• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shaken Comic Syndrome, or Encapsulation issues?

15 posts in this topic

I received this from CGC a few days ago, part of a shipment of 25 from them.  Is this an example of Shaken Comic Syndrome, or something that went awry during encapsulation?  What factors would help one make this determination?

The first pic is a scan of the entire book.  The top right corner is folded over, as is a section of the right edge about a third of the way down.  The closeups I took, particularly the one edge-on from the side, show pretty clearly the current state of things.  I know those folds weren't there when I sent off the book, and I'd bet they weren't there when they left the Lake Mary Spa and Revitalization Clinic, either.

Either way, what are my options?  If it's something that occurred during encapsulation, I would think CGC would be willing to reholder it at no cost.  If SCS...?  I'm assuming this is also an overcover issue?  Thanks.

1432563361_GSDef3front.thumb.jpg.3856cd303a1807d4f6296c9c7ed55b81.jpg

395562558_GSDefclose1.thumb.jpg.ffcbff2a9d7c645912eddfb955408bff.jpg

243125216_GSDefclose3.thumb.jpg.66465cb5e3f85efb36a17c381f0a0531.jpg

Encapsulated I would say. Don't see book getting a 9.4 like that. Contact them. Hopefully they should pay for shipping, press it if needed and slab it. If it is no longer a 9.4 compensate you for value lost. They should make it right from stories I heard. 

7 hours ago, Carlucci54 said:

I received this from CGC a few days ago, part of a shipment of 25 from them.  Is this an example of Shaken Comic Syndrome, or something that went awry during encapsulation?  What factors would help one make this determination?

As Lizard Brain said, :eek:

You say the book came in a shipment of 25 - was there any damage to the box? Were any of the other books damaged?

If not, then it looks to me like this damage occurred during encapsulation as I can't see how shaking the book would cause such a pronounced crease at the top like that:

Capture2.PNG.88dbe09342169c5ba0af2694d20a8238.PNG

It doesn't look like it has been dropped, as the case has no cracks. So if you shook it like mad, the top edge would protect the top corner from bending like that, wouldn't it? 

Contact CGC as has been suggested. I'm sure they'll put it right if it came in a 25 book submission.

Good luck

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll get in touch with CGC and see what they'll do.  I've had one other issue in the past with a slab and they took care of it right away, so I'm not concerned about that.

There was no damage to the box at all.  Everything else looked great.

3 hours ago, Carlucci54 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll get in touch with CGC and see what they'll do.  I've had one other issue in the past with a slab and they took care of it right away, so I'm not concerned about that.

There was no damage to the box at all.  Everything else looked great.

Let us know how you get on Carlucci won't you. Hopefully a good news story it will be :wishluck:

I've been in touch, and CGC has sent a prepaid shipping label so I can ship it back to them, and they will do the re-holder and ship it back to me at no cost.

I know sometimes people get upset and complain when things go wrong, and CGC makes their share of mistakes (as do we all), but my experiences with them have been good, and they've made a real effort to make things right.

3 minutes ago, Carlucci54 said:

I've been in touch, and CGC has sent a prepaid shipping label so I can ship it back to them, and they will do the re-holder and ship it back to me at no cost.

I know sometimes people get upset and complain when things go wrong, and CGC makes their share of mistakes (as do we all), but my experiences with them have been good, and they've made a real effort to make things right.

All's well that ends well :)

54 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

All's well that ends well :)

Yeah, right. Good luck "fixing" the corner of that book. 

21 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah, right. Good luck "fixing" the corner of that book. 

that is the issue here of course. cgc has actually damaged the book during encapsulation. i've had several books with the same issue. one of them i had redone. they gave me the same grade but i dont really think it should be. if the book, when the corner is unbent, is no longer a 9.4, lets say the crease now breaks color, shouldn't cgc pay owner a fee for how much he just lost due to their error?