• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disgusted with CGC at the moment...
4 4

215 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Not so much here... what I describe is good business sense.  Let's make believe I was still chasing after an ASM run of AF15-ASM100 and annuals.  If I was publicly following a thread and someone saw that I needed a few books in my run that they were listing, they might list it at a slightly stronger price seeing that the guy that really wants the book, wants it enough to follow the thread. 

This was something that was taught to me by a couple of board members when I joined.  Don't play your cards.  When I joined there was no function like we have so it was suggested to save the individual's sales thread as a bookmark in the browser and not to post something like "popcorn" or "following" if you were looking for anything of value or rarity. 

I'd rather see you as a mysterious Batman like figure.

Edited by kav

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Yeah ... my mind is mush - too much computer time 

Actually I have something going on that I have knots in my stomach over and it’s not allowing me to sleep. 

6 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Thank you for following up, @Get Marwood & I, but the action you show allows you to change your visibility status only AFTER you have followed something, instead of having it apply from the beginning.  So if I reply to a post, I am a visible follower by default, when maybe I just want to be an anonymous follower. 

I don't have a problem with people seeing what I am following, at this time, just was curious how to have it set differently from the beginning.  But it looks like you can't, unless you shut it off manually in the Manage Followed Content section.

I'm wondering whether I've just misunderstood what you're seeking to do here Lightning. If you're talking purely about the 'who follows this' box at the top of every thread / forum...

wft.PNG.0810c9eae57047f423813ba4e8268015.PNG

....then all you have to do if you don't want people to see that you are one of the followers is untick the 'Let others see that I follow this' box as below:

wft2.PNG.2e064b09b970e785f2bda5073a768b6e.PNG

If you want to apply that concept to every thread / forum you follow, then follow my earlier 'Managed Followed Content' instructions and that will stop you showing as a follower of that thread to those who click on the 'see who follows this' button.

From that point, every new thread you decide to follow, untick the box.

8 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Why do people troll around and worry what others see or don't see that they are following? Ive been around here for almost 13 years and frankly could care less who see's or knows what i do. This has been a pretty transparent board community for over a decade, lets try to keep it that way...if you feel like lurking in the shadows, are worried about who see's what you are doing, maybe move on...

I was just trying to answer Lightning's question Krypto. and failing from the looks of it!

I don't think it's a big deal whether people want to lurk or not - it's their business. The functionality is there, use it, don't use it. I don't use it much myself but can see how some guilty pleasure scenario might manifest - you don't want people to see you're following a car crash thread maybe, that kind of thing. Like admitting you liked Abba back in the day :bigsmile:

7 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

So if I reply to a post, I am a visible follower by default, when maybe I just want to be an anonymous follower. 

Reading your post again, this comment puzzles me Lightning. Can you elaborate? I'm intrigued. 

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Reading your post again, this comment puzzles me Lightning. Can you elaborate? I'm intrigued. 

I'm thinking that I shouldn't have to un-tick the box.  It should be un-ticked by default.  I know I can change it on the fly, or many at a time in Manage, but what if I preferred that it was blank from the get go?

If I reply to a post, according to my Preferences, I am now following that post.  It also automatically ticks the box "Allow others...."  Maybe I don't want it to apply that.

4 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I'm thinking that I shouldn't have to un-tick the box.  It should be un-ticked by default.  I know I can change it on the fly, or many at a time in Manage, but what if I preferred that it was blank from the get go?

There's a few scenario's like that around the forum - image resizing is a good example, where the default position isn't helpful. Just something to live with really I think - you'll only get 'first world problem' gifs if you persist pointing it out :grin:

4 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

If I reply to a post, according to my Preferences, I am now following that post.  It also automatically ticks the box "Allow others...."  Maybe I don't want it to apply that.

It doesn't for me. I've posted in this thread for example and I'm not following it. Can you post an image of the 'preferences' screen you're talking about? We're likely talking about different things here. 

58 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There's a few scenario's like that around the forum - image resizing is a good example, where the default position isn't helpful. Just something to live with really I think - you'll only get 'first world problem' gifs if you persist pointing it out :grin:

It doesn't for me. I've posted in this thread for example and I'm not following it. Can you post an image of the 'preferences' screen you're talking about? We're likely talking about different things here. 

In your notification preferences, https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/notifications/options/, there is a setting "Automatically follow content I reply to".  I have that checked.  So I reply to a post, and now following it.  Also, the check box is checked - "Let others see that I follow this", by default.  I can manually uncheck it, but not able to set the DEFAULT to anonymous.  No big deal, just thought I was missing something.  But I suspect it is one of those situations you mention.  Thank you for offering assistance.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

In your notification preferences, https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/notifications/options/, there is a setting "Automatically follow content I reply to".  I have that checked.  So I reply to a post, and now following it.  Also, the check box is checked - "Let others see that I follow this", by default.  I can manually uncheck it, but not able to set the DEFAULT to anonymous.  No big deal, just thought I was missing something.  But I suspect it is one of those situations you mention.  Thank you for offering assistance.

I see, right. I don't believe the combination of actions you are looking for here are currently configurable alas. It was fun trying though :bigsmile:

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Too much sausage? 

@porcupine48

Jim? Ryan want's ya. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:00 PM, KryptoSpidey said:

I'm still waiting for someone to pony up the $5 or $10 for the graders notes to see what was originally noted before anyone plays judge,jury and CGC executioner.... OP should be 1st to pony up with CGC note info on what YOU bought...

If anyone is still interested in these notes... here they are.  I'm chalking up the $5.00 as part of my education to add to my learning experience with my Avengers #4 crease/tear experience.

Notes don't mention the centerfold is missing.  I imagine anyone really looking for a centerfold would not have been 100% deterred by these notes, other than what seems to be the overall brittleness of the book.  My guess is that even if the centerfold was there, it may not have been one worth trying to put in another book.  Based on these notes it probably would have fell apart, but I would have bought it anyways to give it a try if I was desperate.  If it ended up not even being there at all after I bought these notes I'd be pretty irritated.

Only the OP knows how upset to be about this I guess.  If it were me I would probably contact CGC just to see what they say.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 10.26.00 AM.png

1 hour ago, Iconic1s said:

If anyone is still interested in these notes... here they are.  I'm chalking up the $5.00 as part of my education to add to my learning experience with my Avengers #4 crease/tear experience.

Notes don't mention the centerfold is missing.  I imagine anyone really looking for a centerfold would not have been 100% deterred by these notes, other than what seems to be the overall brittleness of the book.  My guess is that even if the centerfold was there, it may not have been one worth trying to put in another book.  Based on these notes it probably would have fell apart, but I would have bought it anyways to give it a try if I was desperate.  If it ended up not even being there at all after I bought these notes I'd be pretty irritated.

Only the OP knows how upset to be about this I guess.  If it were me I would probably contact CGC just to see what they say.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 10.26.00 AM.png

November 2018 is well known as a 'missing that the centerfold was missing' era of grading.

:tonofbricks: