• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spidey run vs. key
4 4

Run vs. Key  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather own Amazing Spider-Man 1-300, or Amazing Fantasy 15?

• The run is more fun!
    • The key is for me!

61 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, piper said:

Some of those are out of print and can be pricey to find on the second hand market.  I wish I owned copies of those.

They go out of print pretty quickly since marvel treats them just like floppies on the newsstands - the store puts an order in and once they can't be ordered from diamond any longer they're gone.  I have to stay on top of the previews catalog to know when everything gets a release date, here's the easiest way to do it online.  https://previewsworld.com/Search?mode=A&q=amazing spider-man omnibus

38 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

As I've always been more interested in reading comics it makes more sense for me to go for volume and say the ASM run.  I've never been that focused solely on an AF 15, and in the OCD condition I like it's always outpaced my pricing limit, so the whole argument's theoretical for me anyway, and another reason to choose run over mega-key.

As Steve pointed out, you would also deprive yourself of too many brilliant characters in this run; Mindworm, Rocket Racer and The Big Wheel, to name but three of the all-time greats.

Indeed. I know the thread issue range is 1-300, but 1-200 does it for me. Everything you need is in there. Never did like Venom. 

24 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. I know the thread issue range is 1-300, but 1-200 does it for me. Everything you need is in there. Never did like Venom. 

Hobgoblin was derivative but for some reason it was very captivating... 

As a reader I was more invested in "Who is the Hobgoblin?" than I was "Who is the Green Goblin?"

4 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i didn't know that...i never thought thr reprint books would be worth anything....

Check out the prices on ebay or amazon for out of print stuff.

I have both, including the entire run up to last month's issue. That's tough, but I would choose the run I still enjoy getting a getting a book and rereading the stories.

Edited by ernster

I would do the run.  Easy choice for me.  Issues 1-15 are chock full of great villains.  31-33 is a classic story.  51-52 is another tremendous trilogy.  That is just the first 52.  There is a lot of filler in the mid to late 100's through 200's but the highs outweigh the lows, I firmly believe.  I am building the run, but I will probably never have 1-5, 14, or 129. 

Edited by Spidey 62

9 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I was looking at some Overstreet values, and it struck me that AF15 guides in 9.2 for more than the bulk of, maybe all of, the ASM run. Am I alone in thinking that the run is not only cooler, but more prestigious? Vote!  

Considering how Spidey was/is the king of the Silver Age, I’m surprised at how affordable many of the 12 centers are in comparison to some of the other Marvels and DC’s from the same time frame!

I picked the run, I take more enjoyment in many than few.  What do I do with one comic?

Storage is a lousy excuse to pick the key, 1-300 fits in less than three short boxes.  There's still room for the Annuals, Giant-Sizes, and a pile of early crossovers.

I believe I'd take the ASM 1 - 300  too, especially if they were slabbed.  Think of the extra cost of 300 slabs vs. 1 slab  

On 6/17/2020 at 11:49 AM, shadroch said:

One book vs two short boxes of raw or eight boxes of slabs. 

On 6/17/2020 at 12:53 PM, Buzzetta said:

I have both... 

If I had to choose I would go AF15..

I have boxes of comics that I will never open except to replace the bags and boards. 

Just the way it is.   If I want to read it I will go digital. 

That's where I am as well. 

If somebody's offering, I'd also take Action #1. :devil:

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

That's where I am as well. 

If somebody's offering, I'd also take Action #1. :devil:

I have a lot of multiples of key books.  For example I have 6 graded copies of ASM14 laying around, I have 4 copies of ASM 50... multiples of single digit ASMs... I've thought keeping one copy of each ASM key for myself, selling the run from issue five current along with a lot of other things and chasing after a certain book I have had my eye on or buy another copy of AF15.

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I have a lot of multiples of key books.  For example I have 6 graded copies of ASM14 laying around, I have 4 copies of ASM 50... multiples of single digit ASMs... I've thought keeping one copy of each ASM key for myself, selling the run from issue five current along with a lot of other things and chasing after a certain book I have had my eye on or buy another copy of AF15.

I have collected a few multiples as well... ASM 13, 15, 20 (4 copies), 50 (ditto). They just seemed like good investments.

Young me would choose the run, no questions asked.  Not even close!

Me today, though, can access all spidey stories online, and also wants to massively downsize the collection, so...

Amazing Fantasy 15 no contenst.  

16 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I get that. I did the same thing, and have zero regrets.

I enjoy having a smaller collection (1 Long Box, 6 CGC Boxes).  I wouldn't go back to boxes of drek...

Over the last 35+ years I have managed to put together 2 full raw runs, and have almost finished my CGC run of 1-100.

In this time frame I have also owned 7 AF 15s

In the last few years I have sold all of the books except for my CGC run of 1-100 and 1 copy of AF 15

Collecting the run was a lot more fun and challenging,  especially when you consider 15-35 years ago I only had cons and local dealers to buy from ( you youngsters have it easy today :preach:).

38 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Over the last 35+ years I have managed to put together 2 full raw runs, and have almost finished my CGC run of 1-100.

In this time frame I have also owned 7 AF 15s

In the last few years I have sold all of the books except for my CGC run of 1-100 and 1 copy of AF 15

Collecting the run was a lot more fun and challenging,  especially when you consider 15-35 years ago I only had cons and local dealers to buy from ( you youngsters have it easy today :preach:).

They are just a whole lot pricier now.