• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Supply will overwhelmed Demand on this one.

I think it will...until it won’t, and prices will rise again.

we’ve seen similar spike and plateau cycles with several books, notably Hulk 181. Since it seems to be the general consensus that ASM 300 is the Copper Age equivalent to Hulk 181 for the Bronze Age, I expect similar pricing patterns to emerge over the next several years.  

We just happen to be in the midst of a very sharp spike in price at the moment, which was preceded by a long plateau (even a slight price decrease) before the book started it’s ascent.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

12 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

we’ve seen similar spike and plateau cycles with several books, notably Hulk 181. Since it seems to be the general consensus that ASM 300 is the Copper Age equivalent to Hulk 181 for the Bronze Age, I expect similar pricing patterns to emerge over the next several years.  

We just happen to be in the midst of a very sharp spike in price at the moment, which was preceded by a long plateau (even a slight price decrease) before the book started it’s ascent.

I thought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 was the equivalent. Also I don't think Venom is as popular as Wolverine but we'll see I guess

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Actually, the $7025 sale is not a new high for this book. A 9.8 with the same three signatories sold earlier this year for $7.8K

back in April, you could have had this book for $3K

And the point also, it will never be "rare", as a listing is always on eBay. It's a matter of, do I want this in my collection?

I can live without a high grade copy.

23 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

this! when i started collecting again, i wanted a hulk181 for around 2k. so that meant a 9.0. there were lots of voices saying how 'its such a common book!' blah blah blah. many 60 year olds didnt get just how popular logan is with 40-50 year olds, and younger. needless to say 9.0s are 5-6k now. 

i am old enough not to have cared much about venom, but this book and character are clearly the most popular of this era. most 30-45 year olds feel the same way about him as my generation does about logan. the only difference between the 2 books is grade breakdown. if you want to spend 2k now on venom you get an asm300 9.6. but the demand is huge. and if they make better movies with him, it should only help.

i predict a plateau and then small dip before ultimately rising again, exactly as @jjonahjameson11 says, based on what i've seen over the last 7 years.

25 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

And the point also, it will never be "rare", as a listing is always on eBay. It's a matter of, do I want this in my collection?

I can live without a high grade copy.

Thank you!  One less person I have to bid against.

Now, how do I persuade the rest of you potential buyers to become disinterested in this book?  😆😆😆

2 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

Wow. Who is buying these books at these prices? I think I travel in different social circles because I don't know anyone who can afford these right now. Maybe if I was 30 years younger and I knew I had the time to sit on them for a few decades to accrue value but...

Yeah, it's remarkable, but it's just like anything else really - I'd love to own a Mercedes, but I can't really afford it. But I still have a car. People buy what they can afford (hopefully), and there are a lot of people out there who can afford a lot more than others. And you can say that at any level really; I know a lot of people who would - and do - think I'm crazy for spending $400 on a comic for example.

13 hours ago, astrometric said:

Incredible. This book is hotter than Tesla or Amazon stock. I thought for sure this one was gonna be the greatest setup opportunity for me personally and was keeping it quiet. A 24 hour only listing bidding style WITHOUT "SS" in the listing description on a whopping 3X 9.8 SL/TM/DM. Thought I could grab it on the cheap. Well it's about to break $6000 right now with still two and half hours left. Can't wait to see the hammer on this one. 

That's ridiculous 

The book in grade is more valuable then those 3 sigs combined

All due respect to Stan but people should not be paying anymore then max $500 for his signature 

He signed everything 

44 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this! when i started collecting again, i wanted a hulk181 for around 2k. so that meant a 9.0. there were lots of voices saying how 'its such a common book!' blah blah blah. many 60 year olds didnt get just how popular logan is with 40-50 year olds, and younger. needless to say 9.0s are 5-6k now. 

i am old enough not to have cared much about venom, but this book and character are clearly the most popular of this era. most 30-45 year olds feel the same way about him as my generation does about logan. the only difference between the 2 books is grade breakdown. if you want to spend 2k now on venom you get an asm300 9.6. but the demand is huge. and if they make better movies with him, it should only help.

i predict a plateau and then small dip before ultimately rising again, exactly as @jjonahjameson11 says, based on what i've seen over the last 7 years.

Imagine this book was $20,000 one day

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's ridiculous 

The book in grade is more valuable then those 3 sigs combined

All due respect to Stan but people should not be paying anymore then max $500 for his signature 

He signed everything 

To be fair, I think stan signed everything, but it should be mentioned that of each particular issue example ASM #300 there are less than 300 copies signed by Stan in 9.8... Yet if newsstand gets a premium, ss by stan should too...

I agree that he signed a lot, but I also think relatively it's less usually for any particular key issue than those total graded.... Just something to think about imo 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

To be fair, I think stan signed everything, but it should be mentioned that of each particular issue example ASM #300 there are less than 300 copies signed by Stan in 9.8... Yet if newsstand gets a premium, ss by stan should too...

I agree that he signed a lot, but I also think relatively it's less usually for any particular key issue than those total graded.... Just something to think about imo 

Stop being combative 

lol

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Since I'm on the subject

@valiantman

Did you ever take screenshots of possible ss by stan for books?

Back in early 2019?

I think I was calculating those using the CGC Census dates on the CGCdata.com site.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/273

(Scroll down for Signature Series yellow after all the blue)

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I think I was calculating those using the CGC Census dates on the CGCdata.com site.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/273

(Scroll down for Signature Series yellow after all the blue)

ah thanks :) 

8 hours ago, astrometric said:

You tried! I believe this most recent price action is going to shake the fruit tree free of more opportunities. I just thought of the flip side on this one. Imagine instead of an ad hoc 24 hour listing, this was setup late on a Thursday night for 10 days and ran through two full weekends. Probably would have run more. 

Or It could have caused people to have second thoughts on bidding that much 😂

Edited by Crushingame

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

It just boggles my mind that there are over 23,000 slabs! There are probably just as many raws if not more....

Hearing those numbers makes me more of a bear on this specific comic.

So you don’t think there are more than 23,000 people who want this book in CGC?

compared to how many people there are in the world, 23,000 people isn’t a lot. 

🤷🏻‍♂️