• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disgusted with CGC at the moment...
4 4

215 posts in this topic

After reading what some are quoting, (I still wish we had a dedicated ignore feature) I will add the following.

CGC is deemed the authority on grading as they are the industry standard that the majority have come to accept and use.  Frankly speaking, you can have your little opinion.  You can have your little disagreement.  The fact of the matter is that when someone mentions graded comic books, anyone that is in the know refers to CGC as the standard.  Now, some are too young to remember the loose grading that used to go on before CGC.  I understand that back then they were still in diapers.  I personally believe that things were more loosely graded before the internet due to the supposed scarcity of most everything not at your local comic book store.  CGC came along and filled that gap once people started trading books on the internet and needed something they could depend on. 

• Now, when it comes to cards, people refer to PSA.  They were the first.  They are still mostly consistent and they set the tone.  
  • When it comes to sports autographs, I would say that Steiner Sports is the most reputable retailer of pro athlete memorabilia.
  • When it come to comics, the community, the industry, the collector base has looked toward CGC as the industry standard.

Now, has each company had a hiccup.  Absolutely.  To say otherwise is to deny fact.  Steiner had the hiccup with game used Eli Manning stuff. PSA had a couple of issues.  CGC has missed a couple of things. However, like the post office who will occasionally lose a piece of mail, these grading and authentication companies, much like the post office are still the most reliable in dealing with their respective business. 

Now,  some could argue until the cows come home.  For some, those cows don't ever seem to be returning because their sole purpose is to argue.  However, it really does not matter what a minority (and I do mean a slim minority) opinion wants to say.   The fact of the matter is that CGC is the grading authority because the majority of people trading comics look toward them to lead the way.  You can get all philosophical as you want.

To quote the great philosopher Richard Morgan Fliehr, "Whether you like it, or you don't like it, sit and down and look at it, because it's the best going today!!! WOOOOOO!!!!"

@jaybuck43  

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/22/2020 at 6:03 PM, Lightning55 said:

The thing is.....I don't lurk.  Whatever I am following is visible, always has been, to my knowledge.  I just wanted to know how the different settings work.  I also like to skim through owner's manuals when I get a new device, or car, etc.  I want to know what everything does.  Lots of things we have don't get used to their full potential.

But it was ASSUMED that I must be a lurker (not that there's anything wrong with that, as they say on Seinfeld).  I just set my areas of interest, get notifications, check some out, skip some, reply if I can be of any help, provide an opinion if someone is "polling" something - maybe.  I didn't have a reason to lurk, until maybe now.

I've been into comics close to 60 years.  Professional grading is relatively new to me, a year or so, picking up some info here.  That's my whole involvement.  Maybe get to buy and sell a couple of things down the road.

And then there's this: "a 146 IQ and owning a business, I'm a competitive surfer who traveled the world for decades. I have an oceanfront home, probably bought and sold more this month in books than you do in 5 years"  followed by " I don't puff my chest"

THAT'S funny.

:signfunny:

There's a lot going on in this thread, so let's just make sure that the important takeaway is underlined:

ABBA RULES.

@Get Marwood & I you're on thin ice, buster!

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

There's a lot going on in this thread, so let's just make sure that the important takeaway is underlined:

ABBA RULES.

tenor.gif

One word: cherokee nation

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

ABBA RULES.

tenor.gif

Don't worry Triple F. I've long since seen the error of my ways. I'm a Bjorn Again convert, you could say :bigsmile:

14 hours ago, kav said:

Ladies of the night are not paid to give an expert opinion.  Bad analogy.
The PGX market is so tiny compared to CGC you make my point for me.  People come to CGC, and pay more, because they are an authority.
You are not an authority on what constitutes an authority-the market of knowledgeable collectors is.

Sure they are.

If CGC is "an authority", then so is PGX. Market size does not determine authorities.

English is an authority on what/who is an authority. English dictates that CGC is not an "authority".

13 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

But can a shark beat a dolphin in a fight?  CGC is enough of an "insert synonym to authority" on comic book grading for it to be trusted on million dollar deals.

CGC is a respected brand, yes. I'm not disputing that. They're not synonymous with some type of grading authority, though. As I mentioned - 4 of the biggest sources for grading (if we can call OSPG that) all have different criteria that apply differently to each numerical value. They have authority over their own products, but not the execution of comic grading as a whole.

2c

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

After reading what some are quoting, (I still wish we had a dedicated ignore feature) I will add the following.

CGC is deemed the authority on grading as they are the industry standard that the majority have come to accept and use.  Frankly speaking, you can have your little opinion.  You can have your little disagreement.  The fact of the matter is that when someone mentions graded comic books, anyone that is in the know refers to CGC as the standard.  Now, some are too young to remember the loose grading that used to go on before CGC.  I understand that back then they were still in diapers.  I personally believe that things were more loosely graded before the internet due to the supposed scarcity of most everything not at your local comic book store.  CGC came along and filled that gap once people started trading books on the internet and needed something they could depend on. 

• Now, when it comes to cards, people refer to PSA.  They were the first.  They are still mostly consistent and they set the tone.  
  • When it comes to sports autographs, I would say that Steiner Sports is the most reputable retailer of pro athlete memorabilia.
  • When it come to comics, the community, the industry, the collector base has looked toward CGC as the industry standard.

Now, has each company had a hiccup.  Absolutely.  To say otherwise is to deny fact.  Steiner had the hiccup with game used Eli Manning stuff. PSA had a couple of issues.  CGC has missed a couple of things. However, like the post office who will occasionally lose a piece of mail, these grading and authentication companies, much like the post office are still the most reliable in dealing with their respective business. 

Now,  some could argue until the cows come home.  For some, those cows don't ever seem to be returning because their sole purpose is to argue.  However, it really does not matter what a minority (and I do mean a slim minority) opinion wants to say.   The fact of the matter is that CGC is the grading authority because the majority of people trading comics look toward them to lead the way.  You can get all philosophical as you want.

To quote the great philosopher Richard Morgan Fliehr, "Whether you like it, or you don't like it, sit and down and look at it, because it's the best going today!!! WOOOOOO!!!!"

CGC neither created nor perfected grading, though. And, as mentioned, their authority is not majorly appealed. They may have the largest share of encapsulated graded comic books, but they haven't graded the majority of comic books that are out there with a condition 'assigned'. How many times have we explained that CGC'd comics are a niche inside a niche...?

There is no such authority on comic book grading. If there is no objective standard for color touch (is Sharpie color touch, or is it a defect, it depends on the day) then how can one be an authority...?

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You know what I would consider CGC an authority on? Authentically-signed comic books.

Also grading comic books.

35 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
38 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Also grading comic books.

Is PGX an authority, too, then

Isn't that where the phrase, I have it on good authority that such and such comes from?

Yes pgx is an authority maybe not trusted or a "good one" though

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Isn't that where the phrase, I have it on good authority that such and such comes from?

Yes pgx is an authority maybe not trusted or a "good one" though

(tsk)

lol :foryou: it all seems semantics to me haha, but 

I would guess that anyone that can be held accountable for something, is in some way "an authority" haha

Carry On :tink: 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol :foryou: it all seems semantics to me haha, but 

I would guess that anyone that can be held accountable for something, is in some way "an authority" haha

Carry On :tink: 

How do we hold CGC accountable? We can't even eliminate Newton Rings... 2c

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Grammatical error.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

lol if you don't think we hold CGC accountable? that's why we mention to other's the newton rings when telling them about CGC, that's how we hold CGC accountable.

The Fact that CGC doesn't seem to be "able" to do something too much about it is different all together.....in the end I don't think it matters, just trying to help give a different way to look at it :foryou: 

Spoiler

3Hj8.gif

47 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is PGX an authority, too, then? (tsk)

Any entity/company that encapsulates and grades books that people purchase and resell, they hope for profit, would be considered an authority.  Otherwise they would not be in business.  Each of the major grading companies have the power to administer their grades, encase the books, and have their own followings.  So while you may disagree with it, yes even PGX is an authority.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC is accountable for Newton Rings and with the proper process will help someone resolve the issue by reholdering the book.  Unfortunately they have not found a way to resolve the underlying issue, that doesn't mean they are not trying or unaccountable for it.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol if you don't think we hold CGC accountable? that's why we mention to other's the newton rings when telling them about CGC, that's how we hold CGC accountable.

The Fact that CGC doesn't seem to be "able" to do something too much about it is different all together.....in the end I don't think it matters, just trying to help give a different way to look at it :foryou: 

Reveal hidden contents

3Hj8.gif

They're able. They're just unwilling.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

They're able. They're just unwilling.

by what authority do you say that :baiting:

Just Kidding!

But ya I've still had success with no rings on my submissions, thank God, I have a batch in there now that will require special notations on labels...... :wishluck: 

Silly of me to collect them when they're so new and hard to maybe get the correct notations.....

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess lol