• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Crushingame said:

Not sure what binary defect means lol.

I don’t think I’m that knowledgeable to know the slight differences keeping it from one grade to another. I did look it over and it’s really nice. I’ll look closer to see if I can see any flaws.

With that said I’m going to keep it as is for now I think.

This is a binary defect, it actually doesn't affect the grade

20200820_184012.jpg

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

And I would say to that: where are they?  Haven't seen a 9.9 in a loooong time.  and by the way, why are there so few 9.9's of this book, given the number of submissions? (shrug)

I'd love the opportunity to own a 9.9

I can't remember exact time frame; perhaps 2010/2011. Out of nowhere an ASM 300 9.9 slab popped up I think on CL. People were going nutz because there was less than a handful in the census. I want to say it ended up selling in the mid/upper $3Kish-$4K range. What unfolded next again can't vividly remember but I want to say over the course of something like 6-8 weeks, a total of 3 more ASM 300 CGC 9.9 opportunities popped up for sale (perhaps same one was flipped twice & the near $4Kish selling price brought out a seller or two)

I was strongly considering buying it at that time but in those days the 9.8's were selling for way way less keep in mind. This part I do recall like yesterday; a comrade of mine who I traded with online did not even flinch or hesitate. He snagged a 9.9 in this time frame for $3600 and said he will never sell it. I know for sure he still has it. 

At some point in time 5 years later, the price really took a sharp upward turn. Here is a red label 9.9 that fetched $12,180 on CC in 2015.

I believe the last sale of an ASM 300 CGC 9.9 was last year on an eBay BIN/BO listing in the $15K range. This could be verified. I really think based on where it sold in 2015, the most recent sale was underpriced and if you let one of these run presently in a bidding style auction on say CL, should have $20K potential. Would be very interesting to see that one.  

6 hours ago, Crushingame said:

Ahhh. I see. Let me check mine. I’ll try to post a couple of pics.

Here’s all I can really see what’s really wrong with the book.

EA2F30CE-3A45-4679-90AA-C3F4AE6BAE12.jpeg

5B8BE43E-1FD9-40BD-A99F-52FCD0C9EB8A.jpeg

5173B99C-800C-471F-9CC5-7F1137240E9F.jpeg

That book looks like it is in really good shape....I would ask around, even post pictures in the please grade my book section, I would even consider talking to joeypost on the forums (he comes highly recommended for pressing) that is a really nice 9.6

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Happy to share that I've added another copy to my collection.  Its a CGC 9.8 blue label, and its a sweet book, but this one's a little different because it has Todd and Stan's signatures on the case instead of being on (or in) the comic. 

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and I'll put up a pic to share it with you all (thumbsu

Yea please share a pic!!!

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Happy to share that I've added another copy to my collection.  Its a CGC 9.8 blue label, and its a sweet book, but this one's a little different because it has Todd and Stan's signatures on the case instead of being on (or in) the comic. 

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and I'll put up a pic to share it with you all (thumbsu

Nice pick up...man the books you have bought recently 

Congrats....

So I have a question for you and anyone else on this thread

ASM 300 9.8 stayed at $2000 for awhile, what was the previous bubble?

should be interesting to see if 'new' pricing on this book holds up. not too many books sell for $2600 on 9/3 and then $5500 on 9/28. ebay sellers also often guilty of shenanigans to raise gpa values. i do think this book will always be popular, but i am suspect of it doubling in value so fast for no reason. 

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

should be interesting to see if 'new' pricing on this book holds up. not too many books sell for $2600 on 9/3 and then $5500 on 9/28. ebay sellers also often guilty of shenanigans to raise gpa values. i do think this book will always be popular, but i am suspect of it doubling in value so fast for no reason. 

Just a few comments on the quoted post above...the $2.6K sale on 9/2 was approximately 10-15% lower than the majority of sales during the weeks immediately before and after its sale.  Secondly there wasn't a $5.5K sale...that was the BIN price.  That book sold for $4.9K and is an outlier.  Roughly speaking, the current average price for a CGC Blue label 9.8 with white pages is approximately $3.8K for public sales.  I can't speak to prices for private sale.

I will recuse myself from speculating on future prices for this book as I have a vested interest in achieving my personal goal of 80 copies.  I will say this:

1. Government stimulus has provided some collectors with more funds to pursue their collecting goals and as such, we've seen a significant spike in the price of ASM 238, 252, 300, Hulk 240, Thor 337, Star Wars 42, Secret Wars 8, etc.  ASM 300 is not isolated when it comes to these strong price hikes
  2. In speaking with fellow collectors, there seems to be a new found collective appreciation for this book now based on its age (30+ years), significance (is there a more important/popular character created during the past 30 years?), prominence in the collective mainstream (Decent 1st movie; 2nd movie awaiting release)?  Will be cool to see what Disney does with the character.  I think this is the mainstream book that Copper Age collectors have now targeted as a "must have" for their collections
  3. Sure, demand (and price) will peak, then plateau, then peak again.  We've seen this cycle with ASM 129, Hulk 181, and other books.  Ultimately, time will tell, but I have a strong suspicion this book is nowhere near its potential value. 
Edited by jjonahjameson11

39 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Apparently a 299 CGC 9.8 sold for $1918 I saw on GPA. That’s got to be bogus! Right? 

Not sure but I was following them a couple of weeks ago, on gocollect it and #298 went up to $375; however, only #299 stayed that way.

I interpreted it as venom cameo out sighed Brock and mcfarlane so, if this sale went through and sticks could be game changer, but I'd be doubtful lol