the time comes to buy a copy lol

I am still surprised that another 9.9 hasn't showed up yet. Maybe the hype will bring collectors out to send them in for grading.

GL with the 9.9, hopefully you'll have it soon.

36 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Yeah, it's like Venom is #1 now. 80 copies let's me know who has one when the time comes to buy a copy lol

I am still surprised that another 9.9 hasn't showed up yet. Maybe the hype will bring collectors out to send them in for grading.

GL with the 9.9, hopefully you'll have it soon.

Thanks!  I’ve been hearing quite a bit about CGC’s hardened grading over the past 6-8 months, but it doesn’t fully explain why there hasn’t been a new 9.9 in years, especially considering the uptick in the number of copies submitted over the past year

21 hours ago, D2 said:

Yeah I do agree with you. I know what you are saying. Which was kind of where my head was going on wondering how many copies were printed. I grew up with X-Men 1, 8 million copies.... but those sales figures escalated quickly. So I couldn't even give a safe number on how many raws would be out there, but I wondered possibly a million more.

If I had to take a guess, I say there would probably be about 500 or so more 9.8s waiting to be found. total.

And look, I'm not trying to call you out or anything like that, and the truth is, no one truly knows the answer to the question of "how many are still out there that would be 9.8 books?"  The one thing I do know, is that everyone in this thread enjoys, in some form, "the thrill of the hunt," and thats what makes collection, investing, speculating, whatever you do, worthwhile.  Nothing but smile emojis and unicorns and sunshine going forward on this end.

1 hour ago, bluehorseshoe said:

And look, I'm not trying to call you out or anything like that, and the truth is, no one truly knows the answer to the question of "how many are still out there that would be 9.8 books?"  The one thing I do know, is that everyone in this thread enjoys, in some form, "the thrill of the hunt," and thats what makes collection, investing, speculating, whatever you do, worthwhile.  Nothing but smile emojis and unicorns and sunshine going forward on this end.

Yeah for sure, it’s all good. I just read it as you scrutinizing the options, which is a good thing. Fact of it all is you’re right.

It’s a tough thing to speculate. I guess that’s half the fun of it. 

So, based on recent sales captured in GPA, it seems as though Universal 9.8's keep on keeping on, at around $4.8K, while 9.2's-9.6's are on the rise.  I don't pay much attention to lower grade sales, but I'm certain they remain very healthy.

By the way, this time last year, you could get a Universal 9.8 for around $1.8-$2K, and 9.6's were readily available at $700 a copy.

Other Copper books have experienced similar % increases in 9.8 (ASM 238, 252, 299, Secret Wars 8, Hulk 340, Thor 337).

All I can say is we live in interesting times. 

Something to think about...

Have been reading Cates Venom run and recently watched the Venom movie again and it is clear that the symbiote is its own character.  The symbiote is Venom.  Eddie Brock is just a vessel.  Eddie was the first, current and most successful of the characters attached to the Venom symbiote, and the bond between the two deserves all the accolade it gets.  (ASM 300)

So the symbiote calls itself Venom?  It was the symbiote who suggested to Eddie to call themselves Venom. (Web Annual 8)  Maybe ASM 252 should be worth ASM 300 type money, or maybe people really like Eddie Brock that much.  

33 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Have been reading Cates Venom run and recently watched the Venom movie again and it is clear that the symbiote is its own character.  The symbiote is Venom.  Eddie Brock is just a vessel.  Eddie was the first, current and most successful of the characters attached to the Venom symbiote, and the bond between the two deserves all the accolade it gets.  (ASM 300)

So the symbiote calls itself Venom?  It was the symbiote who suggested to Eddie to call themselves Venom. (Web Annual 8)  Maybe ASM 252 should be worth ASM 300 type money, or maybe people really like Eddie Brock that much.  

By that token, (something to think about, then asm #258 could be considered in that running....

On 2/1/2021 at 9:53 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I haven’t bothered to buy one yet, I don’t think it’s worth 5K. Even if I decided to, there is always one listed somewhere. It’s not rare.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that it is rare, but rather, the demand simply outweighs the supply. If you are not buying one because “there’s always one listed somewhere,” at some point, haven’t you noticed that this book that is always listed keeps getting more expensive and more expensive?

22 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that it is rare, but rather, the demand simply outweighs the supply. If you are not buying one because “there’s always one listed somewhere,” at some point, haven’t you noticed that this book that is always listed keeps getting more expensive and more expensive?

Depends, with stimulus money coming in, tax returns, it's just a bubble IMO. I still don't think it's worth 5K. And even if it holds at 5K, it's not like I can't just open up the internet and buy one right?

Maybe I will sell enough comics that the market is paying to regain a loss if I choose to buy one, and if it goes down in value.

We'll see, again, not in a rush to buy something not rare.

I did buy an ASM 238, with the semi low census numbers, and the hard retention of the tattoos, I think this book was not hoarded like 300.

11 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

the symbiote isn't venom until asm 300 

10 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

By that token, (something to think about, then asm #258 could be considered in that running....

4678369E-0FFB-4670-A01C-7FEF8A12D95F.png

I'm still of the belief that #300/299 are venom, as it says we are venom and not I, but considering all, that Symbiote is still specific to venom as Eddie is and by comparison or train of thought above should be recognized as much..... or at least as much as Eddie...

Just a thought :)

5 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Depends, with stimulus money coming in, tax returns, it's just a bubble IMO. I still don't think it's worth 5K. And even if it holds at 5K, it's not like I can't just open up the internet and buy one right?

Maybe I will sell enough comics that the market is paying to regain a loss if I choose to buy one, and if it goes down in value.

We'll see, again, not in a rush to buy something not rare.

I did buy an ASM 238, with the semi low census numbers, and the hard retention of the tattoos, I think this book was not hoarded like 300.

Sounds like a plan.  Paying more for something later, even though the price keeps going up because of demand, not rarity, makes really super good sense. :whatev: