• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone else have a problem with Comic Connect?
4 4

76 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I believe most bidders wait until the end of the auction at the end of the week to pay for their winnings so that they can combined their payment charges into one payment only and also have only one combined shipping charge.  :gossip:

I am sure your book will arrive safely into your hands very shortly though.  (thumbsu

I will do that next time!  Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Did you get a notice that it shipped or did it just show up?

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

I got a notice a week and half ago. USPS said it wasn't in their possession until last Monday.

20 minutes ago, piper said:

My win hasn’t shipped yet either.

I have not received even a notice (as to when they will ship) on ANY of my wins.  Not great customer service for an auction that ended 05/22/2020 (over a month ago).  At this rate I may receive my win(s) from the current Comic Link auction before I get my books from Comic Connect.

I think if I ever decide to auction off any of my books, it is unlikely I will be using CC.

48 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I have not received even a notice (as to when they will ship) on ANY of my wins.  Not great customer service for an auction that ended 05/22/2020 (over a month ago).  At this rate I may receive my win(s) from the current Comic Link auction before I get my books from Comic Connect.

I think if I ever decide to auction off any of my books, it is unlikely I will be using CC.

I'm conflicted on CC and Metro. I've never had a bad purchase from them and, if I can speak with Vincent,  I've made a couple of great deals through the years. What bothers me is the wait when you buy something. If I pay $1000 for a comic that is listed in regular inventory and has been there for a couple of years I would hope they actually have it in stock/on premise. This waiting for someone to ship it to them and then wait for them to ship it to me just introduces too many chances of damage. It bothers me and it has kept me from buying some of the more common items that I otherwise would have snapped up. I hope they actually have the items on-hand before they auction them. Seems like rolling the dice on whether the item will arrive and if it will be undamaged.

That said, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt on shipping this time because of the massive effect COVID had on New York. 

Ok, my silence has gone on long enough.

1. I won my Planet Comics 33 cgc 6.5 on May 21st, and I paid for it using my credit card on May 22nd.

2. 1 week later my payment was cancelled. I confirmed this with my bank who say they authorized the payment but it was rejected by the vendor.

3. no explanation at all as to what was going on, no emails at all.

4. I called them morning, noon and late afternoon every day for over a week trying to get an explanation and no one ever answered and I kept leaving messages with my email and customer number. I never heard from them.

5. I finally got through to someone on the phone 9 days after starting. That person did not work in billing/ shipping department and was going to hang up but I pleaded with him to please help me and he literally walked the phone to a person in the correct department who took my credit card information right then over the phone so I was able to make a credit card payment ( since they had arbitrarily cancelled my previous credit card payment I had no idea if I could even make payment that method )

6. Someone finally replied to one of my emails giving me some incorrect explanation as to what happened to my first credit card payment ( I knew what happened I wanted to know why they rejected it ) They told me it was declined to being over limit which is complete BS, I keep my card paid off and the balance available was 5x what was needed.

7. 3 weeks after the payment went through my account dashboard message changed to say they had shipped my book. This was the first email message I received from their system.

8. I received the book, and it is obvious to me the scan of the book was jacked up. The left is their scan, the right is mine which is far more correct to what the book looks like in hand. Is it purposeful...well I can't prove that can I?

I considered returning it, but a friend has talked me into keeping it.

Plan33comp.jpg

@Artboy99

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think that companies (especially those that are providing much desired collectibles to collectors) sometimes believe they don't have to offer any sort of reasonable customer service, since collectors will keep buying regardless of how badly they are treated.

I am happy to know you received your book (although I am shocked at how different the scans look).

Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, Hudson said:

@Artboy99

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think that companies (especially those that are providing much desired collectibles to collectors) sometimes believe they don't have to offer any sort of reasonable customer service, since collectors will keep buying regardless of how badly they are treated.

I am happy to know you received your book (although I am shocked at how different the scans look).

Thanks again.

I was definitely shocked.

My scan has the look of being scanned through a thin sheet of plastic covering the book and it really is a very good representation of how the book looks in hand.. Their image looks like it was scanned before encapsulation but also had all colors increased in saturation. The blacks are even more black.

The book is a significant upgrade for me though.

Edited by Artboy99

On 6/25/2020 at 10:23 PM, Badger said:

I'm conflicted on CC and Metro. I've never had a bad purchase from them and, if I can speak with Vincent,  I've made a couple of great deals through the years. What bothers me is the wait when you buy something. If I pay $1000 for a comic that is listed in regular inventory and has been there for a couple of years I would hope they actually have it in stock/on premise. This waiting for someone to ship it to them and then wait for them to ship it to me just introduces too many chances of damage. It bothers me and it has kept me from buying some of the more common items that I otherwise would have snapped up. I hope they actually have the items on-hand before they auction them. Seems like rolling the dice on whether the item will arrive and if it will be undamaged.

I don't know how many items they have on hand, but it's definitely not most items that I have purchased. I recently (last year or two) had a single win at auction, and went looking for inventory items to help reduce the per-book shipping costs. I purchased one additional item that I was later emailed about that "the consignor has said was previously sold and is no longer available."

As to auction items, every email requesting payment I have received from them over the years has stated:

"You recently committed to buy one or more items, and the seller(s) have already been contacted to ship the item(s) you've purchased to ComicConnect"

This suggests to me they don't have the items in hand, or at least they don't always. And if they DO have the items in hand, their shipping times are atrocious, even in the best of times.

I too am awaiting my purchases.  Not a big deal though - I am patient.  My personal policy is not to buy anything more from anyone until prior deals are complete.

On 6/25/2020 at 8:21 PM, Artboy99 said:

My scan has the look of being scanned through a thin sheet of plastic covering the book and it really is a very good representation of how the book looks in hand.. Their image looks like it was scanned before encapsulation but also had all colors increased in saturation. The blacks are even more black.

Was this a scan of the book through the CGC slab since it definitely looks like a sheet of plastic over your book?  Does the back cover also have this same look?  hm

Maybe they hired the guy that used to take the scans for Heritage or got some scanning tips from the guys at Heritage. :devil:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Was this a scan of the book through the CGC slab since it definitely looks like a sheet of plastic over your book?  Does the back cover also have this same look?  hm

Maybe they hired the guy that used to take the scans for Heritage or got some scanning tips from the guys at Heritage. :devil:

yes my scan is with the book in the slab. 

" Last Chance to consign to this Event Auction!" That's been up all week now. They're not even trying to put an end date on consigning anymore. Must be really slow.

I kind of wish they would get some of the CLink consignments. I'd rather have more auctions than CLink being 300 pages.

10 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

" Last Chance to consign to this Event Auction!" That's been up all week now. They're not even trying to put an end date on consigning anymore. Must be really slow.

I kind of wish they would get some of the CLink consignments. I'd rather have more auctions than CLink being 300 pages.

At least CL ships a customer's "wins" out in a reasonable time (or at least I have always found them reasonable).  Plus CL divides their auctions into sessions so that if you are only interested in one area of collecting (say Golden Age) then you can just look at that session.  I have no interest in looking through video games when I am trying to buy comics (although I am not putting down anyone else who chooses to collect video games - it is just not my thing).