• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Fernando Valley Comic Con 6/28/20
1 1

64 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Are you bringing some good golden age Terry? If so, I will go! :) 

I was not planning on bring too much Golden age as this usually is a Silver/Bronze show.

I will gladly bring requests but have way too much Golden age to have a General selection.

I need titles and Publishers.

I see some people wearing masks while browsing over the bins. Gonna take awhile to get used seeing people with masks inside the comic show. Hope that no one got the virus from there. Good that a few of vendors managed to sell a few books.

:wishluck:

12 hours ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

Was a decent show considering the turnout wasn’t too great. I only brought slabs this time and sold quite a few. There was some good deals in the room. Most people definitely wanted to buy. Probably from being cooped up for the past few months. 

A59846BD-0DDF-448B-A460-AC179E9DD3A8.jpeg

A8D33E1D-6B9B-49D8-90E9-659625D39C0E.jpeg

B1C0BDC7-5DFC-4FBE-AD65-9B746E0FB56D.jpeg

Looks like “social distancing” was no problem there...

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I see some people wearing masks while browsing over the bins. Gonna take awhile to get used seeing people with masks inside the comic show. Hope that no one got the virus from there. Good that a few of vendors managed to sell a few books.

:wishluck:

Frankly, I can’t even imagine flipping books in those boxes. 

Well from the looks of this close-up this must have been the dealer with the best deals. It seems they weren't social distancing as well as they could have been when there was some potential hidden gems or bargains. I'm somewhat envious,  but I'm on the side of Robotman with being a bit more cautious about  riffling through box after box following a number of other people doing the same. God bless those that do and more power to them, but For me it's kind of like when eating at a restaurant and after taking a couple of bites you've had to dig a couple of hairs out of your mouth and then notice a dead fly in your salad. Am I eating someone's leftovers?

Also starting yesterday CA has closed down a bunch of counties again including L.A. so it looks like this show skated through just in time. Now let's see if Torpedo is going to make it. 🗣😳🗣🐇🗣😡🐒

IMG_3154.JPG

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Looks like “social distancing” was no problem there...

I have to agree with you. I was surprised that they didn’t mind being that close while digging in bins. I’m not ready yet to dive in digging the bins if I know people will rub against me in there. I’m tempted to go to one of the shows this year but still on the fence if should or not. I’m leaning to my safety sake at the moment.

Glad that it went thru alright... hoping the next show will be likewise (knocking wood)

18 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

Well from the looks of this close-up this must have been the dealer with the best deals. It seems they weren't social distancing as well as they could have been when there was some potential hidden gems or bargains. I'm somewhat envious,  but I'm on the side of Robotman with being a bit more cautious about  riffling through box after box following a number of other people doing the same. God bless those that do and more power to them, but For me it's kind of like when eating at a restaurant and after taking a couple of bites you've had to dig a couple of hairs out of your mouth and then notice a dead fly in your salad. Am I eating someone's leftovers?

Also starting yesterday CA has closed down a bunch of counties again including L.A. so it looks like this show skated through just in time. Now let's see if Torpedo is going to make it. 🗣😳🗣🐇🗣😡🐒

IMG_3154.JPG

Frankly, I don't know how it opened in the first place. Large gatherings are still a no no in LA. Different cities (not counties) seem to do what they want. One very LARGE flea market went on last weekend but all the rest are still closed in different cities. Yesterday, they closed bars back down in many CA counties (including LA) but not boarding Orange and Riverside counties. I suspect they will be this week. Oh, beaches are closed for a month as of today.

Torpedo sounds like the next one. They have the Palliadium booked and as a back-up a venue in Santa Ana. Santa Ana was the place with the most looting and demonstrators in Orange County and is currently experiencing a high amount of cases.

Why a 3 day show? Who cares about "guests"? Trying to replace SDCC? The worst part is probably no out of town dealers that used this as a stepping stone to SDCC. As a serious GA collector, there would not be a whole lot of reason to go anyway. And frankly, I don't like the tone of their announcement. Masks not required and barely mentioned. You have to sign a statement that you won't sue them if you catch the disease. But in RED letters at the bottom: "No weapons allowed". Frankly, a bit insulting. I hope it goes on for those who really want it, but unless things make a drastic turnaround, I probably won't be there either.

I really miss comic shows, flea markets, estate sales and the like but I have done amazingly well buying and selling on line for the past few months. Amazingly well. Stuff is selling strong and have picked up some great stuff for myself. The only thing I miss about shows really, is hanging out and talking with my buddies.

And, dirty con boxes are like eating the food left over on someone else's plate...

Edited by Robot Man

5 hours ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I took those pictures late in the day. Earlier was busier. People were buying. We did great. Table cost around $175. I grossed over $2k. I figure a good day. 

Very glad to hear. Sounds like a real good day for you. Sorry, I couldn't be there myself...

15 hours ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

John said to spread people around over a three day period is better than to cram all people in one day

Everyone is going to want to go on day one don't you think? We have both been. You can cover the entire room easily in one day. And that is with a full dealer room. Many of the dealers that I spend a lot with are not going. I have spoken with them and bought stuff in some side deals in the past couple of months. Only thing I would miss is giving guys like you and David a hard time...:devil:

Edited by Robot Man

53 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Everyone is going to want to go one day one don't you think? We have both been. You can cover the entire room easily in one day. And that is with a full dealer room. Many of the dealers that I spend a lot with are not going. I have spoken with them and bought stuff in some side deals in the past couple of months. Only thing I would miss is giving guys like you and David a hard time...:devil:

Gonna miss you at the Torpedo show Bob!  Maybe I won't get to see you until next Costa Mesa Show in Jan 2021 if that :( 

On 6/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I took those pictures late in the day. Earlier was busier. People were buying. We did great. Table cost around $175. I grossed over $2k. I figure a good day. 

It was a good day and felt great to be back doing things that we used to take for granted ,  The Valley con in CA went off without a hitch, attendance was low but everyone that showed was eager to spend money. Everyone had a mask on except me, I wore my clear plastic face Shield and everyone wanted to buy one for their selves. If no got the Covid, this was a great success!! It was probably safer than going to Walmart or Target.

You seem to mention  at Walmart and Target fairly frequently? Did you suffer a public shaming or deep rooted trauma at one point in life in either of these or another large department store? Was it a man in a funny hat who offered you a ride on their pet "pony"😷🐒🤔

IMG_1570.JPG

2 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

You seem to mention  at Walmart and Target fairly frequently? Did you suffer a public shaming or deep rooted trauma at one point in life in either of these or another large department store? Was it a man in a funny hat who offered you a ride on their pet "pony"😷🐒🤔

IMG_1570.JPG