• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disgusted with CGC at the moment...
4 4

215 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

Any entity/company that encapsulates and grades books that people purchase and resell, they hope for profit, would be considered an authority.  Otherwise they would not be in business.  Each of the major grading companies have the power to administer their grades, encase the books, and have their own followings.  So while you may disagree with it, yes even PGX is an authority.

CGC is accountable for Newton Rings and with the proper process will help someone resolve the issue by reholdering the book.  Unfortunately they have not found a way to resolve the underlying issue, that doesn't mean they are not trying or unaccountable for it.

PGX is an authority for PGX grading standards; Not comic book grading as a whole - which is the basis I've been representing.

As an example: I can say that my Infinity #1 is a 9.6. What authority does CGC have to disagree if I use OSPG standards?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

by what authority do you say that :baiting:

Just Kidding!

But ya I've still had success with no rings on my submissions, thank God, I have a batch in there now that will require special notations on labels...... :wishluck: 

Silly of me to collect them when they're so new and hard to maybe get the correct notations.....

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess lol 

That explains why you reply to my posts... :baiting:

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess lol 

That explains why you reply to my posts... :baiting:

I got lucky this time! I almost spelled it "Gluten for punishment!" ha.

The other day I told someone I liked tobasco on pizza, and it auto-corrected to tobacco, they thought I was ill in the head :insane: 

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

PGX is an authority for PGX grading standards; Not comic book grading as a whole - which is the basis I've been representing.

As an example: I can say that my Infinity #1 is a 9.6. What authority does CGC have to disagree if I use OSPG standards?

To me that is all opinion.  And honestly what authority does anyone have to disagree with you about anything?  None, except to have discussion. :)

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The other day I told someone I liked tobasco on pizza, and it auto-corrected to tobacco, they thought I was ill in the head :insane: 

I still think you are ill in the head.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That makes me hungry for some Red Baron Buffalo Chicken pizza. Fantastic stuff if you make the crust extra crispy. Haven't had it in a very long time.

I don't think I've ever visited on my phone, so, auto-correct ain't funkin' with my English.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That makes me hungry for some Red Baron Buffalo Chicken pizza. Fantastic stuff if you make the crust extra crispy. Haven't had it in a very long time.

I don't think I've ever visited on my phone, so, auto-correct ain't funkin' with my English.

I like red baron french bread pizza, don't care much for the circular ones.

Ya the phone can definitely be hard to navigate. On My phone if I quote someone then decide not to, it won't delete the quote in my response. I have to refresh and use the clear editor, then have copied to paste what I wrote or rewrite...

It's a whole thing the I hope doesn't get in the way when dr x contest hopefully happens later this year!

I'm rambling but lol

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
27 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

To me that is all opinion.  And honestly what authority does anyone have to disagree with you about anything?  None, except to have discussion. :)

Finally, someone gets it...

Oh I get it, but I am still going to debate and disagree if I so deem appropriate.  Free will is a glorious thing. :)

From my understanding when it comes to authority an example would be

The court system is an authority on law

The police are enforcers of the law

As collectors wouldn't a majority hold that if CGC deems a book is 8.5 then we accept that is what the grade is, therefore CGC would be an authority 

28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I like red baron french bread pizza, don't care much for the circular ones.

Ya the phone can definitely be hard to navigate. On My phone if I quote someone then decide not to, it won't delete the quote in my response. I have to refresh and use the clear editor, then have copied to paste what I wrote or rewrite...

It's a whole thing the I hope doesn't get in the way when dr x contest hopefully happens later this year!

I'm rambling but lol

I just wasted a half hour going to the store for them not to have Red Baron Buffalo Chicken.

I blame you. :mad:

This has become too tedious for me.
Rather argue abt how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I think that CGC (or any third party grader) is only held as an authority as much as each individual buyer and seller hold them as one within each and every individual transaction.

In the case of the OP, they held them as an authority which led them to conclude that this book would contain the centerfold they needed, but it did not.

The real question is probably whether they are infallible?  We all know the answer to that question is no, which leads to the ultimate question of how many, and what types of mistakes are they allowed to make before their ‘authority’ no longer means anything to either buyer or seller?

Enough of these types of mistakes and people stop relying on them as an authority. I thought that the whole point was to have books graded so everyone knew where a book stood. If a missing centerfold is missed, or CT, trimming, or any number of things are missed enough then what’s the point of third party grading?  Just call your raw what you think It is and be happy with that.

Somebody had a great example above of cracking a 9.6 and having it come back as a 9.8. Technically that shouldn’t happen but it does.  This is why I personally believe we are OWED mandatory grader notes below 9.8. If you can’t even tell me what defect my book had then who are you to knock it down a peg, particularly when you know how much of a premium a 9.8 pulls over a 9.6 in most cases?

I personally view CGC as an authority by, if nothing else, almost all of my searches include CGC in the string of words. I also know they are not infallible but hope I continue to be on the lucky side, unlike the OP. 

On 6/15/2020 at 8:53 PM, stock_rotation said:

I just bought a slabbed book, for which I (knowingly) overpaid. I needed the centerfold, so I planned on cracking it, removing the CF and selling it at a loss. I was willing to consider the loss in reselling it the price I paid for the centerfold.

I crack the book only to find out CGC missed the missing centerfold.

So now I get the loss and no centerfold. With no chance of a recovery, since I cannot return the book to the seller since I cracked it out. So all I can do is person_without_enough_empathy here on the boards. :censored:

Scan-200615-0002.thumb.jpg.43cb7395937622141c8cf8d2344d9377.jpg

There is a thread on here that is littered with the CPR fails and quality assurance gaffs that CGC has had.  I have a couple of label mistakes and we've seen a few over the years from totally wrong comic titles to restoration disclosed on a Blue Label that wasn't in the confines of Universal label accepted conservation/restoration notation. One thing I have learned through all this as you have painfully done so is that the CGC graded comic interior is a Schrodinger's cat. Until you crack the slab you have no idea whether that grade is or isn't legit despite their reputation.  Graders are human and make errors.  QA and encapsulation folks are human and also make errors.  Even if they were the same people doing the grading and slabbing they would still make mistakes that would propagate all the way down the line. 

What I would do in the future if you were ever going to try to do this or something like this is to have the slab sent to CGC/CCS BEFORE cracking it out and let them be the ones to crack and inspect the centerfold and possibly perform the restoration to the comic you planned to use the centerfold for.  This is the only way they could see for themselves first hand in-house that the centerfold was missing and have it reviewed by CGC for a reimbursement or purchase of the incomplete comic from you.

When COVID-19 is no longer an issue and conventions return, you could do the same in person at a CGC booth that has a grader or qualified CGC rep present.  For high dollar books I've always had them reviewed by CGC/CCS for upgrade or restoration removal.  It may cost a bit more to do so.

5 minutes ago, kav said:
26 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Anyone ever get the feeling that certain people did not get enough hugs growing up? 

"Son you did it wrong AGAIN!"

Blessed are the peacemakers? Lol

On 6/16/2020 at 5:29 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

Can a 1.0 include something like a missing centerfold? I know it should be on the label, but I wonder what the grader notes include.

The label should have said the missing centerfold that would have saved the buyer's headache.  It has a big misleading.