• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cameron Stewart accused of "grooming" young women
1 1

40 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I have no idea who he is.  It's a strange story.  Not sure what else you want to talk about in this thread other then make fun of him more and drag his name through the mud.. do you know him or his alleged victims personally or some insight into the situation? I don't.  I'm not going to speculate based on random tweets about what happened. 

All the gossip and public shaming would do better on other avenues such as twitter or reddit.   If this person really broke the law, the police will take care of him.

We have no idea of the actual details of anything.  We dont know if the girl was interested in drawing comics and asked him to meet her at a coffee shop to discuss it.  we do not know if she got mad and then started accusing him of taking her out on date.  We dont know anything, but you get accused of something today you are toast.

3 hours ago, kav said:

Back in my day grooming meant you combed someone's hair or something :preach:

Yup.  And my preference was for Dapper Dan pomade.

On 6/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, roach04 said:

And I'm old and going to check the urban dictionary site - but didn't "grooming" used to be akin to mentoring or coaching?  When I read the headline I was a bit baffled that he was accused of grooming?  I am embarrassed but honestly asking - what does it mean now?

It's like fishing.  An older guy slowly builds a relationship with a younger female, testing the waters, dropping hints, watching the reactions, until he can get her into a position of accepted sexual encounter.  It's manipulation 

13 hours ago, kav said:

We have no idea of the actual details of anything.  We dont know if the girl was interested in drawing comics and asked him to meet her at a coffee shop to discuss it.  we do not know if she got mad and then started accusing him of taking her out on date.  We dont know anything, but you get accused of something today you are toast.

We do know the details. It's been well documented on twitter if you research it. 14 women have come forward with similar stories that they were groomed by Stewart. It was an open secret in the Toronto comic book scene that he was a predator.

Darwyn Cookes widow has been very vocal about it, and said Darwyn and her knew about Stewarts behaviour for years, and it was the reason they fell out with him.

10 hours ago, Revol said:

We do know the details. It's been well documented on twitter if you research it. 14 women have come forward with similar stories that they were groomed by Stewart. It was an open secret in the Toronto comic book scene that he was a predator.

Darwyn Cookes widow has been very vocal about it, and said Darwyn and her knew about Stewarts behaviour for years, and it was the reason they fell out with him.

Again, if he's done something illegal, let justice do its job. Until then, can we please stop referencing things we hear on Twitter. It's nothing more than a cesspool.

18 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

Again, if he's done something illegal, let justice do its job. Until then, can we please stop referencing things we hear on Twitter. It's nothing more than a cesspool.

I feel quite the opposite, if than many people came out with credible stories that he actually did this, even if he didn't break age of consent law people should know.

Would you let your young daughter or sister hang out with this scumbag????

11 hours ago, Revol said:

what are those details?  He went on dates with legal age girls and drew them pictures?  Where's the beef?  Not saying its true because I dont know but so far all I've seen is a nothing burger.

33 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

Yeah, well said.  Stewart sure sounds like a creep but but being a creep and a womanizer isn't illegal.  All this stuff is upsetting to see - but if recent Canadian law shows anything (the Jian Ghomeshi trial) - being a creep and a womanizer is really not illegal in Toronto. 

I know there are some good legal minds on this board - at what point do the accusations (on Twitter, and messageboards and comic book news sites, etc) against the Cameron Stewart's and Warren Ellis' cross the line into libel (or whatever the term is?)?  Stewart will never work again in mainstream comics.  Ellis has a bigger star and significantly deeper pockets but if some website costs one their livelihood - could one of these accused creators take legal action?

here is a quote I find informative

This is from the article about Warren Ellis but I think that it applies here.

"An argument I keep seeing: this is about "consenting adults". No. None of us consented to being manipulated, or to becoming a disposable part of a remote stable. You can not give consent if you don't have the entire picture."

1 minute ago, Bird said:

here is a quote I find informative

"An argument I keep seeing: this is about "consenting adults". No. None of us consented to being manipulated, or to becoming a disposable part of a remote stable. You can not give consent if you don't have the entire picture."

well that applies to everone including 80 year old women-what does he suggest?

22 hours ago, Senormac said:

It's like fishing.  An older guy slowly builds a relationship with a younger female, testing the waters, dropping hints, watching the reactions, until he can get her into a position of accepted sexual encounter.  It's manipulation 

Can you break this down a little further.  For instance, what kind of reactions might you be looking for.

Asking for a friend.

14 hours ago, JJ-4 said:

I feel quite the opposite, if than many people came out with credible stories that he actually did this, even if he didn't break age of consent law people should know.

Would you let your young daughter or sister hang out with this scumbag????

100% agreed. Nobody is suggesting what he did was illegal, but it was manipulative and predatory. 

Some of the responses from some people in this thread are truly depressing.

20 hours ago, Bird said:

Nobody ever has ‘the entire picture’ when they start a relationship.

That said, there are a couple of ugly undertones in these behaviours:  the first would be any suggestion of helping someone into the industry, to help leverage a relationship, the second is the pursuit of a relationship with someone far too young to have your matching social maturity and judgement.

Not illegal, but certainly not of high character.

59 minutes ago, Agent666 said:

Sorry, we only sell Fop.

50 minutes ago, Bird said:

I don't want Fop gdammit, I'm a Dapper Dan man.

Yup.  If Dapper Dan's good enough for Clooney, it's good enough for me.