• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Considering this one sold for over $7,000.00 it is a good deal if you discount $1,025.00 for the other signatures. 

Edited by joeypost

39 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Considering this one sold for over $7,000.00 it is a good deal if you discount $1,025.00 for the other signatures. 

Joey, I was the 2nd underbidder on the $7K copy.  I bid aggressively at $6903 because there are so few copies in this grade signed by Stan, Todd and David.  

Sure, Stan has signed a bunch of ASM 300’s and so has Todd, but getting all three sigs in 9.8 ain’t easy.  Hence the premium.

32 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Joey, I was the 2nd underbidder on the $7K copy.  I bid aggressively at $6903 because there are so few copies in this grade signed by Stan, Todd and David.  

Sure, Stan has signed a bunch of ASM 300’s and so has Todd, but getting all three sigs in 9.8 ain’t easy.  Hence the premium.

So far I know 3 collectors who were bidding on this one book. Was aware of premiums on multiple sig books, but this is a strong price. Congrats to the seller. 

22 hours ago, valiantman said:

Until recently, it wasn't worth the cost of CGC grading to submit 8.5 and below.  It's very likely that the average copy of ASM #300 in existence is about a 6.0, but they haven't been submitted to CGC yet.

The average copy of a book from 1988 that has never been worthless is only 6.0?

11 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Not sure if this question was covered already but does anyone have any idea/guess what started this huge increase in demand?  No real news of Venom in the MCU or Sony's Spiderverse I don't think. 

Possible movie hype? The sudden awareness  of rarity between direct and newsstand? 
other than that your guess is good as mine lol

54 minutes ago, Crushingame said:
1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Not sure if this question was covered already but does anyone have any idea/guess what started this huge increase in demand?  No real news of Venom in the MCU or Sony's Spiderverse I don't think. 

Possible movie hype? The sudden awareness  of rarity between direct and newsstand? 
other than that your guess is good as mine lol

The current series in modern has a lot of firsts and people like the read, lik its building a venom universe and we're still currently on the ground floor 

That and ongoing movie, not news, but that the movies are still scheduled so its marvels invested property that current readers and collectors are geeking out on

On 10/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Over 23,000

asm 300 census.png

thanks for posting this chart!  I compared it against the chart posted in the asm 300 appreciation thread from 2014, back when only 8.3K copies of ASM 300 were graded.

its interesting to note that there was 10 copies in 9.9 back then, and there’s still only 10 copies in 9.9 today!  So out of the additional 15K copies slabbed since 2014, 9.8 has been the highest grade awarded, which is very challenging for me to believe.

12 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Quarantine... lots of time at home.

Bored people thinking about when they were "young and free" before adulthood, rent/mortgage, utility bills, etc.

Asking themselves, "why don't I have a hobby?" and remembering they used to have sportscards, comics, etc.

Wondering if anything they own is valuable now, checking ebay, seeing books like ASM #300 that they remember wanting.

Checking their collection and finding either no copies or only mid-grade copies.

Buying ASM #300 to fix that problem.

12 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Here’s a few reasons why the book has taken off recently:

Venom is:

1. Linked to Carnage, which adds to demand for ASM 300 given the upcoming movie (yes, a lot of people are taking about it in anticipation of a better movie than the first one)
2. It’s been over 30 years since this book has was published and folks are realizing, perhaps collectively, that there isn’t a more significant or popular character created in comics during this time
3. It had already plateaus/lulled in price for the better part of a year prior to its current run up
4. Believe me when I say that a lot of people with government stimulus money are using those funds to purchase comics now that they couldn’t afford previously without the stimulus money.  They are also saving money by working from home and have more disposable income to spend on whatever they want.  Think decreased consumption/prices for gas, insurance, parking, public transit, etc 
5. Movie speculation - in general 
6. Venomverse- the expansion of Venom’s backstory, including origin, homeplanet, supporting characters over the past few years has been a big hit for Marvel and leads people back to ASM 300

7.” A rising tide lifts all boats” - in general, back issue keys have been on the rise since March.  ASM 300 is one of the books benefitting from the tide

feel free to add anything I may have missed.

55 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Quarantine... lots of time at home.

Bored people thinking about when they were "young and free" before adulthood, rent/mortgage, utility bills, etc.

Asking themselves, "why don't I have a hobby?" and remembering they used to have sportscards, comics, etc.

Wondering if anything they own is valuable now, checking ebay, seeing books like ASM #300 that they remember wanting.

Checking their collection and finding either no copies or only mid-grade copies.

Buying ASM #300 to fix that problem.

Yup, I forgot about the whole quarantine thing. It may STILL have a small tiny part in why.

But....

I don’t think it’s as isolated as before (being quarantined). People are out now, most places allow up to 75% capacity.

People are back to work and back to school.

Stimulus checks are looong gone, but the “price increases” on this book aren’t. 🤑🤑

Also, a stimulus check wouldn’t even buy you a 9.6 and hardly a 9.4. So those price increases are coming from somewhere.

Edited by Crushingame

16 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Here’s a few reasons why the book has taken off recently:

Venom is:

1. Linked to Carnage, which adds to demand for ASM 300 given the upcoming movie (yes, a lot of people are taking about it in anticipation of a better movie than the first one)
2. It’s been over 30 years since this book has was published and folks are realizing, perhaps collectively, that there isn’t a more significant or popular character created in comics during this time
3. It had already plateaus/lulled in price for the better part of a year prior to its current run up
4. Believe me when I say that a lot of people with government stimulus money are using those funds to purchase comics now that they couldn’t afford previously without the stimulus money.  They are also saving money by working from home and have more disposable income to spend on whatever they want.  Think decreased consumption/prices for gas, insurance, parking, public transit, etc 
5. Movie speculation - in general 
6. Venomverse- the expansion of Venom’s backstory, including origin, homeplanet, supporting characters over the past few years has been a big hit for Marvel and leads people back to ASM 300

7.” A rising tide lifts all boats” - in general, back issue keys have been on the rise since March.  ASM 300 is one of the books benefitting from the tide

feel free to add anything I may have missed.

I can see it being in part of 1, 5 and 6.

15 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That and ongoing movie, not news, but that the movies are still scheduled so its marvels invested property that current readers and collectors are geeking out on

Well, with the way that this wole Covid-19 is playing out and the shuttering of most of the movie theatres, I strongly believe that the impact of movies is going to be far less significant going forward once the economy does open back up in whatever version it does.  hm

On 10/11/2020 at 7:01 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

A smart move with someone with a decent bankroll would be to buy a few of these copies at the inflated prices which would subsequently drive up the prices of the entire lot...whoever would do that would be a genius

Try telling that to the Hunt Brothers who tried to corner the Silver market back at the turn of the 80's.  :gossip:

It most definitely didn't turned out very well for the brothers once Silver Thursday hit them.  :tonofbricks:

4 hours ago, Crushingame said:

Yup, I forgot about the whole quarantine thing. It may STILL have a small tiny part in why.

But....

I don’t think it’s as isolated as before (being quarantined). People are out now, most places allow up to 75% capacity.

People are back to work and back to school.

Stimulus checks are looong gone, but the “price increases” on this book aren’t. 🤑🤑

Also, a stimulus check wouldn’t even buy you a 9.6 and hardly a 9.4. So those price increases are coming from somewhere.

Stimulus cheques of up to 2K per month were flying out for up to 8 months here, and only recently stopped last month.  A new stimulus program started this month with cheques of up to 2K per month...you can also earn up to $1K per month and still qualify for the second round of stimulus.

perhaps the stoppage of stimulus funding is a regional thing, but the Canadian government is doling out hundreds of Billions to us.

I assure you that I have sold numerous books to folks on this message board who have paid/will continue to pay me in monthly instalments just as soon as they receive their stimulus cheques.

Edited by jjonahjameson11