• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

True, but if you saw a book at $5,000 from CGC and the same book at $4,250 from the other guy, you'd ask yourself if that's a fair discount because it seems legit.  If you see the other guy's book at $3,250, you have to ask "what's wrong with it?"

If I saw the book at $5K, I'd take a look at GPA and see that it was an outlier.

13 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The CGC 9.8 Blue label, white pages listed at $4K or best offer sold yesterday for $3.75K

I will say that there are a few CGC 9.6's still in auction that are already at strong prices.  It should be interesting to see where they end in the next few days.

And in addition to the 9.4's-9.8's, it should be noted that 9.2's have really taken off during the past 6 weeks.

Please tell me these are in US funds

The price on this book is insane right now. It has to be the demand rocketing because of people being stuck in their houses and are just bored and speculating. The prices are so high because people are actually paying more than 2-3 times what they were selling for on eBay just this past Spring. But I really think it is a bubble and once people get back out to the stores and conventions there will be a real price correction and regret as to what some have shelled out in the current environment. Just my opinion but this book simply is not worth what people are asking and getting....

Edited by Greatwhite
grammar correction

17 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

True, but if you saw a book at $5,000 from CGC and the same book at $4,250 from the other guy, you'd ask yourself if that's a fair discount because it seems legit.  If you see the other guy's book at $3,250, you have to ask "what's wrong with it?"

If I saw the book at $5K, I'd take a look at GPA and see that it was an outlier.

Well, I said "if you saw a book" - not specifically ASM 300 - but if there were only 2 of some book available and one was $5K and the other was $3,250, "something" is weird.  The $5K might be overpriced, but the $3,250 might be underpriced.  The seller of the $3,250 is the only one who could lose on a sale.  The seller of the $5K book isn't going to lose money on a sale.  They just may not find a buyer.

Just now, Greatwhite said:

The prices on this book is insane right now. It has to be the demand rocketing because of people being stuck in their houses and are just bored and speculating. The prices are so high because people are actually paying more than 2-3 times what they were selling for on eBay just this past Spring. But I really think it is a bubble and once people get back out to the stores and conventions there will be a real price correction and regret as to what some have shelled out in the current environment. Just my opinion but this book simply is not worth what people are asking and getting....

Go back 10-15 years and the exact same words were being said on this forum about Incredible Hulk #181.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Go back 10-15 years and the exact same words were being said on this forum about Incredible Hulk #181.

I recall that.

Even though this ASM 300 run up has been nothing short of (ahem) Amazing, I am still buying 9.6's and 9.8's towards achieving my goal of getting back to 80 copies of this book.

ASM 300 has the first appearance of (arguably, but not really) the most important villain introduced by Marvel in the last 50 years. I get that it's common, but the fact that you could have bought a nice copy for $100-200 for so long is insane. Look at the other junk in this hobby that commands hundreds or thousands and, in my opinion, this book was undervalued for decades. 

Edited by october

6 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

The price on this book is insane right now. It has to be the demand rocketing because of people being stuck in their houses and are just bored and speculating. The prices are so high because people are actually paying more than 2-3 times what they were selling for on eBay just this past Spring. But I really think it is a bubble and once people get back out to the stores and conventions there will be a real price correction and regret as to what some have shelled out in the current environment. Just my opinion but this book simply is not worth what people are asking and getting....

FWIW, its not just this book.  ASM 252, Thor 337, Secret Wars 8, Hulk 340, and ASM 238 are but a few examples of books whose value in 9.8 have matched the pace of increase we see with ASM 300 currently.

9 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:
12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What happened?

CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 was $12,000 to $20,000 ten years ago.  It stabilized around $14,000 five years ago.  It's currently $35,000 to $48,000.

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

FWIW, its not just this book.  ASM 252, Thor 337, Secret Wars 8, Hulk 340, and ASM 238 are but a few examples of books whose value in 9.8 have matched the pace of increase we see with ASM 300 currently.

Star Wars 42 as well. 

46 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The CGC 9.8 Blue label, white pages listed at $4K or best offer sold yesterday for $3.75K

I will say that there are a few CGC 9.6's still in auction that are already at strong prices.  It should be interesting to see where they end in the next few days.

And in addition to the 9.4's-9.8's, it should be noted that 9.2's have really taken off during the past 6 weeks.

9.6 sold here on the boards in the Copper Age sales forum today for $1,500: