• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Packaging comics - anyone have a recommendation for a cardboard cutting mat?
4 4

22 posts in this topic

I know there are many people on these boards that sell comics, and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a cutting mat.  I cut quite a bit of cardboard every day to ship comic books, but I currently use more cardboard layered on my table to protect the table. It gets very messy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use a layer of cardboard fitted to my workbench, but I coated the entire piece with a layer of shipping tape.  It will still slice open, of course, but you just throw more strips of tape over it, patching it up.  There's not much out there cheaper than tape.

Every now and then, I run my hand over the "mat" to see where it might be sliced or shredded.  Usually it's in the same "usual suspect" areas.  So I just wallpaper those sections with tape again, good as new.  I bet there are some areas that are more tape than cardboard now, but it doesn't seem to matter.

They're 30 x 72 and have two collapsible legs, and fold in half to carry it. I've had mine for many years and have cut enough cardboard to cover the Eastern Seaboard.

Self-healing cutting mats are made from independent tiny pieces pressed together to create a solid cutting surface. When youcut on the mat using a rotary cutter, the blade actually goes between the tiny pieces, separating them, and not cutting into the surface as a whole unit.

Amazon.com: Cutting Mats by Crafty World - Self Healing Mat for ...

23 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Copies of Ripclaw, Brigade, Ravage 2099, Second Life of Doctor Mirage, or Robin II seem to do the trick for me.

I use Ditko ASM OA pages-

Edited by kav

Don't laugh... 

When I have to cut a piece of cardboard, I sit down on the floor and cut on top of the plastic shield floor mat that I put my office desk chair on top of to protect the floor.  THAT thing is tough and because it is opaque I never notice any scratches or anything.

Skip the work and buy flats. Look up Local corrugated and they generally give you what you need. I get 200 12x9 ( really 11.75 x 8.75) flats for $10. 12x9x3 boxes 100 for $25.  T flats that are scored and fold into a flat box or 2 inch box also 100 for $25. 

I use H&A in York PA. Every small city has one or two. 

1 hour ago, ft88 said:

Skip the work and buy flats. Look up Local corrugated and they generally give you what you need. I get 200 12x9 ( really 11.75 x 8.75) flats for $10. 12x9x3 boxes 100 for $25.  T flats that are scored and fold into a flat box or 2 inch box also 100 for $25. 

I use H&A in York PA. Every small city has one or two. 

When you say "flats" and you referring to flat boxes that fold into a box? Then, you use these flats and cut them into the cardboard pieces you need for sandwiching comics in between the pieces of cardboard? 

Here's my one - in the garage and I must have cut a thousand cardboard oblongs on it down the years (which I find quite therapeutic). Still going strong :)

20200617_141453.thumb.jpg.93792833283b7d5ebfaa7a02dddb8026.jpg

1 hour ago, Motor City Rob said:

When you say "flats" and you referring to flat boxes that fold into a box? Then, you use these flats and cut them into the cardboard pieces you need for sandwiching comics in between the pieces of cardboard? 

No. Just a 12x9 flat. Use two and some tape for shipping a $5 comic. Those are 5 cents. The T cross is a flat that makes a box via folding. Those are 25 cents. The 12x9x3 is a constructed box from cuts and glue also 25 cents. It comes flat where I have to pop it open and tape to make it a box. 

Time vs expense is worth it to have a currugated co do it.  Even if boxes are free how long does cutting 100 take?  Is that worth $5.