• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to understand grades, pressing and cleaning- JME 112 - X Men 50

8 posts in this topic

Hi... I just recently decided that I wanted to bring my old collection out from my parents house after decades of it sitting in my childhood closet. I grabbed a few books that I had sitting on top because I remembered loving them, and left the rest until I could grab bags and boards... can someone look at the pair and tell me what they'd grade? I think they represent a big difference... and this whole pressing and cleaning things, would it help these books? A lot? A little? I'm just lost on how much things have changed - EDIT I just reread the rules, and realized I should not have posted 2 books at once... I won't do it again, very sorry. 

IMG_20200617_155159_compress39.jpg

IMG_20200617_155209_compress16.jpg

IMG_20200617_155213_compress80.jpg

IMG_20200617_155215_compress53.jpg

IMG_20200617_155231_compress20.jpg

IMG_20200617_155239_compress62.jpg

IMG_20200617_155242_compress45.jpg

IMG_20200617_155316_compress93.jpg

MVIMG_20200617_155243_compress25.jpg

IMG_20200617_161820_compress11.jpg

IMG_20200617_161824_compress80.jpg

IMG_20200617_161826_compress64.jpg

IMG_20200617_161831_compress36.jpg

IMG_20200617_161833_compress80.jpg

IMG_20200617_161847_compress42.jpg

IMG_20200617_161848_compress23.jpg

IMG_20200617_161850_compress11.jpg

IMG_20200617_161900_compress96.jpg

Edited by Tiggereth
Apologizing for 2 books in my first post, won't do it again

Didn't look at them long but thor looks like low mid grade good vg 3.0. Xmen high mid grade fine very fine 6.5. Creases next to artist look like manufacturing defects. They effect the grade for me personally but not so much or at all for grading companies. Press and clean won't help much with these.

Press helps bends non color breaking creases. Could improve a color break, not remove.  Dry clean gets dirt grime. Wet clean can remove more but is considered restoration. 

Look at lots of slabs. Pick up a old overstreet.

Edited by Myowncollector
Missed moisture stains.

3 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Least you took the time to read them, most don't  (thumbsu

JIM - 2.5

Xmen - 5.5/6.0

I try... And I was guessing 3 and 6.5, so I'm roughly in the range, I looked at a lot of books to try and understand. The fun will be when I get the rest, I have such vague memories of what I own, it's been 20+ years since I looked in those boxes

1 hour ago, Tiggereth said:

I try... And I was guessing 3 and 6.5, so I'm roughly in the range, I looked at a lot of books to try and understand. The fun will be when I get the rest, I have such vague memories of what I own, it's been 20+ years since I looked in those boxes

Yeah, you're in the same ballpark so that's good( not that any of us are ever 100% right all the time lol)

It will be fun for you & I'm sure it'll bring back lots of memories 

this whole pressing and cleaning things, would it help these books? A lot? A little?

Probably not much. At lower grades, major defects (heavy spine marks, long color-breaking creases) will overshadow the minor gains you will achieve from pressing.

Cleaning also would not help with moisture damage, discoloration/foxing, and rust.

I'm just lost on how much things have changed

Figure out what your goals are...

If you're interested in getting back into this great hobby -- and maybe sell some comics one-by-one -- take your time. It can take a year or longer to really understand grading, pressing, etc. These boards are a great place to start learning.

If you're interested in quickly selling your collection to make a few bucks, and you have a number of decent-looking silver/bronze books like the ones you posted above, consider consigning your collection to a reputable dealer. It is a lot less work than trying to do it yourself.

If you just want to revel in the nostalgia of your old comics, you should definitely do that, and not worry about grading or pressing. Order some fresh silver-sized Mylite 2's, some acid-free boards, and enjoy. :)

Edited by adampasz

54 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Probably not much. At lower grades, major defects (heavy spine marks, long color-breaking creases) will overshadow the minor gains you will achieve from pressing.

Cleaning also would not help with moisture damage, discoloration/foxing, and rust.

Figure out what your goals are...

If you're interested in getting back into this great hobby -- and maybe sell some comics one-by-one -- take your time. It can take a year or longer to really understand grading, pressing, etc. These boards are a great place to start learning.

If you're interested in quickly selling your collection to make a few bucks, and you have a number of decent-looking silver/bronze books like the ones you posted above, consider consigning your collection to a reputable dealer. It is a lot less work than trying to do it yourself.

If you just want to revel in the nostalgia of your old comics, you should definitely do that, and not worry about grading or pressing. Order some fresh silver-sized Mylite 2's, some acid-free boards, and enjoy. :)

I think that might be the route I want to go, get back into the hobby a little, sell some of my comics that I don't have any real attachment to, and go from there, maybe work my way up to one of those big issues I looked at as a kid and said "wow some day I'd love to own that". JIM I'd probably keep, I really was proud of that book when I was young, but the X-Men 50 I'd probably end up selling, same as things like x-men 10/40, nova 1, things like that, it's just hard to even remember what I have off hand, so that will be fun rediscovering... and seeing if anything I had even has value or things have grown in value that I didn't expect as a kid :D