• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Prices are starting to flatten out and fall, last sale just now $3,900, another behind it roughly the same amount.

51961163-F113-48AB-A062-2A89E0703B68.jpeg

At auction that's still not too bad, even if it does show some fatigue. Hopefully the new normal will still be promising  :wishluck:

Thanks for updating :)

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

At auction that's still not too bad, even if it does show some fatigue. Hopefully the new normal will still be promising  :wishluck:

Thanks for updating :)

Yeah, not bashing sellers, it’s just to expensive for the average Joe like me. I think mid to high 2K is what I would pay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=amazing+spider-man+300+cgc+9.8&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Although i see several sales at bin $5000 or more or less

Also auctions at $4750 more or less

The under bidder had to get one at their price sometime

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=amazing+spider-man+300+cgc+9.8&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Although i see several sales at bin $5000 or more or less

Also auctions at $4750 more or less

The under bidder had to get one at their price sometime

Auctions are the worst thing that could happen to that book, unless the auction was at heritage. Sometimes these things happen

I paid about that much for mine, probably a little less, as I did a trade. So I take into account how much I originally paid for the books I traded and the cash on top of that 

Edited by Hollywood1892

Yup, seems to be about the right time for this book, and others to start dropping in price.  It’s basically the same pattern every year:

November hits and people start thinking about Thanksgiving, which leads into Black Friday and the Christmas shopping season, which leads into wallet tightening because the credit card bills come due in January.

so I expect a slowdown and decrease in prices from now through the end of Jan.  And the books will pick up again in February, just like every year prior. 👍🏻

Looking at GPA it was mostly flat all of last year at ~2k or hair above for 9.8. So that's where 2020 started until sometime around the summer when the uptick really started going. At this point it appears 4k is the 90 day average. The last 2 sales were a tad under 4k but there was a streak of sales before those of 5k or just under. So yeah I'd say this is one hell of a run up for 9.8

Screenshot_20201117-184737_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Looking at GPA it was mostly flat all of last year at ~2k or hair above for 9.8. So that's where 2020 started until sometime around the summer when the uptick really started going. At this point it appears 4k is the 90 day average. The last 2 sales were a tad under 4k but there was a streak of sales before those of 5k or just under. So yeah I'd say this is one hell of a run up for 9.8

Screenshot_20201117-184737_Chrome.jpg

Wow...a 9.8 sold for just above $1200 this year, that is amazing 

I don't sell on eBay but I was wondering what's there to prevent sellers from manipulating sold prices? Wouldn't a seller be able to post a book at a ridiculous price, then use another account to make the purchase then cancel the transaction, therefore logging in the sold price? eBay doesn't remove sold prices even if the transaction didn't finalize, right?  

8 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I don't sell on eBay but I was wondering what's there to prevent sellers from manipulating sold prices? Wouldn't a seller be able to post a book at a ridiculous price, then use another account to make the purchase then cancel the transaction, therefore logging in the sold price? eBay doesn't remove sold prices even if the transaction didn't finalize, right?  

Yes, it's possible.  GPAnalysis will flag a book that is relisted immediately (or soon after) it was supposedly sold with a note like "Seller relisted book following sale".  That kind of behavior is not as likely to manipulate the prices on books that sell frequently, like ASM #300, since there are plenty of other sales to compare and see whether it is an outlier.  For books that are very rarely sold, the "last known sale" could be a manipulation - but we're still far better off than when we just had dealers reporting to Overstreet/Wizard about books they actually had plenty as "hot" and "can't keep them in stock".  At least with CGC we have a serial number and an independent opinion about the condition - two alternatives to anonymous sales and overgrading.

34 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes, it's possible.  GPAnalysis will flag a book that is relisted immediately (or soon after) it was supposedly sold with a note like "Seller relisted book following sale".  That kind of behavior is not as likely to manipulate the prices on books that sell frequently, like ASM #300, since there are plenty of other sales to compare and see whether it is an outlier.  For books that are very rarely sold, the "last known sale" could be a manipulation - but we're still far better off than when we just had dealers reporting to Overstreet/Wizard about books they actually had plenty as "hot" and "can't keep them in stock".  At least with CGC we have a serial number and an independent opinion about the condition - two alternatives to anonymous sales and overgrading.

Exactly 

Here is a 9.9 for sale, locked in a safe since 88 hm

Ebay Auction

image.thumb.png.ffb7b45796655de9936c9b57604456ca.png

Description:

The Amazing Spider-Man #300 (May 1988, Marvel) this is a 9.9 been in safe sin 88. Shipped with USPS First Class. PERFECT  IS ALL I CAN SAY IT  HAS NOT SEEN  LIGHT OR PEOPLE SINCE 88  ITS BEEN LOCKED IN ITS MAX PRISON THETE IS ALSO A  299 2 ISSUE NUMBER 1 MOON KNIGHT AND ALOT OF BATMAN OH AN FANTASTIC FOUR 52 53  ENJOY IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT THESE BOOKS ITS SERIOUS MONEY

12 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Here is a 9.9 for sale, locked in a safe since 88 hm

Raw books aren't actually 9.9 and also sold as raws... ever.

Just because it has been locked away since 1988 doesn't mean it wasn't already a 9.2 when it was brand new on the shelf.  They're just paper, mass-produced. They don't start as 10s, and it didn't "get better" in the dark.

Yes, some raw books do get CGC 9.9 grades once in a while, but I would bet that no raw book described as "9.9" by a seller has ever been CGC graded 9.9 later.

Actual CGC 9.9 books are submitted by their owners first, not sold raw.

P.S. If the seller is actually saying it's equal to a PGX 9.9, that's more likely, since PGX 9.9 = CGC 9.6 :foryou:

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Raw books aren't 9.9... ever.

Yes, books do get CGC 9.9 grades once in a while, but I would bet that no raw book described as "9.9" by a seller has ever been CGC graded 9.9.

Actual CGC 9.9 books are submitted by their owners first, not sold raw.

P.S. If the seller is actually saying it's equal to a PGX 9.9, that's more likely, since PGX 9.9 = CGC 9.6 :foryou:

Yeah, seller thinks if it is untouched or unread it is a 9.9.

Curious to see if it gets any hits.

8 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Yeah, seller thinks if it is untouched or unread it is a 9.9.

Curious to see if it gets any hits.

What a goofy seller.  No experience selling, shows Fantastic Four #52 in the background, but doesn't have any unobstructed views or close-up photos of FF#52.  He does show two Moon Knight #1s and a Web of Spider-Man #1.

He might as well be a 7-year-old kid at a lemonade stand asking $1,000 for glasses of lemonade in late November during a pandemic.

Clueless... trying to scam people... and sincerely hopes some buyer is dumber than he is.

"Mahoney must think he's as dumb as we are."  -Proctor, Police Academy 3: Back in Training

P.S. I'm sure the hypothetical 7-year-old kid would have made fewer spelling errors in the description.

Edited by valiantman

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What a goofy seller.  No experience selling, shows Fantastic Four #52 in the background, but doesn't have any unobstructed views or close-up photos of FF#52.  He does show two Moon Knight #1s and a Web of Spider-Man #1.

He might as well be a 7-year-old kid at a lemonade stand asking $1,000 for glasses of lemonade in late November during a pandemic.

Clueless...would have made fewer spelling errors in the description.

This, I thought maybe it was an ad for some new miracle pill that grows hair and let's you levitate or something crazy, the way it is written

Try this one new trick! :news:

Safe!!!!!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

:roflmao: its like...Hey check out this "9.9" mirror I'm holding! Look at it! Isn't it just dazzling? 

200.gif

My favourite second hand sale item is when people list 'unused' mirrors. How are mirrors unused? Does it devalue it if you accidentally look into it?