• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disgusted with CGC at the moment...
4 4

215 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I know you don't want to, but please contact CGC. I'm sure they would want to know so they can address the weak link in their grading chain.

I paid thousands for a book that was C-1 (minor color touch). I had the CT removed, sent it in for regrading and it came back C-2 (grader's notes now say THREE more areas of CT). 

I contacted them and said that I wouldn't have bought the book if it was C-2. (The original grader's notes didn't list the other areas of CT).

They botched it. Not sure what they'll do.

They're intimating that they'll take it back to C-1, since the other areas are small. They sent me a mailing label, info to send it back as a mechanical error. They're also running it by Matt Nelson. 

They're trying to make it right. 

What? They are just going to put it back to C1 because they didn't catch it the first time? Is anyone else concerned about this?

1 hour ago, Iconic1s said:

Hello, did anyone get the chance to look this up before it was removed from the census?  I was going to pony up the $5.00 for the notes just out of curiosity but it looks like it has already been removed.

I learned this lesson about 10 years ago... I bought a CGC 7.0 Avengers #4 that looked like an easy upgrade with a press.  It had what the seller 'thought' was a 1/2 inch crease on the back cover and from the photos it looked to me like it may be able to press out.  I bought the book and sent it to Classics and that's when I learned it was actually a 1/2 inch tear and that the book had no chance at upgrade.  When I did buy the notes the tear was documented.  I still have the book... it was an expensive lesson at the time but has been a good investment since then because I held onto it.  I did not pitch a fit with the seller because from our conversations I did not get the feeling that he was trying to pull one over on me, just an honest mistake that I could have prevented if I had paid for the notes before buying such a book.  In life, sometimes it costs a few bucks to learn a lesson that you won't repeat.

I would have loved to pay for the notes on this Nellie the Nurse just to put this to rest.  If the centerfold missing was not noted I would have seen no reason not to at least plead my case to CGC... all they could do is so 'no' and I'd be no less worse off.  Now we'll never know if they made a mistake or not, or if they would have made it right, if they did.  

369179859_ScreenShot2020-06-20at2_07_47PM.png.2b8d2857e1c12d6098308d7a50cc0813.png

1993018002.png.63d554337eba37841be0e58ea61d4dc0.png

The system is still down...got the same message on my books.

18 minutes ago, wombat said:

What? They are just going to put it back to C1 because they didn't catch it the first time? Is anyone else concerned about this?

I was about to post the same question when I first saw it.  What, just un-notice the CT, like going back in time, like it was never there?? 

But I held off.  As I was typing, I realized they might have meant that they were going to remove the new small areas of color touch, so that the customer would not be impacted by their initial miss, return it to only having the 1 larger area of CT.  If they want to do that, and it can be done without affecting the grade, then I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

But I also realize I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, my interpretation, one of several possibilities, maybe not even correct.  Maybe the initial interpretation was correct - they are just going to walk back the facts.  Just doesn't sound like something you would do, though. 

1 hour ago, CJ Design said:

The system is still down...got the same message on my books.

Yes, it says now that I’ve exceeded my number of searches... as soon as I can, and if the book hasn’t indeed been removed, I’ll get the notes and post them here.

Edited by Iconic1s

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Yeah, looks sketchy for it to have been removed. @CGC Comics @Brittany M. any idea what's up with this?

CGC's system is offline today ive been trying to access my submissions all day. It might not be removed from the census yet, or it may, but gremlins are amuck in the CGC system right now...

18 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:
2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Yeah, looks sketchy for it to have been removed. @CGC Comics @Brittany M. any idea what's up with this?

CGC's system is offline today ive been trying to access my submissions all day. It might not be removed from the census yet, or it may, but gremlins are amuck in the CGC system right now...

Thank you @KryptoSpidey

Because @blazingbob was trying to get me a cert number today, and this explains why when he gave it to me it didn't work.... Hope there is no hard feelings there, lol

But dang talk about a cgc glitch causing some miscommunication eek 

:eek:

9 hours ago, stock_rotation said:

OP is not going to throw another nickel down this particular rathole. Because what does it get me? Who cares if it's in the grader's notes? It wasn't on the label, and I used the label to assume that one of the core jobs of the grader was completed and documented. If it's in the grader's notes but not on the label, how is that not still a huge problem? Do you pull grader's notes for every encapsulated book you've ever purchased? Should you have to?

There seems to be some confusion by some posters in this thread about my intentions. I thought it was clear in the first post, but I'll reiterate: I lost completely here. There will be no clever way to recoup my money. No one is going to cover this loss. Because of CGC's sloppiness, this book was a hot potato and I got caught with it. The original post was to tell you that what you've probably assumed is true about every slab that's passed through your hands is assuredly not. Some of you are skeptical of my claim, and you're not wrong to do so. With no proof, the only thing I can fall back on as "evidence" is that I'm not asking anything of anybody. That might give some of you pause to ask what's my endgame. The answer is that I don't have one. I didn't come here to find a solution, I came here to commiserate with people like @Max Carnage who also got burned.

tl;dr version: it's not just missed color touch or missed trimming you need to worry about. There might also be missing pages.

I still would not dismiss the possibility that CGC will make things right.  The chance may be small but it is not nil.  We have no idea of what they are aware of maybe there was a situation in house that would explain why this happened that they have since rectified.  Maybe other books were not page counted at the same time and they are aware of that.  We dont know what they know pls contact them.

yep 

even with known cert numbers that I've looked up within 2 days, the cgc resource of certification verification doesn't turn up diddly and I don't mean Bo!!!!

being patient, hope others are too :tink: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, wombat said:

It's my impression that the other areas they found are very small and on the spine and it's not that they missed them per se but that the book fell somewhere in between a C-1 and a C-2. Since the removal of the more obvious CT, they're going to see if it leans C-1. It sounds a bit wonky, and I do think they either missed the CT the first time or didn't adequately notate it on the grader's notes. And they are going to run it by CCS as well to see what can be done there. 

Not a great situation for me as a collector, but they're trying to make things right.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thank you @KryptoSpidey

Because @blazingbob was trying to get me a cert number today, and this explains why when he gave it to me it didn't work.... Hope there is no hard feelings there, lol

But dang talk about a cgc glitch causing some miscommunication eek 

:eek:

None of the above are sentences! lol

3 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

You just better watch yourself!

Universal wanted to name Back to the Future "Spaceman from Pluto"
Spielberg said nope.  he did what he wanted.

"Spaceman from Pluto 2!!"
naw

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Universal wanted to name Back to the Future "Spaceman from Pluto"
Spielberg said nope.  he did what he wanted.

"Spaceman from Pluto 2!!"
naw

Spaceman from Pluto would not have been a hit movie franchise! 

Just now, Comics4All said:

Spaceman from Pluto would not have been a hit movie franchise! 

it would have still succeded but would have been awkward to name the sequels.
BTF 2 -"Biff's Revenge"
BTF 3 - "The Blacksmith and the Time Machine Train"