• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cameron Stewart accused of "grooming" young women
1 1

40 posts in this topic

went on date with 16 year old - not good but  no other allegations made.
drew a pic for a 19 year old - so what
claims of "he did this to everyone!" - no substantiation.

And I'm old and going to check the urban dictionary site - but didn't "grooming" used to be akin to mentoring or coaching?  When I read the headline I was a bit baffled that he was accused of grooming?  I am embarrassed but honestly asking - what does it mean now?

Grooming is something that sexual predators will usually do for their "prey" (a person that they want to fulfill their desire). They will provide positive reinforcement for the person they are grooming for their sexual desire and then deciding when done with the individual, toss them away and be mean to them.

I'm not going to dig into this too much since I have no particular interest in this comic creator.

But apparently it involved a 16-year-old in Canada in 2009.

Canada's age of consent in 2009 was 16 years old.

That was kind of a big deal, it being 16. Because it had been 14 for over a century until May 2008 when it was raised to 16. Given that age of consent laws are a reflection of the mores of that locality, it wouldn't appear that his actions were inappropriate by Toronto standards.

11 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I'm not going to dig into this too much since I have no particular interest in this comic creator.

But apparently it involved a 16-year-old in Canada in 2009.

Canada's age of consent in 2009 was 16 years old.

That was kind of a big deal, it being 16. Because it had been 14 for over a century until May 2008 when it was raised to 16. Given that age of consent laws are a reflection of the mores of that locality, it wouldn't appear that his actions were inappropriate by Toronto standards.

I also dont know much-who does really but it looks like a smear campaign.  

1 hour ago, Greengiant said:

Grooming is something that sexual predators will usually do for their "prey" (a person that they want to fulfill their desire). They will provide positive reinforcement for the person they are grooming for their sexual desire and then deciding when done with the individual, toss them away and be mean to them.

Ah geez.  I am upset I asked (at myself.)  Thanks.

11 hours ago, kav said:

went on date with 16 year old - not good but  no other allegations made.
drew a pic for a 19 year old - so what
claims of "he did this to everyone!" - no substantiation.

She was 16, he was 32.

He's a creep and he's being rightly called out for it.

3 hours ago, Revol said:

She was 16, he was 32.

Agreed, just because it may be technically legal doesn't mean it's not creepy. Bringing age of consent laws into this sort of discussion...dude, no. It's gross. Maybe you can get away with trying to date a child in a court of law, but that doesn't make you any less of a scumbag.

There are several stories floating around about the guy. Maybe they're not true, but I'd tend to believe the women, simply because there is no benefit to them for lying about it. The stories add up and paint a picture of a pattern. Or maybe a bunch of women who don't know each other all got together to form a secret campaign to :checks notes: bring down a comic book creator that most people within the comic book community aren't even familiar with. Sure. :cough:

12 hours ago, Revol said:

She was 16, he was 32.

8 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Creepy, but not illegal if the age of consent is 16. Definitely should have known better on his part. 

I read a quote attributed to the complainant in which she says he didn't initiate an intimate relationship until she was 18.  Questionable, maybe, but unless/until there is more... 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:31 AM, Wolverinex said:

Strange, yes. I agree that we move on to another topic.

I think everyone should know about creeps like this.  Don't help him hide from the comic community, focus some light on him to bring out other people who he may have preyed upon.  Unless of course you cheer for the bad guys in all the funny books you read. 

2 hours ago, JJ-4 said:

I think everyone should know about creeps like this.  Don't help him hide from the comic community, focus some light on him to bring out other people who he may have preyed upon.  Unless of course you cheer for the bad guys in all the funny books you read. 

I have no idea who he is.  It's a strange story.  Not sure what else you want to talk about in this thread other then make fun of him more and drag his name through the mud.. do you know him or his alleged victims personally or some insight into the situation? I don't.  I'm not going to speculate based on random tweets about what happened. 

All the gossip and public shaming would do better on other avenues such as twitter or reddit.   If this person really broke the law, the police will take care of him.

Edited by Wolverinex