• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Arthur Suydam as an artist? Any collectors?

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I don't see him discussed here often and rarely see an original pages/covers only sketches and commissions. Any collectors out there?

I met him a few times. He only had prints for sale which I don't collect. I fondly remember his work in Epic Magazine and the Marvel Zombies. Very distinct style of artistry.

If you catch him at a show, he can draw something there if you give him enough time.

Otherwise, he's camped out selling those prints. 

I have to say, not a big fan of those Marvel (literal) zombie prints, content-wise. 

Otherwise, I think he's a pretty darn good artist.

Edited by Will_K

I like his art style very much and love his Marvel Zombie comic covers.  In fact, he was the first artist I ever got a commission from.   Being a very private person, I am not one to approach anyone out of the blue and especially artists whose artwork I have admired and whose names I’ve only seen in my favorite comic books and magazines (I remember seeing Simon Bisley at a comic con table and being too shy to approach him).  But Arthur Suydam made it extremely easy.  He was very friendly and outgoing and urged me to approach his table.  As others have stated, he didn’t have any original art to sell; only prints or sketch cover commissions.  When I asked him if he had an original art, he stated he never took any to conventions because he was afraid the airport would lose or damage them.

I ended up getting a sketch cover from him (a Spider-Man bust) which, I thought at the time was a bit expensive for what it was (being a newbie).  Had I had the knowledge I had now, I would have asked if a take home commission was possible.  However, I did recently commission Arthur, through his representative, during the recent Comic Art Live event where an 11”x17” take home commission was finally possible due to the recent pandemic going on.  I got a 2-character commission (Vega and The Baroness as zombies) so I’m expecting them to come out fantastic knowing what Mr. Suydam is capable of.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I didn't realize this went on.

Hmm...I did not either being a newcomer to this hobby.  I don’t quite remember how big his set up was at the comic con I attended but it was around the same time as the article ESeffinga posted.  It had to be at least 2-3 tables and was at the middle end of Artists Alley.  It is very selfish and careless behavior to displace fellow artists who registered their own tables in accordance to convention guidelines.  However, I cannot deny that my own personal interaction with him was positive at this event.

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

And his apology is even worse

The Montreal show changed its floor plan on Thursday, the day before the show, however they didn’t send out notification and only the 5 American artists at set up time on Thursday nite knew of the table placement floor-plan change.

The next day at show-time the Canadian artists unfortunately began hearing from a singular trouble-making fan artist who wasn’t there at set up who began spreading fabrications to the artists and online that the American artists at the row-end were taking their tables (and guess who that lucky artist on the end was).

The fan artist wasn’t in the loop on Thursday and so knew nothing. This is the guy who sat across from us all weekend long at his table with no fans and no one paying him any attention while the crowds flocked to the American artist’s tables.

Then the low-I.Q. online crowds, too lazy to check facts more interested to turn simple misunderstandings into an opportunity to create some trouble jumped in .

The show promoters have since come out and corroborated these facts.

13 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I don't see him discussed here often and rarely see an original pages/covers only sketches and commissions. Any collectors out there?

He's had various chapters to his career. 

I liked his early magazine work. 

The photoshop swipe portion of his career has been no bueno. 

His Marvel Game Card of Zarathos...

imageproxy.php-4.jpeg.1213f64f8910dfebe21eec89fd3cdf3d.jpeg

The totally coincidental and published well in advance of the above Pirates of the Caribbean promo artwork.

1202819893_piratescaribbeandeadmanchestcompletefront.jpg.c5b29e0ce6430f3c68056ab47e46d4eb.jpg

Edited by comix4fun