• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Arthur Suydam as an artist? Any collectors?

38 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

+ 1

I believe he like his art and want to purchase some,
but then...

Like reading Alice in wonderland
and then discovering Lewis Carroll...

and now I want to read up on Lewis Carroll...

Malvin

he is an odd duck in my opinion artwise. He did his own thing there for quite some time but was never the darling of the scene. At least I do not think so. But he did what he did well enough. Then along comes Marvel Zombies and 2+2=10 and he is hot as can be. But I would imagine few if anyone who was buying Cholly & Flytrap is interested in the Zombies work and vice versa. I never saw his contribution to the Zombies thing as being THE it factor (interiors were much more memorable) but he seized on it and a new chapter in the career is born. 

or I could be wrong

1 hour ago, Bird said:

he is an odd duck in my opinion artwise. He did his own thing there for quite some time but was never the darling of the scene. At least I do not think so. But he did what he did well enough. Then along comes Marvel Zombies and 2+2=10 and he is hot as can be. But I would imagine few if anyone who was buying Cholly & Flytrap is interested in the Zombies work and vice versa. I never saw his contribution to the Zombies thing as being THE it factor (interiors were much more memorable) but he seized on it and a new chapter in the career is born. 

or I could be wrong

I agree with this generally. His name was not on my radar at all until Zombies. When Zombies were in chic, his name was atop the mountain. I like the zombie genre casually, maybe catch a movie here and there but that's about it. I never really gravitated to the Marvel Zombie craze too much. He definitely took advantage of being the right artist in the right place at the right time. 

14 hours ago, grapeape said:

I’ve seen him West Coast

Anaheim

SDCC

Long Beach

Met him a few years back at a jersey show ... weird dude but not rude , at least from a collector’s perspective  ... regarding previous statements “ takes up a lot of spaces “ check “makes you purchase a print before signing “ check .... I was just lucky enough that CGC was there to witness ...

Absolutely LOVE his older work. The Mudwogs era stuff is beautiful, full of detail and reminiscent at times of Frazetta and Manara. As a person... I've heard the rumors. I've chatted briefly with him at shows and he seemed pleasant enough, but a reputation like he's incubated does not usually come unearned. It's one of those cases where you have to separate the art from the artist.

As a general rule, I do not permit the behavior of an artist to influence any of my purchases. Art should be viewed through the prism of its own quality.  Furthermore, doing so makes me the judge of their character, and I don’t believe in that. Certainly, other parts of the art market haven’t seen fit to do so in years past. Artists like Picasso and Dali weren’t exactly saints. And, “swipegate” just doesn’t strike me as the type of high crime deserving of a special exception to that rule. 

If you like it, buy it.

Team Sienkiewicz.

Also: Many give a pass to the icons in whatever field (within limits) for their human foibles.  I'm less inclined to give a pass to a dude who photoshops in crowds and takes his peers' space.  

That said, I don't know him, would grant he has his own side of the story, yadda yadda full disclaimer.

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 6/24/2020 at 5:24 AM, Rick2you2 said:

As a general rule, I do not permit the behavior of an artist to influence any of my purchases. Art should be viewed through the prism of its own quality.  Furthermore, doing so makes me the judge of their character, and I don’t believe in that. Certainly, other parts of the art market haven’t seen fit to do so in years past. Artists like Picasso and Dali weren’t exactly saints. And, “swipegate” just doesn’t strike me as the type of high crime deserving of a special exception to that rule. 

If you like it, buy it.

I’m generally the same but there’s so many possible situations.  I’ve had distaste for art based on the artist as a person before but it was temporary.   That said the artist could sour you on the art.   Rarely to never happens for me but if the experience was especially negative and the interaction especially personal it could happen.   If I commissioned someone and got “patience is a virue” in return I wouldn’t be happy.   By the same token an especially positive and personal interaction can make you appreciate art more as well.  

Edited by Bronty