• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2020 at 4:26 PM, davidpg said:

Also, don't underestimate the number of copies out there in the wild.  There are many copies hiding in stacks of seemingly worthless books at garage sales, "antique" stores, etc.  Takes work though...

Well, those most likley would not be higher grade copies if you are referring to flea markets and garage sales.  (shrug)

Now, if you are talking about uber HG copies being held raw in the collections of private collectors, there's still a whole ton of those still out there in the wild just waiting to be slabbed upon eventual sale.  hm  (thumbsu

On 1/1/2021 at 5:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, those most likley would not be higher grade copies if you are referring to flea markets and garage sales.  (shrug)

Now, if you are talking about uber HG copies being held raw in the collections of private collectors, there's still a whole ton of those still out there in the wild just waiting to be slabbed upon eventual sale.  hm  (thumbsu

Yes, I know of several local collectors with 10+ raw copies each.  And even though they were cherry picked from our LCS, I doubt a single copy would grade 9.8, given today’s current tight grading.  

a newly graded 9.8 is truly an Uber-grade for this book.  And while we’re on the subject,  given the number of submissions, where’s the proliferation of 9.9’s, let alone 10’s? 🤔

Edited by jjonahjameson11

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I know of several local collectors with 10+ raw copies each.  And even though they were cherry picked from our LCS, I doubt a single copy would grade 9.8, given today’s current right grading.  

a newly graded 9.8 is truly an Uber-grade for this book.

In total agreement with you that an unmanipulated copy right off the shelves of the LCS that has survived to this time in "virgin" 9.8 condition is truly an uber grade for this book.  (thumbsu

Any bets though that a small number of those 10+ copies could be lovingly hugged and squeezed into 9.8 condition, which I am sure was most likely done to a huge proportion of those well over 1,300 copies already slabbed at CGC 9.8 and up. hm

Especially since depending on the type of defects, have we not seen some books jump multiple grade increments when their potential has been maximized, with some even evenntually going from CGC 9.0 up to CGC 9.8 graded condition by the time it's all said and done.  :gossip:

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

In total agreement with you that an unmanipulated copy right off the shelves of the LCS that has survived to this time in "virgin" 9.8 condition is truly an uber grade for this book.  (thumbsu

Any bets though that a small number of those 10+ copies could be lovingly hugged and squeezed into 9.8 condition, which I am sure was most likely done to a huge proportion of those well over 1,300 copies already slabbed at CGC 9.8 and up. hm

Especially since depending on the type of defects, have we not seen some books jump multiple grade increments when their potential has been maximized, with some even evenntually going from CGC 9.0 up to CGC 9.8 graded condition by the time it's all said and done.  :gossip:

Over 30+ years, my buddies have moved at least 3 times each so factoring in the wear and tear of handling, transportation, and piling on box on top of box, I’d say it’s highly unlikely that more than 1 in 10 would would be pressed up to a 9.8

15 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Over 30+ years, my buddies have moved at least 3 times each so factoring in the wear and tear of handling, transportation, and piling on box on top of box, I’d say it’s highly unlikely that more than 1 in 10 would would be pressed up to a 9.8

If you are using a 10% rate, it actually sounds as though you are a bit more generous than me as to the number that could be improved up to the 9.8 graded condition level.  (thumbsu

Considering the huge print run and the fact that many collectors at the time went out of their way to snap up additional copies to preserve in their collections given that it was not only a special centennial issue, but also a Special 25th Anniversary issue, I can forsee thousands more being graded at the CGC 9.8 condition level over and above the current 1,300+ copies by the time it's all said and done.  hm  (shrug)

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I'm using a 10% rate based upon knowing how meticulous my friends were in selecting their copies at the LCS, immediately putting the books in mylar with backing boards, and the care and maintenance of the books in their storage environment throughout decades of ownership.

I'm certain there are others who are sitting on multiple copies since the day the book was released, who haven't been as meticulous about the books they selected nor the maintenance thereof, and hence, that 10% success rate of achieving a 9.8 is greatly diminished.

I hope this clarifies things.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Looks as though this book finally sold for $2,550.  However, looking at the bid history, there's some zero/very low feedback bidders.

I know I would not have purchased it.  I prefer blue labels.  If the 1st page was autographed and book was in a slab then I would consider it. 

On 1/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Looks as though this book finally sold for $2,550.  However, looking at the bid history, there's some zero/very low feedback bidders.

With a hope that it is a 9.8. No real way to tell page quality. What if it is OW/W.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Seems as though the discounted prices on the 9.8's and 9.6's were short lived, with 9.8's averaging around $4,800 and 9.6's averaging $1375 over the past few weeks.

Why is 300 his first full and not 299?

1 hour ago, SkintDoctor said:

How do you think the book will be affected once Venom 2 concludes in theatres?

For example, the value of Rai 0 dropped considerably after Bloodshot was released.

Because bloodshot was DOA and the former owner of valiant or whatever the company name is/was (doesn’t matter) that got fired from his own company told everyone to go buy Rai 0, then, Lemmings.

Edited by bluehorseshoe

5 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

Hopefully this does not ignite another debate since this has been discussed over and over. The simple answer that I have come to is that is what the market has decided. 

The market doesn't decide anything except prices.

19 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The market doesn't decide anything except prices.

Ok. I’ll amend my statement. The market decided ASM 300 would have a higher price. The comic collecting/investing/speculation/grading populace decided the first appearance. Those two entities have a symbiotic relationship. One would probably not exist without the other. I lump them together. Also, I was doing my best to use the word symbiotic in a discussion about Venom. 

23 hours ago, SkintDoctor said:

How do you think the book will be affected once Venom 2 concludes in theatres?

For example, the value of Rai 0 dropped considerably after Bloodshot was released.

First I have to say that I am an OG VALIANT fan and Rai 0 is one of my all time favorite comics. 

ASM 300 is an iconic book and Venom has a much larger fan base than Bloodshot. Also, the Bloodshot movie hit theaters at the worst possible time. Also, VEI had so much internal nonsense that the movie was hurt some. Also, VALIANT is not one of the big two. It all adds up to RAI 0 declining in value. It’s a shame too because that book deserves more recognition. I miss VEI and wish the old owner still ran the show.