• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Took a quick look on ebay for ASM 300 9.8 availability and surprise, surprise, there's only a handful of copies available.

The least expensive Universal, direct is priced at $8.9K, with another copy at $9, 988.

Sig Series, direct will cost you $9.8K for the cheapest available copy, and then it just gets silly from there.

Looks like ebay is no longer your best venue to buy a copy, so I suspect we'll be seeing a runup on Clink, HA, and elsewhere very soon.

Any sales at that price?

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

:foryou:

Did they take away the laugh emoji on the reactions?

Tbh I'm not sure where the ceiling is on this book that defies all supply and demand, maybe these prices are the next phase. I'm curious how quickly IH 181 got to its ceiling at 42k, and it's not even the ceiling on that book anymore (I think one sold at comiclink for 60k)

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Did they take away the laugh emoji on the reactions?

Tbh I'm not sure where the ceiling is on this book that defies all supply and demand, maybe these prices are the next phase. I'm curious how quickly IH got to its ceiling at 42k, and it's not even the ceiling on that book anymore (I think one sold at comiclink for 60k)

I don’t think any one can make a reasonable prediction of where this market is going to end up.  It’s crazy town right now.

I feel the book could hit $7439 as I’m typing this....

When I spend say a few thousand on a comic or comics I always ask myself is there any other book(s) I would rather own or save for then the prospective book(s) in front of me.  Right now you can put ASM300 CGC 9.6 or 9.8 money into so so many other cooler, scarcer and much better long term investment keys.  I mean last night on HA you had a nice copy of Showcase 4 and Hulk 1 sell at rather affordable prices so far as if you forego your ASM300s you are a chunk on the way to owning either of those fantastic keys.  If this hot potato market cools down there will be a ton of ASM300s for any collector to pick up any hour of any day including a glut of over-hyped variant covers and Star Wars books.  It is simply so super-common and IMO inflated that most people can't even explain why ASM300 keeps going up in price (and it is not just supply vs demand). I can't even get slightly excited seeing an ASM300 anymore despite the amazing front cover artwork - it just is a book that will feel the first cracks of any downward market movement.  My 2 cents is stay away from this book now and look elsewhere to park your money.  IF you must have a copy find a decent raw VG and enjoy it.  My 2-cents. :preach:

LEMMINGS.JPG

23 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

When I spend say a few thousand on a comic or comics I always ask myself is there any other book(s) I would rather own or save for then the prospective book(s) in front of me.  Right now you can put ASM300 CGC 9.6 or 9.8 money into so so many other cooler, scarcer and much better long term investment keys.  I mean last night on HA you had a nice copy of Showcase 4 and Hulk 1 sell at rather affordable prices so far as if you forego your ASM300s you are a chunk on the way to owning either of those fantastic keys.  If this hot potato market cools down there will be a ton of ASM300s for any collector to pick up any hour of any day including a glut of over-hyped variant covers and Star Wars books.  It is simply so super-common and IMO inflated that most people can't even explain why ASM300 keeps going up in price (and it is not just supply vs demand). I can't even get slightly excited seeing an ASM300 anymore despite the amazing front cover artwork - it just is a book that will feel the first cracks of any downward market movement.  My 2 cents is stay away from this book now and look elsewhere to park your money.  IF you must have a copy find a decent raw VG and enjoy it.  My 2-cents. :preach:

LEMMINGS.JPG

What’s a VG go for right now?:insane:

26 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

LEMMINGS.JPG

I guess it all depends on what you collect.  I collect Bronze and Copper Age Spideys and I’d rather pay $5K for an asm 300 than invest a single, solitary cent into a showcase 4 or Hulk 1.

13 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I guess it all depends on what you collect.  I collect Bronze and Copper Age Spideys and I’d rather pay $5K for an asm 300 than invest a single, solitary cent into a showcase 4 or Hulk 1.

Well said.   For me when you are spending potentially a ton of money on comics, I consider the long term viability of said investment.  When you consider & compare the overall population of comics from the Silver Age to the Copper Age it is likely 1000 to 1 in favor of Copper Age with a LOT less in the top grading tier in Silver (just hazarding a guess).  However if you get no excitement whatsoever from a Hulk1 vs some late Bronze or Copper age gems - than you must go with your heart <3. When comics were cheaper this discussion was academic - however nowadays you need a 2nd mortgage to make an impact into your favorite group of keys so I still say invest wisely.  My 2-cents. :preach:

On 3/3/2021 at 8:47 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The current state of the ASM 300 market....

07D8EC46-6BB4-4158-AF46-AE6543724F3D.gif

I guess the question is will it be able to hold off Spidey 238 who is coming in from the outside and might just pass Spidey 300, especially considering that it is much earlier and most of all, also much tougher to find in grade relative to Spidey 300?  hm  (shrug)  :taptaptap:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess the question is will it be able to hold off Spidey 238 who is coming in from the outside and might just pass Spidey 300, especially considering that it is much earlier and most of all, also much tougher to find in grade relative to Spidey 300?  hm  (shrug)  :taptaptap:

238 has a cover date of Mar ‘83, while 300 is cover dated May ‘88 so I wouldn’t consider the 238 as “much earlier” than the 300.

secondly, Demand for ASM 300 far exceeds that of 238 and will continue to do so.

in terms of the Hulk 181 of the Copper Age from the big two, it’s ASM 300 over 238, by far

On 3/8/2021 at 3:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Recent sales show the book starting to move up again for blue universal labels:

Latest 9.8 sale = $5K

Latest 9.6 sale = $2K

Being a long time comic book collector well before this current CGC generation of slab collectors, the more realistic and relevant price point for me at least is at the CGC 9.2 condition level for these more recent books.  As such, any idea on the value in the lower CGC 9.4 and 9.2 grades?  hm

Especially since grading is still nothing more than a subjective opinion at a particular point in time, I personally would never ever consider slabbing a book if it had no worthwhile value at the CGC 9.2 condition level.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Being a long time comic book collector well before this current CGC generation of slab collectors, the more realistic and relevant price point for me at least is at the CGC 9.2 condition level for these more recent books.  As such, any idea on the value in the lower CGC 9.4 and 9.2 grades?  hm

Especially since grading is still nothing more than a subjective opinion at a particular point in time, I personally would never ever consider slabbing a book if it had no worthwhile value at the CGC 9.2 condition level.  (thumbsu

In 9.4, the last 4 sales, all from Mar 7, for universal direct are: 1050, 950, 1100, 975

in 9.2, the last 4 sales are: 820,870,850,850

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That, and what is the ratio of OW/W to W in 9.8 that drops the number in 9.8 White down further for 238. (shrug)