• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Disappointed!!
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Went to a con at the end of last year, had infinity gauntlet #1 signed  by 3 people and CGCed .I got my book back at 9.4 

Sent the same book in for the private signing with Perez , Did not request pressing as it was a 9.4 and I already have it pressed at the end of last year.  Just got confirmation that the book was finalized and shiped so I checked the grade and it went down to 8.5 !!!!!!

I called CGC and spoke to 2 different customer service reps who essentially said too bad so sad!! Then said that the artist must’ve damaged the book

so instead of apologizing or whatever or telling me to send it back in when I got it and they will re-press for free to keep me A loyal customer they blame Jorge Perez..

I was planning on sending 4 more slabed comics in for the private signings but at this point I don’t trust CGC to handle my books correctly  or if something does happen make it right 

54 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Well, when I sent my Amazing Spider-Man #50 to be signed by Stan Lee and then by John Romita, pressing was required by Desert Wind Comics. When I asked why, I was told that the mere act of signing a comic can lead to a lower grade.

That makes total sense. 

When CCS removes resto, they also STRONGLY recommend a press. Same reasoning. 

3 hours ago, Lookie Lou said:

More proof how shady Desert Wind is. What a bunch of carp. I'd guess the reason they require it is because THEY treat books badly. To require pressing almost sounds illegal to me hm

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. The artist must move his hand around the book to sign. Could a crease be created? Probably. But when you're asking 94-year-old men like John Romita to sign a comic book, you can't expect him to have a perfectly steady hand.

I'd be willing to put more credence to your post after you learn the ropes around here. People with six posts shouldn't come here and pontificate. I must have lurked for 2 - 3 weeks before I worked up the nerve to post.

Watch and learn, grasshopper.

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

2 minutes ago, RayJr said:

@Tony S, you are definitely correct on your statement brother. When I started out getting sigs, I was obsessed with my signed books getting that 9.8 grade, but now, the grade doesn’t matter to me because the book is for my PC. I had Wolverine #1 & #2 cracked open. They were both 9.8 books. I had Joe Rubinstein sign them. I took a pic with him after signing my books and requested it to be pressed because the grip he had on my book made me cringe.

AAD36804-F5FF-4624-8686-53674EF1441F.jpeg

Man, that picture is difficult to look at. He really has the vice grip on that book! 

6 hours ago, Lookie Lou said:

lol You missed the whole point of my post, padawan. The poster said that Desert Wind REQUIRED pressing to be done. That is BS. Just more evidence of their shady business practices.

Listen, Jar Jar Binks. I was the original poster of the post you quoted. Perhaps "REQUIRED" was too strong a word. I think "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" was the likely recommendation.

I don't make arrangements for comics to be signed for a living. If a professional strongly recommends a press, who am I to suggest that I know better? I'm sorry that you're also bitter toward Desert Wind. I felt that they treated me fairly, and after the press, the grade was raised 0.5 points. My book started as a CGC 7.0. After two separate signings and a press, it came back at CGC 7.5. My book was Amazing Spider-Man #50, and, according to GoConnect, the CGC 7.0 was valued at $750, and the CGC 7.5 was $975. I would say I got my money's worth. The raise in value probably paid for 60% of the two signatures.

Also, if you look at GPA, an Amazing Spider-Man #50 CGC 7.5 signed by Stan Lee and John Romita sold for $1978 in August, 2018. So, taking a book valued at $750 and raising it 0.5 points and getting two legendary Spider-Man creators to sign it resulted in a potential $1228 gain.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out the way that you hoped. As @Tony S said, there's always risk involved. If you're uncomfortable with that risk, leave the book slabbed and rest easier at night.

16 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:
19 hours ago, Lookie Lou said:

More proof how shady Desert Wind is. What a bunch of carp. I'd guess the reason they require it is because THEY treat books badly. To require pressing almost sounds illegal to me hm

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. The artist must move his hand around the book to sign. Could a crease be created? Probably. But when you're asking 94-year-old men like John Romita to sign a comic book, you can't expect him to have a perfectly steady hand.

I'd be willing to put more credence to your post after you learn the ropes around here. People with six posts shouldn't come here and pontificate. I must have lurked for 2 - 3 weeks before I worked up the nerve to post.

Watch and learn, grasshopper.

lol He's not new. He's been here far longer than you have.

Edited by Jeffro.

14 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I'm sorry that you're also bitter toward Desert Wind. I felt that they treated me fairly, and after the press, the grade was raised 0.5 points.

I'm glad they treated you fairly but they don't have a very good rep on these boards. There have been many, many discussions about them over the years. 

14 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Listen, Jar Jar Binks. I was the original poster of the post you quoted. Perhaps "REQUIRED" was too strong a word. I think "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" was the likely recommendation.

I don't make arrangements for comics to be signed for a living. If a professional strongly recommends a press, who am I to suggest that I know better? I'm sorry that you're also bitter toward Desert Wind. I felt that they treated me fairly, and after the press, the grade was raised 0.5 points. My book started as a CGC 7.0. After two separate signings and a press, it came back at CGC 7.5. My book was Amazing Spider-Man #50, and, according to GoConnect, the CGC 7.0 was valued at $750, and the CGC 7.5 was $975. I would say I got my money's worth. The raise in value probably paid for 60% of the two signatures.

Also, if you look at GPA, an Amazing Spider-Man #50 CGC 7.5 signed by Stan Lee and John Romita sold for $1978 in August, 2018. So, taking a book valued at $750 and raising it 0.5 points and getting two legendary Spider-Man creators to sign it resulted in a potential $1228 gain.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out the way that you hoped. As @Tony S said, there's always risk involved. If you're uncomfortable with that risk, leave the book slabbed and rest easier at night.

How much did the signatures cost? That would cut into the potential $1228 gain a bit based on what Stan used to charge at shows.

54 minutes ago, kimik said:

How much did the signatures cost? That would cut into the potential $1228 gain a bit based on what Stan used to charge at shows.

Well, just the pressing, raising the book from 7.0 to 7.5, led to an increase of $225. I imagine Stan's signature, with pressing, was around $225. John Romita's signature was much less; my guess was around $150.

So, a book with a starting value of $750 increased to $1978 with me spending $400. $1978 - $750 - $400 = $828. So, the increase was $830, not $1228. Still, it's a hefty gain.

56 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm glad they treated you fairly but they don't have a very good rep on these boards. There have been many, many discussions about them over the years. 

Is there a thread about Desert Wind somewhere on the boards? Or, could you elaborate on why they don't have a very good reputation?

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Is there a thread about Desert Wind somewhere on the boards? Or, could you elaborate on why they don't have a very good reputation?

I have submitted to Desert Wind like 8 times and only had 1 minor issue with them that they fixed. They are a nice couple.

Edited by RayJr

35 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Is there a thread about Desert Wind somewhere on the boards?

As I said, many. Here are a few. To be fair many people have had no issue with them.