• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recil Macon Pedigree
1 1

34 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mem72 said:

I think under 1000 in the cabinet on Anson street but I can tell you an interesting tidbit.  I was at a comic book shop in Abilene Texas that I think was on South 1st street.  The gentleman there said "let me show you an old one I recently picked up"

He laid it on the counter and I saw my dad's name.  17 year old me said "what in the h*** are you doing with my dad's comic and he quickly put it back under glass!"

It was the weirdest thing ever to see his name on something that another held quite valuable.  I've always theorized that the name writing on the books was to deter theft

but can't tell you that is why he did it.  My dad loved to doodle and write little saying on almost anything he had. I have old road maps with some of his art work "doodles" on the front and they are very dear to me!

I love stories like this. 

I'm sure when your father was reading comic books and writing his name on them,  he never dreamed that 80+ years later collectors would be salivating over them. 

Thank you for coming on and humoring us! 

9 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

This is the Macon copy. I bought it from Greg Buls at a show in Houston in late 1990. It was one of the few that didn't have a name written on the cover.

ht5.jpg

Hey Richard;

You should flip this book back to CGC so that they can slab it properly since it's good for the hobby place not to lose the provenance of these treasured books.  :luhv:

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I have one.No filled in coupons though.

Rn7IZ5.jpg

Nice book!  Curiosity question.  What identifies this as a Macon?  If you were to submit it how would CGC know that that's what it was?

Same question for the Human Torch #5 above...

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Nice book!  Curiosity question.  What identifies this as a Macon?  If you were to submit it how would CGC know that that's what it was?

The "mid C" marking on the cover is pretty consistent with the books from that time period of the collection, though I have seen other books from the panhandle of Texas with that code. On the Torch 5 I can trace it all the way back to Macon through Greg.

1 hour ago, mem72 said:

After reading this thread yesterday I looked up your dad on Ebay and was wondering the same thing about how that's identified as your father's. 

I'll email the seller and ask. 

3 hours ago, mem72 said:

Yes, that All Top 10 is amazing. Your father had such good taste.

4 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Yes, that All Top 10 is amazing. Your father had such good taste.

Yes, definitely a classic GGA bondage cover by Kamen.  :applause:

It still surprises me though how much these books are going for, especially when so many copies of them have already been graded, with a few in nice higher grade to boot.  Then again, like the listing says, this is a rarer pedigree and one that really doesn't come to market that often.  :luhv:

19 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

CGC identified it as a Macon, as did Greg Eides. I'm confident, but it's a great book in its own right.