• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Disappointed!!
1 1

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Agent666 said:

Big difference between the two, no?

You know, it's been SO long since I got my Romita signature. If I remember correctly, I think that pressing and grading price was factored into the overall price of the signature. It's been over a year since I had a transaction with Desert Wind, and I'm getting to the point that I can barely remember what I had for breakfast today!

Is there anyone that has a recent transaction with Desert Wind? Was the pressing and grading just part of the overall price for a signature?

Welcome to Boards!

How to prepare your books for the signature series (for next time):

This is a nice presentation of the signature series windows and handling the books:

That is HOW I did those books back in 2009. I have no problem so far. Now I am retired from doing this today. Yes, it's a lot of painstaking work and patience.

Hope it will help and this will prevent other disappointments.

Good luck on your next venture.

7 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Very Disappointed!!

Can you change the name of the thread? I have to hear my wife say this every night, don't need to hear it here as well.

chicken or egg.jpg

On 6/19/2020 at 7:20 PM, JollyComics said:

Welcome to Boards!

How to prepare your books for the signature series (for next time):

This is a nice presentation of the signature series windows and handling the books:

That is HOW I did those books back in 2009. I have no problem so far. Now I am retired from doing this today. Yes, it's a lot of painstaking work and patience.

Hope it will help and this will prevent other disappointments.

Good luck on your next venture.

Thanks but it was slabbed 

On 6/19/2020 at 12:54 AM, Tony S said:

We all understand where Devin Spencer is coming from. For Devin, this is a brand new, unexpected and unpleasant result.  But for most of us, this is the same song that's been sung by hundreds of others thousands of times. 

Here is the short and simple: If you crack a graded book open for any reason - including getting a signature - you are not guaranteed to get the same grade if it is subsequently regraded. And signatures in particular have a number of people handling the now raw book in a bag BEFORE it ever lands on a CGC graders desk. Maybe the creator was rough with the book when they signed it. Maybe the post office was rough with the book in transit. Maybe the book got bent while being unslabbed (CGC states in terms and conditions it can happen) Maybe, maybe and maybe. The point is you had a certified book at a certified grade and then YOU decided to have it removed from it's tamper resistant and tamper evident holder secure holder. Thereby voiding the certification. 

If you value the grade more than the signature you are acquiring - don't break the book out for signatures. That's it. Because you take a chance on a grade drop. 

I don't know about "requiring" anything, but getting books pressed after signed is generally a good idea. Unless you aren't really concerned about the grade and just want it signed and the signature noted as authentic. 

I/we understand your pain. But you need to understand that this is the risk you take in unslabbing already CGC graded books for signatures. 

Thanks Tony! 

I am in no way a pro, I have been collecting all my life but got into the certification/signature/comic con scene about 10 years ago.  I have always preferred cgc over the others because (mostly) they are helpful and easy to work with at the cons.  If they had recommended a press I would have done it ( I definitely will moving forward)  I do not sell my books, they are for my personal enjoyment/collection so the grade is not sooo important.  I guess my issue is how far it fell 9.4 - 8.5 kinda felt like getting kicked in the nuts when i first saw it! 

3 hours ago, Agent666 said:

If this is true then don't waste your money on pressing. Hell, if you're not going to sell them, don't waste your money slabbing them (unless they're SS of course).

If you read the whole thread this is about  ss 

Same happened to me, bought a book for the G.P.in house signing. 

8FD58A08-C33B-40F4-BF57-21F5BDFF46FC.jpeg.1c6c8b17f2ca8cbfb3cb20d0ffe8c2c9.jpeg
I was very excited as this was my first go at submitting to CGC. So I figured I’d pay to have it pressed while it was open hoping for a little better grade (rookie mistake). Got the book back today.

4375075A-1E2C-4237-B8D7-27AE4D75CBA2.jpeg.361c944c37c826a326c075f8ef7277a6.jpeg

As you can see it lowered substantially! Looked at the notes and seen that the spine was split. Looking at the book I can see it’s split down to the first staple. Reading thru this thread I can understand how this could happen. It’s for my personal collection so chalk it up to lesson learned. Just started buying “slabs” this March and have become addicted! I have one more book down there for Jim Steranko to sign, fingers crossed.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:46 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

You know, it's been SO long since I got my Romita signature. If I remember correctly, I think that pressing and grading price was factored into the overall price of the signature. It's been over a year since I had a transaction with Desert Wind, and I'm getting to the point that I can barely remember what I had for breakfast today!

Is there anyone that has a recent transaction with Desert Wind? Was the pressing and grading just part of the overall price for a signature?

Are we railing on Desert Wind again?  Where's the end of the line?  I'm never subbing with them again and have no idea how they're still allowed to serve as an official facilitator.  It's a shame too since they work with some good creators.

But back to the point of the thread, it's unfortunate, but a lower grade is the risk you run by cracking it and re-submitting.  Maybe it's actually been damaged during signing, or maybe you got a tougher grader.  I once had a prestige format modern go from 9.8 to 9.6.  Not sure how that happened since it's not like the spine could get creased during signing.  Maybe one of the corners got bumped somewhere along the way?  Who knows, the book still looks sharp to me, maybe I got a grader on a bad day.  It is what it is.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:40 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Listen, Jar Jar Binks. I was the original poster of the post you quoted. Perhaps "REQUIRED" was too strong a word. I think "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" was the likely recommendation.

I don't make arrangements for comics to be signed for a living. If a professional strongly recommends a press, who am I to suggest that I know better? I'm sorry that you're also bitter toward Desert Wind. I felt that they treated me fairly, and after the press, the grade was raised 0.5 points. My book started as a CGC 7.0. After two separate signings and a press, it came back at CGC 7.5. My book was Amazing Spider-Man #50, and, according to GoConnect, the CGC 7.0 was valued at $750, and the CGC 7.5 was $975. I would say I got my money's worth. The raise in value probably paid for 60% of the two signatures.

Also, if you look at GPA, an Amazing Spider-Man #50 CGC 7.5 signed by Stan Lee and John Romita sold for $1978 in August, 2018. So, taking a book valued at $750 and raising it 0.5 points and getting two legendary Spider-Man creators to sign it resulted in a potential $1228 gain.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out the way that you hoped. As @Tony S said, there's always risk involved. If you're uncomfortable with that risk, leave the book slabbed and rest easier at night.

:roflmao:

On 6/22/2020 at 9:45 AM, Devin spencer said:

Thanks Tony!

I am in no way a pro, I have been collecting all my life but got into the certification/signature/comic con scene about 10 years ago.  I have always preferred cgc over the others because (mostly) they are helpful and easy to work with at the cons.  If they had recommended a press I would have done it ( I definitely will moving forward)  I do not sell my books, they are for my personal enjoyment/collection so the grade is not sooo important.  I guess my issue is how far it fell 9.4 - 8.5 kinda felt like getting kicked in the nuts when i first saw it! 

I'm no expert, but I would say that, in most cases you probably don't 'need' a press to retain grade.

The book is cracked out and then handled by multiple people, so I understand why a press would be recommended. It's very possible that the signer 'damaged' the comic.

I wonder if CGC would utilize comic bags with windows if we give 'em to them? Getting more sigs on an SS book is always a risk.

15 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Are we railing on Desert Wind again?  Where's the end of the line?  I'm never subbing with them again and have no idea how they're still allowed to serve as an official facilitator.  It's a shame too since they work with some good creators.

But back to the point of the thread, it's unfortunate, but a lower grade is the risk you run by cracking it and re-submitting.  Maybe it's actually been damaged during signing, or maybe you got a tougher grader.  I once had a prestige format modern go from 9.8 to 9.6.  Not sure how that happened since it's not like the spine could get creased during signing.  Maybe one of the corners got bumped somewhere along the way?  Who knows, the book still looks sharp to me, maybe I got a grader on a bad day.  It is what it is.

My other thought about them....I think they are still using Voldy today.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:49 PM, Devin spencer said:

so instead of apologizing or whatever or telling me to send it back in when I got it and they will re-press for free to keep me A loyal customer they blame Jorge Perez..

If he signed it as Jorge Perez, you may have other problems.