• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Tales #102 with All detergent sticker
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting appearance of the very rare promotional All detergent sticker.  Obviously it's not attached to the Spider-Man #184 issue as we've all seen before!  I had to have it!  There's no indication I see on the cover or indicia that this is anything other than the regular issue of Marvel Tales #102.

Do we have any info about when the ASM #184 no-price variant with the All detergent sticker hit the stores?  MT#102 was on sale in Jan 1979.  ASM 184 was from Sep 1978, on sale in June.   It's a fair guess that the All detergent variant was reprinted some months later, or you'd probably just have used the regular comic for the promotion.  So finding this issue has me wondering if the ASM #184 might have appeared in stores around January, resulting in some retailer putting stickers on some other Spider-Man comics that happened to be handy...  hm

736947619_MarvelTales102withAllSticker-f3.thumb.jpg.5422423cdd4db27a13a320038bbec432.jpg

1128819963_MarvelTales102withAllSticker-indicia.thumb.jpg.ede0d3d34282915c3cdc53d202555b78.jpg

Well this is interesting. Was just reading more about the guy with the .35 cent version of 184 and how the theory was that the people at the store might have been sticking them on other books when they ran out of the promotional version. Although that he had it on a 184 would indicate that the promotion came out the same time as the regular book. Makes it a much bigger mystery seeing one on a different book that came out almost a year later than that 184 .35 cent.

I always thought it more likely the 184 no price version came out at the same time but was printed with no price for the specific purpose of attaching a sticker saying 'free' on it. And using the All! sticker just meant that other promotions could use the same book and attach their own sticker, if the desire was there.

10 hours ago, Warlord said:

Here's an interesting appearance of the very rare promotional All detergent sticker.  Obviously it's not attached to the Spider-Man #184 issue as we've all seen before!  I had to have it!  There's no indication I see on the cover or indicia that this is anything other than the regular issue of Marvel Tales #102.

Do we have any info about when the ASM #184 no-price variant with the All detergent sticker hit the stores?  MT#102 was on sale in Jan 1979.  ASM 184 was from Sep 1978, on sale in June.   It's a fair guess that the All detergent variant was reprinted some months later, or you'd probably just have used the regular comic for the promotion.  So finding this issue has me wondering if the ASM #184 might have appeared in stores around January, resulting in some retailer putting stickers on some other Spider-Man comics that happened to be handy...  hm

That's a thing of wonder Warlord :)

You should post it here too:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/457846-amazing-spider-man-184-all-detergent-has-anyone-seen-this-version/#comments

Bound to get a few more comments.

The sticker looks good when compared to a 184:

Capture.thumb.PNG.d1f1578207c95c3faadaa07b687f6eac.PNG

In its favour it has the translucent appearance that most legit copies have:

813248210_184(2).thumb.jpg.66bf7ddde45cc7c47d3ddae2bf6bd05e.jpg        1126255546_184(3).thumb.jpg.8d561fe52a12026dc7c941797e0863f6.jpg

1270921535_184AllDetergentStickered.thumb.jpg.5c2cfcdd2baba5d8218164cdab62bb64.jpg 184.thumb.jpg.e0b4d7037eee5edb46f161987152f8a8.jpg

I'd be interested to hear what @Spider-Variant and others think. There's bound to be many nay-sayers. 

If only it had no price....:grin:

Incidentally, we know from @GACollectibles thread above that CGC would encapsulate this simply as 'Sticker attached to cover' were you to submit it:

20063.jpg

Whilst your book is a cool talking point, the absence of any printed difference from a regular copy of Marvel Tales #102 denies it any official 'variant status', if that makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

26 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

184.thumb.jpg.e0b4d7037eee5edb46f161987152f8a8.jpg

I'd be interested to hear what @Spider-Variant and others think. There's bound to be many nay-sayers. 

We are... the nerds who say ... "Nay"!   lol

BTW, for those who have noticed the apparent "white" stickers, it may be nothing more than the difference between a scan and a photo.  My scanner, at least, hardly captures the color of the sticker at all!

Same comic on the scanner:

70447507_MarvelTales102withAllSticker-f.thumb.jpg.7f488b9d98ef26080f205b3a80525670.jpg

6 minutes ago, Warlord said:

We are... the nerds who say ... "Nay"!   lol

lol

BTW, for those who have noticed the apparent "white" stickers, it may be nothing more than the difference between a scan and a photo.  My scanner, at least, hardly captures the color of the sticker at all!

Same comic on the scanner:

70447507_MarvelTales102withAllSticker-f.thumb.jpg.7f488b9d98ef26080f205b3a80525670.jpg

Crikey, what a difference! It still is translucent though I see - the image of GAs book didn't look that way, leading some to believe it was a counterfeit. 

The scanned version looks very legit to me, even with nerd eyes :bigsmile:

13 hours ago, Warlord said:

736947619_MarvelTales102withAllSticker-f3.thumb.jpg.5422423cdd4db27a13a320038bbec432.jpg

Is it just me or does the condition of the sticker look a little too good when compared with the level of wear on the cover?

Also, can you post a pic of the inside front cover? 

Edited by Jeffro.

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It still is translucent though I see - the image of GAs book didn't look that way, leading some to believe it was a counterfeit. 

The sticker on mine is translucent in hand, scan may make it appear it is not.

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a thing of wonder Warlord :)

You should post it here too:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/457846-amazing-spider-man-184-all-detergent-has-anyone-seen-this-version/#comments

Bound to get a few more comments.

The sticker looks good when compared to a 184:

Capture.thumb.PNG.d1f1578207c95c3faadaa07b687f6eac.PNG

In its favour it has the translucent appearance that most legit copies have:

813248210_184(2).thumb.jpg.66bf7ddde45cc7c47d3ddae2bf6bd05e.jpg        1126255546_184(3).thumb.jpg.8d561fe52a12026dc7c941797e0863f6.jpg

1270921535_184AllDetergentStickered.thumb.jpg.5c2cfcdd2baba5d8218164cdab62bb64.jpg 184.thumb.jpg.e0b4d7037eee5edb46f161987152f8a8.jpg

This one is indeed a unicorn.  Agree with GetMarwood in the fact the sticker looks the same as the ASM 184 No Price edition.  

This and the stickered ASM 184 35 cent issues are hard to make heads or tails of.  Total mystery.

Nothing much to see on the inside.  The pic makes the sticker area  look a just a little bit whiter than it appears to the naked eye, but if you study the image you can start to see the circular area which is the back side of the sticker.

795326844_MarvelTales102withAllSticker-inside.thumb.jpg.99e41f41e0a56a4a319508335125f269.jpg

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Whilst your book is a cool talking point, the absence of any printed difference from a regular copy of Marvel Tales #102 denies it any official 'variant status', if that makes sense.

Yeah, as I noted in my first post, I can't spot anything that makes the comic itself different than the average copy of this issue.   I do have an ordinary copy of this issue in my collection, so eventually I'll compare them side by side, but it would surprise me to find a difference.

Edited by Warlord

1 hour ago, Warlord said:

Yeah, as I noted in my first post, I can't spot anything that makes the comic itself different than the average copy of this issue.   I do have an ordinary copy of this issue in my collection, so eventually I'll compare them side by side, but it would surprise me to find a difference.

What area of the country did you find this book?

2 hours ago, divad said:

With all due respect to the foregoing collectors . . . I would never buy a book with a big-azz sticker for laundry detergent on it, no matter what it's value. :sumo:

:flipbait:

And miss the opportunity to clean up?

19 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

What area of the country did you find this book?

I saw that your tracking map was littered with ASM184s on the East coast, however this book came from the West coast. At least that's where it shipped from, however I've not established if that's where the OO lived back in the '70s.

3 hours ago, Warlord said:

I saw that your tracking map was littered with ASM184s on the East coast, however this book came from the West coast. At least that's where it shipped from, however I've not established if that's where the OO lived back in the '70s.

Yes, my later efforts on tracking had a couple of copies of ASM 184 from San Diego, but like you, I was unable to establish if the book actual came from there.  I would say the distribution areas were New England, the Midwest (Ohio,Indiana region), and Texas.  I did see a couple of copies from Atlanta as well.