• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's a stamp on the art of the cover

Please

Give your head a shake

waybetter.jpg.bddebd6e7e79c0bf766227ed6305e35f.jpg

I hope this has cleared up things for you.

If not, keep shaking your head until it clears up. If that doesn't work, try to find a local chapter of Stripe Fetishists Anonymous.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
On 10/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, valiantman said:

Controversial, of course, when there is any shift in the market that doesn't benefit everyone.

Controversial when the cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation more efficiently than any fountain.

Those who remember newsstand books as "those beat up copies at the grocery store (or gas station)" are the ones most likely to value high grade newsstands vs. direct editions.

Don't forget those who believe the ridiculous numbers that are invented by cheap hucksters.

Plus, I've seen plenty on Newsstands on the rack that were not beat up, as well as far too many Directs in comic shops that were beat up.

Those who have 99% direct editions in their collection are the ones most likely to say "I think barcodes are ugly, so I don't like newsstands".

You got that backwards. And I wish the percentage (74% here, despite my preference influencing my purchases) was anywhere near that high.

You always repeat the same things with zero proof.  You're the O'Douls of information.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, Lazyboy said:

To what "same things with zero proof" are you referring?

"cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation"

Who are these cheap hucksters?  What misinformation are they spouting?

I've asked you on SEVERAL occasions to provide proof of better ratios than these:

asm300analysis_slabdata.png

... but instead of providing ANY proof of ANY kind, you just keep posting about "cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation".

Who?  Where?

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

"cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation"

Who are these cheap hucksters?  What misinformation are they spouting?

I've asked you on SEVERAL occasions to provide proof of better ratios than these:

... but instead of providing ANY proof of ANY kind, you just keep posting about "cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation".

Who?  Where?

I'm not going to provide a link to Benjamin Nobel's terrible blog, but if you really need one, people constantly post them while referencing it, to my utter dismay. It has been brought up on this forum on far too many occasions and I have even heard it referenced in person at shops and shows. I have, on multiple occasions, pointed out specific flaws (including faulty sources, faulty assumptions, and faulty logic) with the junk posted there.

There exists no proof of the total extant supply of any comic book (including distinct versions). At best, we can see a tiny piece of the picture during a brief window of time. Your CGC ASM #300 feeBay analysis is not misinformation, but it could certainly be regarded as far more important and relevant than it is by those who don't understand context.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

I'm not going to provide a link to Benjamin Nobel's terrible blog, but if you really need one, people constantly post them while referencing it, to my utter dismay. It has been brought up on this forum on far too many occasions and I have even heard it referenced in person at shops and shows. I have, on multiple occasions, pointed out specific flaws (including faulty sources, faulty assumptions, and faulty logic) with the junk posted there.

There exists no proof of the total extant supply of any comic book (including distinct versions). At best, we can see a tiny piece of the picture during a brief window of time. Your CGC ASM #300 feeBay analysis is not misinformation, but it could certainly be regarded as far more important and relevant than it is by those who don't understand context.

This topic is over four months old and according to Google results, no one has mentioned Benjamin Nobel's blog on the 26 pages of posts. 

You post about "cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation", but I'm the only one saying anything in the topic... ratios which are based on 5 years of data. 

How is anyone to know you're talking about someone else, who hasn't been mentioned at all? (shrug)

Since that graphic is getting out of date, and since GPA has started separating Direct and Newsstand sales, let's check up on the ratios:

90-Day GPA records - 7/28/2020 to 10/28/2020 = 458 sales for CGC ASM #300 (Universal and Signature)

Direct-to-Newsstand  Ratio
  CGC 9.8       37-to-1

38 sales

CGC 9.6       14-to-1

105 sales

CGC 9.4       5.4-to-1

77 sales

CGC 9.2       8.5-to-1

57 sales

CGC 8.5-           9.0    10.4-to-1

91 sales

under CGC 8.5    1.4-to-1

90 sales

TOTAL 84% Direct-to-16% Newsstand

458 sales

avg Direct grade

CGC 9.01

386 copies

avg Newsstand grade

CGC 7.99   72 copies

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This topic is over four months old and according to Google results, no one has mentioned Benjamin Nobel's blog on the 26 pages of posts. 

You post about "cheap hucksters pumping Newsstands are spouting misinformation", but I'm the only one saying anything in the topic... ratios which are based on 5 years of data. 

How is anyone to know you're talking about someone else, who hasn't been mentioned at all? (shrug)

If I had a problem with your posts, I would be specifically pointing them out (and I have). If I had a problem with you or your site (an excellent resource), I would not post links to it.

Unfortunately, at this point, the Newsstand market cannot be separated from Nobel's blog and the fools who believe the junk it contains. The legitimate passion of any individual collectors is overshadowed by the illegitimate hype train.

24 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Since that graphic is getting out of date, and since GPA has started separating Direct and Newsstand sales, let's check up on the ratios:

90-Day GPA records - 7/28/2020 to 10/28/2020 = 458 sales for CGC ASM #300 (Universal and Signature)

Direct-to-Newsstand  Ratio
  CGC 9.8       37-to-1

38 sales

CGC 9.6       14-to-1

105 sales

CGC 9.4       5.4-to-1

77 sales

CGC 9.2       8.5-to-1

57 sales

CGC 8.5-           9.0    10.4-to-1

91 sales

under CGC 8.5    1.4-to-1

90 sales

TOTAL 84% Direct-to-16% Newsstand

458 sales

avg Direct grade

CGC 9.01

386 copies

avg Newsstand grade

CGC 7.99   72 copies

Can we get the prices of direct sales in that time span?

11 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Given the number of raw newsstands in 9.4 or lower being offered/sold this past month, watch for significant changes in the next 6 months to the direct vs newsstand chart that Valiantman has provided.

With that in mind, would people expect the actual quantities of Newstand to Direct copies that were actually published be comparable?

Presumably the only real difference would then be the mentality of the person that originally purchased the book, with direct copies being sold bagged and boarded and generally better protected.

4 hours ago, blowout said:
15 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Given the number of raw newsstands in 9.4 or lower being offered/sold this past month, watch for significant changes in the next 6 months to the direct vs newsstand chart that Valiantman has provided.

With that in mind, would people expect the actual quantities of Newstand to Direct copies that were actually published be comparable?

Presumably the only real difference would then be the mentality of the person that originally purchased the book, with direct copies being sold bagged and boarded and generally better protected.

We've got numbers to help us for Amazing Spider-Man #300:

January 2016 - 131 CGC-graded copies available on Ebay - CGC 9.23 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.35 average for Newsstand - 84.7% Direct edition, 15.3% Newsstand

August 2018 - 129 CGC-graded copies available on Ebay - CGC 9.12 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.28 average for Newsstand - 74.4% Direct edition, 25.7% Newsstand

Heritage 2003 through April 2020 - 301 CGC-graded copies sold - CGC 9.42 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.72 average for Newsstand - 86.7% Direct edition, 13.3% Newsstand

May 2020 - 66 CGC-graded copies available on Ebay - CGC 9.14 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.61 average for Newsstand - 81.8% Direct edition, 18.2% Newsstand

July-Oct 2020 - 458 CGC-graded copies on GPA 90-Day -  CGC 9.01 average for Direct Edition, CGC 7.99 average for Newsstand - 84.3% Direct edition, 15.7% Newsstand

41 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Since @Frankielo posted the full page from June 1976, people may not have read the section where Marvel said the UPC is on the front because it was required to be there.

marvel_upc_1976.png

I figured as much. Typical regulatory BS 

59 minutes ago, valiantman said:

We've got numbers to help us for Amazing Spider-Man #300:

January 2016 - 131 CGC-graded copies available on Ebay - CGC 9.23 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.35 average for Newsstand - 84.7% Direct edition, 15.3% Newsstand

August 2018 - 129 CGC-graded copies available on Ebay - CGC 9.12 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.28 average for Newsstand - 74.4% Direct edition, 25.7% Newsstand

Heritage 2003 through April 2020 - 301 CGC-graded copies sold - CGC 9.42 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.72 average for Newsstand - 86.7% Direct edition, 13.3% Newsstand

May 2020 - 66 CGC-graded copies available on Ebay - CGC 9.14 average for Direct Edition, CGC 8.61 average for Newsstand - 81.8% Direct edition, 18.2% Newsstand

July-Oct 2020 - 458 CGC-graded copies on GPA 90-Day -  CGC 9.01 average for Direct Edition, CGC 7.99 average for Newsstand - 84.3% Direct edition, 15.7% Newsstand

Would I be accurate in saying this may one day be a 10k book?

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Would I be accurate in saying this may one day be a 10k book?

Possibly - but it really depends on whether demand stays high.  ASM #300 spent a long time at $2K and has only spent a short time above $2K. 

There would be a big difference between temporarily peaking at $10K and becoming a "$10K book" (as the normal price).  It's been a "$2K book" for a while.