• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

Quoting myself. How pretentious...I just received this copy. It is pristine except for one very small spine tic. I had to snipe this one in the last 10 seconds as I had been sniped on the 4 previous books I had been bidding on. It is definitely going in to CGC and if it grades high as I think it should(but I have been wrong about many things) it should be a good investment as it will definitely be worth more than I paid.

Post up some before pics 

curious to see this “spine tic”

On 10/16/2020 at 6:21 PM, Greatwhite said:

Quoting myself. How pretentious...I just received this copy. It is pristine except for one very small spine tic. I had to snipe this one in the last 10 seconds as I had been sniped on the 4 previous books I had been bidding on. It is definitely going in to CGC and if it grades high as I think it should(but I have been wrong about many things) it should be a good investment as it will definitely be worth more than I paid.

Its probably a decent book, a lot of people say buy the book not the grade, but I say in that case just buy 2 pieces of plastic and stick the book in between them

29 minutes ago, astrometric said:

And just like that. A gigantic ASM300 slab tree has popped up and 9.8's dropping everywhere.

1    2    3     4     5    6     7  

The book has been collected since it came out and was never rare. There are a ton of high grade copies. These prices make me want to get my remaining raw copy graded. Insane money. Think of what you could buy for that amount? Golden age Cap(s!)?!? I know where I could get Captain America Comics 74 and have money leftover from a 9.8. I make that trade.

37 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

The book has been collected since it came out and was never rare. There are a ton of high grade copies. These prices make me want to get my remaining raw copy graded. Insane money. Think of what you could buy for that amount? Golden age Cap(s!)?!? I know where I could get Captain America Comics 74 and have money leftover from a 9.8. I make that trade.

I’d it this one? I don’t even see any listed on eBay

6DC4D489-6C0B-46F4-87FC-B4F5376F285B.jpeg

Edited by Crushingame

9 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I hear ya, but I could care less.  Cap 74 or any Golden Age book, holds zero nostalgia for me.  I’d choose ASM 300 over the others any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

13 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I meant to say “bad @$$ ” cover lol. My previous post left out the “@$$” part because I spelled it out the normal way.  Didn’t want it to seem like I meant “bad” cover lol.

Edited by Crushingame

As with any census numbers you have to get deeper context. For instance there are ten CGC 9.9 copies in the population. However I can unequivocally account for four of these as I know the present owners will not be selling. And I'm willing to bet the buyer who gobbled up the 9.9 last year for $15K or $17K ( I can't remember if he BINd or B/O) that in reality leaves 5 or 6 unaccounted for. You can't just look at an aggregate number at face value and say, there are so many of these out there. Yes there are but in terms of actual available supply in the marketplace, that is a different proposition. 

On the blue 9.8s there is just over 10K. Sounds like a big number but let's just assume 40% of those holders are not going to be unloading their slabs. That really changes projections and price action. I merely was pointing out these most recent listings that have popped up over the last 48 hours as really good indications of price strength. This slab is still making higher highs. The next week will be interesting to see how the bidding style auctions I posted land as I don't believe the demand and price action is going to cool anytime soon.  

2 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

The Best CGC 9.9 ASM300?

https://www.cgccomics.com/gallery/details.aspx?comic=742

Graded: 10/16/2003

Untitled-asm9.9.jpg

Untitled-asm9.9+.jpg

So, I don't want to sound like a jerk (because I certainly don't have a 9.9, or even a 9.8 or a 9.0), but I'm just not a fan of how the inside copy "bleeds" through the front and back cover on this. I've seen that on other books with white or light-colored covers. Is that a product of pressing?

13 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

So, I don't want to sound like a jerk (because I certainly don't have a 9.9, or even a 9.8 or a 9.0), but I'm just not a fan of how the inside copy "bleeds" through the front and back cover on this. I've seen that on other books with white or light-colored covers. Is that a product of pressing?

Not specific to pressing.  I have several raw ASM's from the early to mid-1970's in ultra high grade with similar 'bleeding'.

3 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

The Best CGC 9.9 ASM300?

https://www.cgccomics.com/gallery/details.aspx?comic=742

Graded: 10/16/2003

Untitled-asm9.9.jpg

Untitled-asm9.9+.jpg

I'd have to say this one is (Best Cover shot):

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/todd-mcfarlane-amazing-spider-man-300-cover-original-art-marvel-1988-/a/7099-92276.s

lf.jpg

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

16 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

https://www.beckett.com/news/blowouts-thomas-fish-adds-original-art-of-wolverine-debut-to-collection/

"Fish is no stranger to key pieces of comic book art from the recent past or even further back. He owned and sold the original art for the cover of The Amazing Spider-Man No. 300 by noted artist and baseball collector Todd McFarlane, who is a favorite artist of his. A $16,000 past purchase recently became a $125,000 sale."

ASM300-cvrOA-$125k+CHN.jpg

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

I was looking over my newsstand copy and I had a question for the ASM 300 production quality experts. The right side of the front cover has kind of a jagged cut. Is this common on this issue or totally unheard of? The rest of the issue is high grade (no spine ticks or stresses, small tear to top of spine). It is subtle, and not noticeable at a distance, but it is not as straight as the other edges. I am thinking something to do with the thickness of the book and slight overhang of the cover, but I want to make sure it is not trimmed.